[Release] [Closed] Google Assistant Relay V1 - Google Home Audio Notifications!

If you’ve updated assistant or using anything but the original, then it won’t work like that as the smartsoo and DTH are broken and I’m no longer her working on them.

You can do it directly in webcore

You sure it’s a v1 Pi. They’re an ARMv6 chip and the assistant SDK doesn’t run on that

I got mine working again on Windows 10!
Here is what I did:

• I uninstalled it all, retaining the client_secret file.
  • I then installed node.js (v9.9.0).
  • I then rebooted the computer (a step that I had previously missed).
  • download the latest assistant-relay-master.zip from GitHub.
  • Unzip the assistant-relay-master.zip into a folder
  • from Windows Start, run Node.js Command Prompt (right click : Run as Administrator - possibly not necessary)
  • in the folder that I had unzipped to, I ran npm i. It showed errors in the build about not finding python, but I ignored them
  • copy in the previously saved secret file, or download a new one if you hadn’t saved one already
  • use npm run build-config to setup a user for the secret file.
  • run node index. it opens a webpage in the browser with the code from Google, which you paste back into the command prompt.
  • then, Google Home announces “Assistant Relay is now setup and running for graeme”. That had not worked before for me, so that was a good sign.
  • Using Webcore, create a piston that makes a JSON POST to the relay IP Address and port, like this:
    http://192.168.1.17:3000/customBroadcast?text="The Front Door has been left Open. Please close it."&user=graeme

Now when the kids come in and leave the front door open, Google tells them to shut it.

1 Like

This is the text that it was supposed to be broadcasted. It stopped at the bold word. It would be a little longer as i simulated this piston and it did not grab stuff from the calendar - but not too much longer…i limit to 2-3 entries only.

Good Morning Master Ryan. You slept for 0 minutes. Here is the horoscope for Scorpio. Risk is your middle name. Or it should be. What are you risking today, anyhow? . There are no activities today… . Before i leave, here is the quote of the day by Havelock Ellis. All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.

Yep it’s the original pi with all of 256 MB memory and single core processor.

Assistant sdk depends on grpc which was not building right for v6 chips. Found a solution here - https://github.com/grpc/grpc/issues/13258.

After that it was pretty much smooth sailing. Been running for 2 days now.

1 Like

I just updated to the latest version and can confirm that the DTH is still working in webCore. Selected the device and used customBroadcast without adding the user parameter. Adding the user parameter, however, does not work.

@ghesp just wanted to let you know…when updating to the new version, i originally had an error when running the index.js:-

Error: Cannot find module ‘C:\Users\Greg\Documents\Projects\assistant-relay\greg_client_secret.json’

After removing your user and key path from the file, saved it and the install went well. I think you left that piece of code in there when testing and did not remove it…just a heads up.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Ah bugger. You are right! Will fix that, thanks!

EDIT: Fixed

2 Likes

Hi @zimguy few questions here before I folliwing you guide.

uninstalled it all - What is means, what you really uninstall?

Glad I could help!!

I’m not at home at the moment (travel for work) and I don’t have the best setup on the road to do everything I need to for that. And I have to update my relay this weekend anyway, so I will capture everything when I do it and post another Wiki page.

2 Likes

Hi @emersonvier

I uninstalled the node.js software, python (which I had only installed to try to get the assistant relay working based on the error messages) and I also deleted the folder that I had previously unzipped the assistant relay into (make sure to backup your secret file first to avoid having to download it again). That means I was effectively starting again with the installation.
I have no idea why it failed the first time and would not work even if I just unzipped the assistant-relay-master.zip over the previous installation. I think that possibly, the computer reboot after installing node.js may have something to do with it.
Good luck - I hope it works for you too.

1 Like

please walk me through this.
If I restart my pi. Don’t I have to restart the Google assistant once again.
where would I insert the code.
Could you break it down for no as I am new to raspberry and got one for this project

How did you get it to run on start up. New to pi. Is there a code I must enter.

See my post earlier, and let me know if you have any questions or it doesn’t work.

I did this and didn’t work. It seemed you also had problems after.

What part doesn’t work? You also need to make sure that you do ‘npm install forever -g’ when in terminal in the ’
assistant-relay-master’ folder for this method to work.

tHAN[quote=“zimguy, post:638, topic:114674, full:true”]
Hi @emersonvier

I uninstalled the node.js software, python (which I had only installed to try to get the assistant relay working based on the error messages) and I also deleted the folder that I had previously unzipped the assistant relay into (make sure to backup your secret file first to avoid having to download it again). That means I was effectively starting again with the installation.

I have no idea why it failed the first time and would not work even if I just unzipped the assistant-relay-master.zip over the previous installation. I think that possibly, the computer reboot after installing node.js may have something to do with it.

Good luck - I hope it works for you too.
[/quote]

Thank you very much, works well now!

Can’t get it to run on start up. How did you do this. Via CD assistant-relay-master . Please provide a step by step as using pm 2 normally does nothing

yes but this is where I’m lost. Where do I enter what. Do go into the assistant relay folder using CD ~ .
Anyway to type a short dummies tut for me and others to follow on how to start a script on raspberry pi on startup. Only started to learn Javascript and c sharp. So new to python

After running the ‘npm install forever -g’, to get it started, just do this (assuming the folder for the assistant is called assistant-relay) -

cd assistant-relay
forever start index.js

That should keep assistant running at the background.

2 Likes