[OBSOLETE] GoControl Door/Window Sensor, Motion Sensor, and Siren DTH

I probably won’t have time to work on it until next weekend.

Do the monoprice motion sensors have a sensitivity setting? I’m looking for an inexpensive pet friendly motion sensor.

Update: The multi-sensor has multiple motion settings so I just purchased one of those too.

The GoControl Door/Window sensor reports the Internal and External events separately, but I just noticed that the Monoprice Door/Window sensor sends the same command for both events so that won’t be possible with.

Despite what the manual says and unlike the older non-plus models, the external contacts DO NOT work. See the first review reprinted below. I have a couple myself and I can confirm that they are non responsive.

Doesn’t work with external switches
This sensor, like the non-plus version it replaced (PID 10795) and the non-plus garage door sensor (PID 11987), has terminals inside to connect an external switch and instructions on how to use it in this fashion. A common use case would be to add z-wave functionality to existing wired reed switches many houses have from legacy security systems.

Unlike those other Monoprice z-wave sensors, the terminals on these don’t actually work. I ordered 4 and none read “closed” when the terminals were shorted. Monoprice replaced them with four new ones, none of which worked either.

Product support then confirmed that this was a design issue and should be updating the documentation accordingly. They said a redesign would be unlikely.

So be warned if you want to use the terminals inside these new z-wave plus sensors as they aren’t functional.

Otherwise, the sensor worked with the included magnet as expected. Can’t speak for the “plus” features as I didn’t hold on to them long enough to evaluate battery life and I have no range issues with my existing sensors.

I saw that, but he said “terminals shorted” and “design issue” so it sounded like he tested it while the cover was open.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that if you poke a hole through the cover and attach the wires through the hole, it will work as expected when the cover is closed.

I also remember reading another post a while back about some other contact sensor with external contacts that required the internal contact to be closed in order for the external contact to report properly.

@krlaframboise @Jimxenus – are you enabling the external terminals through the required parameter change though? Default is disabled, at least for the magnet switch anyway, according the very small font text in the manual (top of p7 - 2016 edition, Monoprice P/N 15270). I’ve no idea how to set this parameter without writing code, to test this though. Do you, please?

I haven’t received mine yet, but I plan on writing a DTH as soon as they arrive and I’ll add that feature to it.

I think the code segment below should change that configuration value, but I could be wrong.

To execute that code, switch your device to any custom device handler and replace the device handlers “updated” method with the code below.

Then go into the device settings in the mobile app and tap Done.

Then switch the device back to whatever device handler it was previously using.

def updated() {
	return response(zwave.securityV1.securityMessageEncapsulation().encapsulate(zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(scaledConfigurationValue: 0xFF, parameterNumber: 1)).format())
}
1 Like

Haven’t performed this step yet, but wanted to add… From the previous posts above when you had me add a line into the GoControl DHL to enable debugging. Once I put it back to the ST DHL, I have noticed the Monoprice sensor now has a couple editable items in the preferences, which were not there before:

From the IDE:

The sensor is working fine right now, just have 2 new settings in it. These are not present on my other Monoprice sensor (which I did not do anything with)

If you open the device settings through the mobile app, you should see 2 fields at the bottom that have values, but no labels.

If you delete the contents of those fields, they won’t appear there again, but I’m not sure if it will delete them from that devic’s preferences section in the IDE.

If it doesn’t, it really doesn’t matter because your current DTH will just ignore them.

yep, that corrected it… thanks!

other news, I received my latest order from Monoprice, so now have 5 of these deployed.
I though I had another bad sensor, but as it turns out the garage/house door is about 3 feet out of range or in a gray area, making the sensor sometimes work and sometimes doesn’t. Because of this issue, it made the sensor work harder and drained the battery 10% in a week’s time.

…so I end up with a lot of false alarms. Will have to see about an alternative sensor that has more power/larger range. Otherwise they are pretty solid

I haven’t received mine yet, but I’m wrapping up a new SmartApp I’ve been working on and then I’ll start working on the GoControl like DTH for the monoprice sensor.

absoLUTELY!.. if it isn’t ready for prime-time, PM me with details

So my Monoprice Door/Window Sensors arrived today and @dswtan was correct. The external sensor is disabled by default, but changing that configuration setting enables it.

It’s also somewhat confusing because when that setting is enabled the device won’t show closed unless both the internal and external sensors are closed.

I need to do some final testing on the DTH before I create a topic for it, but if anyone is interested in trying it out, the code is located here.

1 Like

Just setup a motion sensor and two door sensors on your DTH’s, thanks! Also using your device viewer, so one big happy family.

One (maybe) issue - both door sensors are reporting battery, but the battery level on the motion sensor is blank.

Is that just because the motion sensor is set to 24 hours to report battery, and won’t report it until then, or ?

The door sensors are both set to the default 4 hour battery report interval, but they are both showing battery levels.

Thanks.

If you open the device in the mobile app, tap the refresh button, and then open the cover of the device for about 10 seconds, the battery and temp should refresh immediately.

Great, thanks for the quick reply, @krlaframboise, I’ll do that.

The other thing I’m confused about is how long the sensor should continue to report “Motion” after motion has stopped. It appears to take several minutes for it to reset itself.

I’d like to use this to turn a light on/off in a utility room…turn on at motion, off after motion ends. if I set the “Re-trigger wait time” to 1 minute, will that mean it will revert to reporting “no motion” a minute after motion stops? I’d like to minimize the time that the light stays on after motion ends.

Last question - do you accept donations?

I belive it defaults to 4 minutes, but the Re-Trigger Wait Time setting allows you to decrease it to 1 minute. If you changed that setting, but you were still seeing it take longer than a minute, opening the case should have applied that change.

The Re-Trigger wait time determines how long it needs to have no activity before switching back to inactive.

If you have it set to 1 minute and at 58 seconds it detects motion, it starts the 1 minute timer over again.

I never expect or ask for them, but they’re very much appreciated. The money usually goes towards new devices so that I can create DTHs for them. PayPal.Me

Great, thanks very much, appears to be working as you indicated, I’ll play around w/settings and see what works best for the timing.

Some beer money coming to you, thanks very much.

1 Like

The GoControl Motion sensors are a bit slow to respond to motion so you’re probably going to to be several steps into the room before the light turns on.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I noticed it wasn’t exactly speedy. :slight_smile:

The most important use is when coming home, entering via the garage door into the utility room. Since the light switch is across the room by the door to the kitchen, even if it’s slow it will be an improvement on the current state.

1 Like

Thanks, I just installed the code for the Motion Sensor on one here at home. I guess it worked because it shows a reset and also a no tamper tile. It also still registered motion. I will wait until it updates because this one uses the sticky tape.