[OBSOLETE] GoControl Siren / Linear Siren / Vision Siren

Downloaded it earlier, will let you know a little later.

Kevin, I updated the DTH to the latest and tested it for over 1 hour. The problem fixed. No more off message.

Thank you for your help :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you! Had this siren in a drawer for months. I still don’t trust it, so i will only be using it in strobe for now. once it doesn’t mess up for months, I will turn on the siren only to have it wake me up with a false alarm the next night.

really great work though. sad you have to do it, but thank you.

1 Like

Kevin, I just looked at this and now I do not get any data in the recent field of the device. I cannot even tell if it is still connected. Any way to at least get a minimal log?

The Recently tab should show activity like it turning on and beeping.

Depending on how the DTH is written, messages can be written to the Recently screen while the device is offline so manually checking that screen isn’t a great way to determine if the device is still online.

Assuming you have SmartThings Device Health feature enabled, you’ll know if the device drops offline within 3x the Checkin Interval.

For example, if you have the “Checkin Interval” setting set to 10 minutes, the device will change to unavailable within 30 minutes of it going offline. There are also SmartApps like Simple Device Viewer and Device Monitor that can send you notifications when devices drop offline.

If you’re using this as an audio device and using the custom message field to specify the track number you need to update to version 1.7.2. ASAP.

I have 2 editions of GoControl Siren - one with power cord and battery back-up (AC-powered) and another with 4 AA batteries (Battery-powered). After I updated both of them to 1.7.2, my AC-powered Siren began going offline. I exclude, rejoin it - and after a few hours it goes again offline.

P.S. I have update. Despite Smarthings app is showing Siren offline, when I press ‘BEEP’ - it executes the commands. Then it goes online for a while in the app. I will monitor activity and report here. By the way Checking and Battery reporting intervals are 15 minutes each.

P.S.2. Very unstable. Goes offline again after about 40 minutes after I pressed ‘BEEP’ and it appeared online. What I can say for 100% - when I press ‘BEEP’, it wakes app siren from OFFLINE for 15-40 minutes. Then it goes OFFLINE again.

P.S. 3 What should be also noted: that BEEPING status freezing at the app and is showing for a long time 'BEEPING" status. It is strange.

P.S. 4. I can not stop ‘BEEPING’ status (on the screenshot above). Even when I press ‘OFF’. Here is the log:

174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:59:22 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:59:21 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:59:20 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:59:20 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:59:19 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:59:19 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:59:18 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:59:18 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:55:13 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:55:12 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:55:11 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:55:11 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:54:45 PM: debug Executing off() command
174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 10:54:41 PM: debug Executing 0 Millisecond Beep

P.S.5 One error found in log. I am not a coder, however, I looked at 708 line and didn’t find anything relevant :frowning:

174c4b7b-9cbd-4f75-8373-31259d1db828 11:20:47 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘ID’ on null object @ line 708

Your SmartThings location doesn’t have a timezone which shouldn’t be possible, but I just released a new version that prevents the error.

That error was preventing the device from letting SmarttThings know that it’s online which is why it kept appearing offline.

You should be all set once you upgrade to the latest version.

1 Like

Perfect, everything works well now! Really appreciate your efforts! Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not having any luck getting my alarm setup the way I want it to perform. Ideally, when one of my door contact sensors opens and SHM is armed, I’d have a 30 second delay where the strobe only runs, and then afterward both the siren and strobe run for 2 minutes. If at any point during this process SHM changes to disarmed then the siren/strobe will shut off.

Anyone have any tips for completing this task? Do I need to set up my GoControl Siren under either of the “Alert with Sirens” or “Alert with Lights” Alarm & Notifications settings under Smart Home Monitor? What do my settings need to be set to under my GoControl Siren “thing”? Do I need to set up a piston in CORE to create some of these results?

I’ve been tinkering for months with these settings but I can’t seem to get consistent results with how my siren reacts. Sometimes the strobe silently runs for ~30 seconds and then shuts off on its own (without the siren ever activating), while other times the siren won’t shut off even after SHM changes to disarmed. Any help? Thanks.

Select the device as an alarm in SHM and set the off time to 3 minutes.

Use the following device settings.

1. 120 seconds
  2. Siren and Strobe
  3. Off
  4. Off
  5. On
  6. 30 Seconds
  7. I cut out the speaker so I can’t test if these settings will cause it to beep during the delay, but if it does, setting this field to 30000 should stop it.

The device’s response time is extremely unreliable so the settings above will sometimes turn on the siren after 30 seconds and other times it could be closer to 35 or 40 seconds.

If you’ve specified an auto off time in the device settings, the device turns off after that amount of time even if it was already turned off and then turned back on.

For example, if you have the auto off set to 120 seconds, tap stop at 90 seconds and then start another test 15 seconds later, the device will shut off after 15 seconds because it’s been 120 seconds since the prior test started.

I’m not sure if that’s what you were running into, but I know it was constantly messing me up while writing the DTH.

Thanks for the reply. I set it up this way and it seems to be responding the way I want it to now. Setting #7 I had always had set up as 150ms before. I also had previously set up the GoControl Siren as a light in addition to setting it up as a siren in SHM’s security settings; I updated it to just show up as a siren now. Thanks again!

1 Like

Ive set up smarthome this week and am having issues with the siren.

if i put in any delay then the light blinks for the delay but the siren will not sound

any ideas … been trying lots of alternate settings.

If you read through the last few posts, the instructions I provided that user might solve your problem, but let me know if it doesn’t.

Update: Make sure you have setting #1 set to either disabled or a number higher than what’s specified in #6 or the alarm will get cancelled before the siren turns on.

Thanks a lot for building this!!

I use SmartThings as a “controller” and do all of my automations, triggers, and scripting through Home Assistant. They “talk” by way of an MQTT broker. I am able to receive messages from SmartThings on my broker and act on them while using this Handler, but I don’t seem to be able to get this device to “react” when I send an MQTT message back to SmartThings. I see the message being successful received in the SmartThings logs, so I’m wondering if you have any thoughts or ideas on why the Handler wouldn’t respond/work as expected (alarm = strobe, switch = on) when it receives the message?

Thanks for any ideas!
-Chad

I’m unfamiliar with that setup, so I can’t say for sure, but it’s most likely the settings that are causing the problem.

Setting #2 determines which action is performed for alarm.both and switch.on. If you change that setting to strobe and send the device the “on” command, it should turn on the strobe.

Hi Kevin, great DTH. i’ve had it working for a couple of months but the last couple of weeks my alarm stopped functioning correctly. when an alarm is called, it does not switch on beyond “alarm pending” mode." I confirmed that #6 is set to 10 sec, and I have #1 set to 120 sec. beeps work, and turn on immedietely, but when the siren/strobe/both is called either by the app directly, or SHM it is stuck in alarm pending mode. When I change the DTH back to the generic z-wave alarm, the alarm turns on properly. Any idea whats going on?

also I notice that when I turn off in “right now” status screen, and I navigate away and then back again, it shows alarm is pending.

Switching back to the generic z-wave alarm is like comparing apples to oranges because you have #6 set to 10 seconds. If you change that to 0, it should turn on immediately just like the generic z-wave alarm.

Assuming that works as expected, set it back to 10 seconds and enable debug logging.

Then open live logging in the IDE, tap one of the siren/strobe/both buttons from the mobile app, and wait about 3 minutes to ensure the final off command is sent.

Click the name of the device in the live logging screen so that only that devices logging entries are shown and then post them.

So here’s what I got. Clicking the beep icon activates the beep. However, turning it off requires turning it off multiple times while exiting and entering the zwave app. turning on the siren, strobe, or both apps do not activate the alarm or strobe. I have debug on, and #6 set to 0. Perhaps something in my gocontrol settings is out of wack?