[Release] [Closed] Google Assistant Relay V1 - Google Home Audio Notifications!

When you ran node index.js di you get the “Assistant relay is now running for Chris”? You do have your Google home (mini) on the same network as your Pi?

Firing up, relay now working for the 2 users I have, no user specified, using default user.

Received broadcast command XXX
No user specified, using default user
Conversation complete

I have a regular google home, it is on the same network (subnet) as the windows PC i have running the node service. Do I need to specify the google home IP address somewhere? I have also port forwarded 3000 for the IP of the PC. Is that correct?

Maybe it’s only for existing users who set it up previous to some of the later changes, but the DTH and SmartApp are working for me - all my webCore pistons that use the relay still do so via the DTH.

I think Greg said just that he isn’t working on the DTH/SmartApp any more, so he won’t be doing any more dev/bug fixes to try to fix why they don’t work for all setups.

Did you run the configBuilder.js?

Yeah, it doesn’t work for me. No commands sent to the relay at all. Have to do it with a POST command.

I did. Set the port to 3000 and set up 2 users

You should not have port forwarding set up in your router. That’s unnecessary as long as your hub, Google home and relay are on the same network. So, what happens when you try to send a post message? Nothing at all? Can you post a screenshot of how you have it set up in postman?

Removed port forward
All 3 are on the same subnet, 192.168.2.XXX

you’re missing the user. Should be:
http://192.168.2.30:3000/customBroadcast?text=hello+world&user=YOUR_NAME_HERE
and make sure that the user is the same as what you defined in your config file. Same capitalization or it won’t match.

That’s no longer an issue if you’re running the latest version :slight_smile:

That shouldn’t technically matter as it should just use the main user, although I may have broken that with the update. Should log an error out in the console though if thats the case.

Is your Google Home announcing that the Relay has started up?

I’ve never heard it announce it. It’s possible I missed it somehow but I ran the setup multiple times. Is there a way to diagnose it if the server is running but google home isn’t taking commands?

It should say it’s running in the console, but also it will announce that its running

Should it announce each time I launch the script?

Yes, it’ll announce its running every time you run ‘npm run start’ or ‘node index.js’

Okay, it’s definitely not doing that now. Does it have any conflicts with subnets? As in 192.168.2.xxx?
Do they need to be within an IP Range? My GH is .111, PC is .30, Hub is .45

It shouldn’t matter as the Relay uses the Assistant SDK to essentially add another Assistant device to your account. It goes to Google, gets interpreted and then is passed back

You could send a custom command to it asking what the capital of England is, and it would log out in the console that its London.

The Relay just adds some endpoints that are automatically configured to use the broadcast command embedded within Assistant. You sending a post request to the relay saying “Broadcast hello world” is no different than you opening Assistant on your phone and typing “Broadcast hello world”

When I used the verbal command “okay google, broadcast testing testing testing” it replied with “sorry, there’s no other devices on your network”

What do you mean if the server is running but gooogle home isn’t taking commands? The commands should be going to the server, not the home. The IP address you have to define in the POST command is for the server.

Try saying “OK google, broadcast good morning” and you should hear the rooster.

The server is running, the IP in the post command is set to the PC hosting the server. I’ll try that command.

Are you running the server on a linux machine or in Docker?