[OBSOLETE] GoControl Siren / Linear Siren / Vision Siren

Do you know the name or model # of the one from staples so I can add it to the top post?

Considering the kit with the siren, motion sensor and 3 contact sensors is on clearance for $25 at HD right now, this is definitely the perfect time to buy it.

The name of the kit that was on sale at Staples this past February was the “LinearLinc Z-Wave Siren Strobe Combo” part # 1LIWA105DBZ-2 , and it is no longer available at Staples so you won’t even find it on their site anymore… I looked up on my Staples order page to find this info for ya. And yes, I just purchased 12 of those premium kits and found out that at least 8 of them are returns so I will be going back tomorrow to ask why exactly they are reselling used items as new… They were very cheap, but I am not liking that they were already installed at another place prior to me buying the rest that they had on their shelves! Cheap is GREAT, used, not so much! Lol

Thanks for looking up the information on that siren.

You had me worried so I just checked the 3 I bought today and they all appear to be new.

Lol , It looks like a company may have purchased these because they all had little stickers on them with QC numbers and some tech number who installed it. The problem is that they just put the damn things right back on the shelves without saying a word about them being returned and used, so that kinda makes me feel like they thought they could just pass off some used crap to me! Well I will see about getting them a tad cheaper maybe?? :wink: I think about $10/kit should be a reasonable price huh…

How can you tell that they’re returns? Are the batteries unwrapped or …?

Batteries unwrapped, some of the motion sensors are written on with permanent black marker, a lot of the bags are either untaped or unstapled and several of the 3m backings are already used. Also, half of the door sensors have holes drilled right through the back plates that come off with the screw. So I think whoever had these probably was a larger company because it appears that someone wrote their tech number on each item that was installed by them. Just a crazy unboxing experience to say the least. Some of the sensors I have had to reset to get to pair, etc. Like I said, no big deal if I would have known and they were sold as open box, but they were sold as new so I didn’t expect that for sure… BTW: Are you using any kind of custom handler for the GoControl door sensors? I am not liking them too much because I can’t seem to get them to force talk to the hub like all of my other devices can do.

Wow, those really are used.

I’m not sure if this is what you mean, but I didn’t like that they didn’t regularly report in and I had no way to monitor if they’re still online so I ended up creating my own DTH for them:

PERFECT! Thanks bud!

[RELEASE] GoControl/Linera Siren v 1.2

This version allows you to delay the alarm and optionally turn on the strobe during the delay.

Breaking Changes

• Removed the Strobe instead of beep setting so if you were using that, you will need to use strobe instead and specify an auto off time.

• Removed always use both/on option from settings.

• Removed beep(length) command, but it will still work if you’re using it with speakText or playText.

• When you open the settings, you will see a couple of fields at the bottom that have no labels, if you clear the contents of those fields, they won’t appear the next time you open that screen.

• The beep functionality seems to be worse, but I’m not sure if that could have something to do with the battery being low or the fact that I moved it into a different room to do the testing and didn’t do a zwave repair after moving it.

New Settings:

• Added setting for “Alarm Delay in Seconds” which allows you to set a default delay time that will be used every time the siren, strobe, or both command is executed. If you leave it set to 0, it won’t have a delay.

• Added setting for “Strobe during alarm delay?” which allows you to specify whether or not it should turn on the strobe during the delay.

New Custom Commands:

• customBeep(beepLengthMS)

• customBoth(delaySeconds, autoOffSeconds, useStrobe)

• customSiren(delaySeconds, autoOffSeconds, useStrobe)

• customStrobe(delaySeconds, autoOffSeconds)

When using the playText or speakText commands to execute these commands, you do not need to include the word “custom”.

See the first post for examples of how these new commands work and how they can be used with SmartApps like SHM, Notify with Sound, and CoRE.

1 Like

Kevin,

Fantastic job with the contact sensors and v1.1 of the siren device handlers. I will update to the latest release and report back.

Any plans on writing an optimized handler for the included motion sensor?

Thank you for your exemplary contributions to the community!

I cannot get the speech part to work. I created a simple setup (if contact opens, speak this message) in both Rule Machine (almost the latest version - about a week short of it going away) and from the current version of CoRE. Both execute, and can be seen in the notifications.

If I use my DLNA speaker for both, that speaks (Tiny Dancer) works. The notifications shows it execute, but I don’t hear anything when I use the Siren. Any thoughts? I tried default volume of 50, and also tried 10, but still no message heard.

Thanks,

Ohhhh OE (Operator Error) Somehow I thought this did text to speech. My text should have said ‘strobe’ and it would strobe. Thanks for clearing that up! Darn, I was hoping to do TTS with this! Still very, very cool device handler for something that I got in that bundle deal that I wasn’t even going to use! With your handler I’ll now use it!

Rick

What command are you trying to execute through the speak this message field?

This isn’t a text to speech device…it only supports those capabilities so that you can use its custom commands with any SmartApp.

The first post lists which commands can be used this way and how to use them.

Sorry, I re-posted that because I realized I didn’t respond directly to you the first time, but you responded while I was doing that.

When it comes to the basic commands like strobe, siren, off, and both, other SmartApps already support them, but if you want to be able to use features like the delayed alarm or auto off, that’s where the speaktext functionality comes in handy.

You’re not the first person to think that, but I can’t think of another way to make all the custom commands accessible from any SmartApp.

Yes, I’ve created a DTH for it, but I need to fix a couple of things before posting the code.

When the DTH changes the alarm type, the red light automatically flashes once, but I’ve found that if you use the siren only option, the flash sticks and stays on the entire time the siren is on.

I added some code to prevent that from happening, but I just realized that if I made that optional, the users that have physically disabled the siren would have a way to turn the light on without having it strobe.

For those of you that cut or de-soldered the siren, let me know if you would find this feature useful.(@iandroo888 @N8XD)

If anyone thinks that this feature could cause the device to overheat or something, please let me know because I don’t want to add a feature that could potentially damage the device.

The beep function is not working very well for me either with the new ver. there always quite long like 2 sec. no mater how short I set the beep length. 1000, 500, 100ms
I have also reverted back to the old ver. and it works much better nice and short beeps most of the time. set at 1000 ms.

I have also noticed that the test buttons turn plain white some of the time so you can read what they do.
This happens on both the old and new ver.
I am using an Android phone.

I hope that this feed back is helpful.

Thank you for this APP, great job!

I was hoping that it was just me or that no one else was using the feature, but since that’s not the case, I’ll try to fix it.

When it works well, are you executing the beep command through the mobile app, or are you using a different app?

If using a different SmartApp, which one and what command are you using? (beep or beep #)

What are you using for the settings below in the old version?

• "What should the ‘both’ and ‘on’ commands turn on?

• “Always use both/on setting?”

I did a lot of testing and didn’t have that problem, but I forgot to upgrade to the latest version of the mobile app before testing.

Are you on the most recent version of the android mobile app?

I just upgraded the mobile app and I’m seeing the same thing so ST must have changed things again…:grimacing:

I’ll look into it and see if I can figure out what’s causing it. I appreciate the feedback.

It only works well (most of the time) when using the older ver. only the new one will not.
Both from the test beep in the DHT and if I just send a Beep command from CORE.
I have been trying to get a Rule that will beep, flash for 15sec, beep, flash for 15sec, then Both. if not disarmed. but I Have not figured out how to do this yet. (flash, then beep) ids the best I have done.
but I’m just trying to learn Core.

Siren and Strobe

OFF