[RELEASE] GoControl/Linear Multifunction Contact Sensor

@krlaframboise
I’ve been using your handler from 6 months ago on my gocontrol door and motions, and it’s worked flawlessly.
I’m sorry I haven’t said thank you sooner.
I can’t tell you how cool the motion contact is. I’ve been wanting to do exactly what you did in the driveway with the same system. Now my wife is gonna complain about me spending more $ but hey…

Back 5-6 months ago, I had asked if you were able to modify the handler to act as a connected smoke alarm.
closed - clear
open - smoke

At the time you said it wasn’t on your list. Now that you have added water sensor support, would it be possible to do so for smoke. This way I can bring my one gocontrol sensor using a schlage handler back to yours.
Water, motion, smoke, and standard contact all in one DH. this would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

It’s possible, but you’re probably the only person that would use that feature and adding that capability will cause it to appear in everyone’s smoke detectors list.

I’m hoping others will post to say whether or not they feel that’s an issue.

1 Like

I didn’t know that having the capability in the handler that it would cause it to show no matter if feature is selected. Does that happen in water sensor list if it’s set to a door type?

Hopefully some more people want it!

Can you possibly give me some baby clues how I might take the original door sensor DH and the one written for schlage door sensors to operate as a smoke? I mean point to resources. I’d love to mod your older door only DH as a separate version for smokes (at least for me). And then share it back to you to have as a potentially totally separate DH just for smokes.
My only problem is I barely know how to code. Barely! :wink:

There was this guy named @ady624 and he took on a challenge to create a smartapp “CoRE” similar to rule machine but more user friendly. I though he was crazy. Well… We expect something similar from you. :wink:

1 Like

Aye! Only problem is, unlike other programmers, I AM crazy ;))) mwahahahaha

3 Likes

Oh my… If someone needs me to troubleshoot their smart home from an airplane I’d be happy to, otherwise, I’m a whee bit out of my element. :cold_sweat:

Technically it’s 1 line that causes it to appear in the smoke detector list so I’ll probably just add that functionality and comment out that line by default.

3 Likes

i just released a new version that supports the Smoke Detector capability.

I’ve also added “contact-garage” as an option to the Primary Status and Secondary Status settings which will use the garage icons instead of the normal contact icons.

3 Likes

Kevin, you’re awesome. Thank you!!
The smoke attribute shows up fine. I’ve not tested it as the wife and kids went to bed. I’d get in trouble for that. :slight_smile:

The Garage attribute still shows as a normal open/close icon. It’s on primary attribute: contact-garage
ideas?

It would have shown the correct icon the next time the contact was opened or closed, but I just released a new version that forces it to reload every time the settings are saved which should fix that problem.

1 Like

Does anyone have an idea if wiring up 2-3 external reed switches in series to the internal contact of a door/window sensor would work/function properly?

Say in a room I have 3 windows in a row, if I stuck a reed sensor on each window and wired them in series, sure you wouldn’t know which of the 3 windows was open, but you’d know windows in that room were open.
Specifically I’m thinking of a bay window in my breakfast nook. I don’t care to know which of the Windows is open, just “breakfast nook windows = open/closed”

I’d try it but I don’t have any external reeds at the moment and am going to order some more. I’m wondering if ordering some extra might be worthwhile.

The idea on paper

The circuit will be closed when all windows are closed and open when any of the dumb sensors open so it should work in theory.

The only potential problem I can think of is if the signal weakens each time it goes through a contact it might not be able to complete the circuit, but that probably also depends on how far apart they are.

If going through 3 external sensors is a problem, you could use it as a regular contact sensor for one of the windows and then only have to attach 2 external sensors to it.

I’m using an external sensor connected to about 15’ of speaker wire and it works fine.

I have some extra sensors hanging around so I can test this later today, but how far apart do you plan on having them?

So if this works I might do it for other rooms too, and the furthest I could think of would be 3 windows in the master. They are in a row, so worst case I’d use the external contact on the outer say left window and then 2 contacts maybe 24" away (center) and about 60" away (right).

Ether way I’m interested in all 3 contacts in series, but 2 on the internal in series and 1 external would work too. If all 3 were in series, I’d still place them the same way, just having 3rd reed at place of origin, (to test for current try with 3: left/center/right windows, but 2 would suffice: center/right windows).

Also Kevin, I remember reading some other threads over time where some DTHswould create a virtual device for you, (various purposes).

It made me think, could you add in that capability to this DTH? The idea would be to create a virtual device that matches attribute that user selected of internal contact, that syncs with the internal contact, so that the internal contact could be used without using CORE or the user having to create a virtual device to sync (which I have no idea how to do :yum:)

Example:

I know you can make a SmartApp generate virtual devices, but I don’t believe you can do that in a DTH, but I’ve never actually tried. If it was possible, I think a lot of multi-channel DTHs like power strips would have the functionality built into it.

One of the benefits to using this DTH over my regular GoControl contact sensor DTH is that you can use different capabilities to detect internal vs external events which eliminates the need for CoRE or virtual devices. For example, internal contact creates motion active event and external contact create contact open event.

I’m assuming you’re asking this for a different scenario and not the linking multiple sensors together like you previously asked about.

Yep different scenario. I just thought of it and asked that too.
I thought if you have the virtual device you could have it show in list of devices. For users of things like action tiles or ask Alexa (ask status of device), if the secondary contact is mirrored to a separate virtual device it might provide some additional usability.

As for triggering events, I thought CORE would be required. Now that you mentioned it is included in this handler i just tried it. Dude very nice work, this is really cool!

I don’t believe it’s possible from within a DTH, but let me know if you come across any other DTHs that do it.

1 Like

@krlaframboise

Kevin, I was wondering if you might be able to help with a project.
I just rigged up a DC relay plugged into a GE Zwave plug in appliance module. When you turn it on, it is set to turn off 1sec after. Emulating the function of a garage door opener wall button.

Anyway…
What I was hoping is to modify the multifunction handler to only work as “garage door” contact, but I would like to add a push-button or on/off tile within the handler where in the settings, the user can select the device to toggle.

I found this handler that another user created for the gocontrol (in his case, generic zwave sensor), and there’s a smartapp that works to sync the button push/contact sensor

Any chance you may be able to update the DTH to incorporate this code/similar code to have (your) Gocontrol specific handler work not just as a garage door sensor, but toggle the opener (relay/plug in module).
Or possibly enlighten me as to modifying the device screen to look like the new style page rather than this:

Please delete all the code you posted so people won’t confuse it with the code for this Topic’s device handler.

This isn’t possible because device handlers can’t interact directly with other devices.

If you’re looking for one device that allows you to control the door and view the the state of the door you have to use 2 device handlers and a SmartApp.

This DTH is overly complex because it supports so many capabilities so you’re better off adding the open/closed tile to your switch device handler and using a SmartApp like CoRE to sync the open/close status.

Done on Deleting code. Never thought of that issue. Apologies!