[OBSOLETE] GoControl Smart Wireless Light Switch Cover WA00Z-1 (see post #135 for 2023 Edge Driver)

Does your device history update the events, like in the screenshot below? If not, try to go to settings and toggle “create delay for separate double tap”. You can also try “force settings update/refresh”. Also try assigning the device a stock zwave remote handler, then change it back to the custom one with the code linked above .

Zwave firmware updates are being piloted, but this device has no new firmware so there’s no update possible of the device itself. It has to be an issue with the handler or it caching an old version. Hopefully doing the things above gets it working again.

I get the device updates. I have toggles the settings. Those didn’t change anything. I am not familiar with how to change the handler, I will look into that.

You’ll have to go into the IDE. Go to your remote device, then edit, then under “type” change it to the stock zwave remote and save. Then change it back to the go control remote custom handler. This should hopefully flush out the cache issue

You may also need to exclude the remote and add it back again.

Changing the device handler worked. I like how I can set actions within the button instead of through SmartLighting.

1 Like

I can get rid of the flic buttons now. With the update top button does kitchen. Bottom button does living room.

2 Likes

@saiajin reported that they could not get double tap working through a github issue. I did an update to try and send double tap associations at preference update in addition to initial install. Import the update from mwav3 smartthingscode master or use the link above if you were having issues with double tap. Then push a button on the remote to “wake it up”. Then go to preferences and toggle “force settings update/refresh”.

1 Like

Hi Thank you for the quick reply! However I am a newb and am having trouble applying the update. Please see details on GITHUB ticket… Thank you!

I can’t get this switch to do anything. It is in Standby never actually does anything.
Does the GoControl WA00z-1 actually control a mechanical wall switch? I see settings about scenes and actions, I just want to turn the switch off and on. Did I misunderstand the box saying - control any switch, with pictures of wall toggle switches?

I posted some things to try on github, but you can also checkout this faq [OBSOLETE] FAQ: An Overview of Using Custom Code in SmartThings (SmartThings Classic, Groovy Code)

The switch already needs to be a smartswitch to use this remote to control it. This is basically like adding a 3way switch to an existing smartswitch. Or, a lot of people use it to control smart bulbs and put it over the existing switch so power to the bulb will stay on.

This go control remote will not make an existing dumb switch smart. You might be thinking of something like the switch in the link below, but they are generally not reliable with poor reviews. You’re better off replacing the switch with a smartswitch or using smartbulbs with this go control.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EV7FXRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_VP3aGbA9AFA0D

Instead of the Switchmate, which is a Bluetooth device and not integratable with much of anything else, there are two similar Devices which do work with smartthings and Which each physically move the dumb switch underneath.

There is a Z wave version from Ecolink which comes in both toggle and rocker forms.

And there is a Zigbee version from Third Reality which looks like a button.

Both work fine with smartthings, both fit over the existing dumb switch and physically move it, both are battery powered and do not require any wiring.

In the negatives, both are fairly noisy at the moment that they are actually moving the dumb switch, not as loud as a garbage disposal, but definitely loud enough to notice. And both are physically pretty noticeable, they don’t quite look like a regular switch.

But they do make a dumb switch smart without requiring any wiring, and they do work well with smartthings. They have been popular in the past for people who had an existing switch on a less common voltage branch, like a pump or a low-voltage sprinkler system, or just for people who didn’t want to do any wiring. They do both require a compatible hub, but the smartthings hub will work just fine.

Both will just look like a regular on/off switch to smartthings, you don’t normally need a custom DTH for them although there may be some in the forums. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks @JDRoberts . I remember looking into the switchmate several years ago and not being impressed. You’re suggestions are much better options.

They could definitely be an option for someone renting that can’t modify the wiring of their apartment, or for people not comfortable with rewiring a switch in general.

I can definitely understand the confusion the gocontrol switch can cause here though.

1 Like

I have the Switchmate and the Plug to allow it to be used globally… it’s completely unreliable… however I have the older version of both the plug and the switch…

Got 2x working but no 3x but I’m ok with 2x thank u!!!

1 Like

It was a couple of years ago, but when the gocontrol switch was first introduced by Linear (the parent division of gocontrol) I believe the intention was for it to act as a controller for their own Z wave lightbulbs, which, like the gocontrol, were marketed under a number of different brand names. So in that configuration it wouldn’t require any wiring, and it would take the existing switch for the ceiling fixture that the bulbs were put into and make that smart by covering it up so that the bulbs could always be left on power but you had this button device to control them.

But as it turned out, the bulbs ended up not being very popular, because they couldn’t work with Hue bridge and they didn’t have any comparable special-effects apps, so that left them with this device, which makes a little less sense without the smart bulbs. It definitely still has its uses, but the product descriptions have never quite caught up with its current use cases. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Glad you got 2x working…

3x is not really 3x, its “doubletap and hold”. There’s no equivalent to double tap hold so I used the 3x value.

Here’s the button mappings:

*   Button Mappings:
 *   ACTION          BUTTON#    BUTTON ACTION
 *   Single-Tap Up        1        up
 *   Single-Tap Down      1        down
 *   Hold Up              1        up_hold
 *   Hold Down            1        down_hold
 *   Double-Tap Up        1        up_2x
 *   Double-Tap Down      1        down_2x  
 *   Double-Tap Up Hold   1        up_3x
 *   Double-Tap Down Hold 1        down_3x

*  Note - Central scene control, aka single tap, still triggers on any double tap due to firmware of the switch.  
 *         If you don't want single and double tap actions to both trigger at the same time, a toggle option has been added 
 *         to preferences to create a delay that will disregard the single tap on a double tap.  
 *         However, this option will always create a delay of about 2 seconds when clicking the single tap while 
 *         the handler checks for a double tap.  If not using double tap set this preference to false to eliminate delay.

For advanced webcore automations, the button release is captured as well as a "holdRelease " event.

1 Like

It’s a great little device for the price…once u get it going!!! THANKS to mwav3!

2 Likes

Thats cool, this function leaving underneath the dumb switch (to make my wife stoping switching off the smart lights !!!). Is there any double switch to underneath two dumb switches ?

1 Like

@mwav3 Tim, forgive me. I’ve read through this whole chain and Iknow about Z-Wave associations and custom code but I’m not terribly familiar with direct scene control. I bought two of these GoControl devices on a whim(late night Amazoning…). Ihave stairs with 2 Hue Bulbs - at the top and bottom. I’d like these to cover the switches at each end and hopefully have the top button single tap to turn on just the closer bulb, double tap to turn on both bulbs and press and hold to brighhten. The bottom button doing the reverse of all 3. Is this possible with your DTH without webcore? Ican research more and keep noodling with it but wondered if my use case was easily obtained… TIA and thanks for maintaining the code for these!

Zwave direct association only works between two zwave devices. hue bulbs use Zigbee, so that’s not an option for direct association.

However, using the DTH that @mwav3 created you can have this gocontrol switch communicate directly to the SmartThings hub, so as long as your Hue bulbs are visible to smartthings you would set up rules to do that. Tim can explain what specific options his DTH makes possible.

Just be aware that these options will only work if the Internet is working and the smartthings cloud is available, because you are mixing devices of different protocols so the hub has to do the translation between them. That can be dangerous for lighting on stairs, so I wouldn’t normally recommend it. But obviously it’s your choice.