[RELEASE] Generic Video Camera DeviceType, Yes, Live Video Streaming

I’m looking for something like that too. I got an Echo Show and an IP camera. I tried a IP skill from the Alexa app, but it keeps giving me errors (rtsp isn’t responding).

The camera works fine in ST though… Thx Patrick!

I found this skill for Alexa: https://www.amazon.com/Monocle-RTSP-RTP-IP-Cameras/dp/B079P7DZ4D

This is there main site as well: https://monoclecam.com/

I did get it to work using an RTSP proxy service that you need to keep running on a Windows PC, MAC, or Raspberry Pi on the same network. From what I understand, Amazon only recognizes a specific RTSP stream format (I wasn’t even aware there was more than one). Basically, you use this command line utility to accept the stream from your camera and just re-stream it from the PC running the utility. It just does some formatting of sorts. It works though. The Monocle people are working on a way to do away with the need for the proxy, so this is just a temporary fix just to see it working. This is the article on Monocle’s website explaining it: https://monoclecam.com/proxy-server

@sonnaps,

Thanks for mentioning the Monocle Alexa Skill here.

For clarification the RTSP proxy server workaround is only required for some cameras, not all cameras. For example every Amcrest camera I have used thus far works directly with the Monocle skill and Alexa devices including the Echo Spot, Echo Show, FireTV Stick, FireTV 4K and Fire Tablets. Foscam and ReoLink cameras (among others) definitely require the proxy server workaround at this time.

We do have an open support ticket with Amazon to review and correct some of these compatibility issues, but we have no control over their timeline or when such a fix may get rolled out. With that said, we are working on a more integrated proxy server version that will require less effort on getting it initially setup and running and it will work seamlessly with the Monocle web portal so you can manage all your camera settings in a single location.

Also, please note that there are some limitations on the video resolutions for some Amazon devices and the 3rd generation FireTV 4K is not currently working with Monocle – but we are working on a solution for that and it should be available soon. You can find additional details and the latest information here: https://monoclecam.com/supported/alexa

Thank You,
Robert

Im trying to get it to take photos/images when triger by a sesnsor using the “smart home monitor” custom action/smartapp thing. can you give me a stear into starting this? ive been trying with below with no sucesss

Hi,

I see that there were no updates to this device handler and smartapp for over 2 years.
However, I stumbled upon an issue today. I have 2 cameras added more than a year ago, but now I was trying to add a new one.
It appears okay in the smartapp, but it doesn’t show as a thing at all. Any hints to what I am doing wrong?

1 Like

So many thanks!! I’m trying to use such code but following error appeared: “e507dbb9-018d-0bdf-365d-665ee2f5fddd 20:18:26: debug Executing ‘configure’”. Could you advice if I’m making any mistake? The camera I’m trying to integrate is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BZFP9M6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks in advance for your reply

would be nice to now if this is either still supported, or if there’s a new version… beat on it for about 90 minutes today, couldn’t get it to talk to local LAN IP cameras to save my life… :frowning:

My 2 cameras that were working for about a year stopped working within ST :frowning:

Dev hasn’t been supporting this for quite some time, AFAIK.

is this still working for someone?
Any replacements?
Thanks

I’ve just got this code working as is from GitHub using this cheap camera from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CXD4RLG

1 Like

Does this code work at all? I’ve spent the last 3 days trying to get it to work and have had no luck. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong or not. Would greatly appreciate any help.

Android
Amcrest UltraHD 2K (IP3M-941S)

rtsp://admin:xxx@192.168.1.61/live

I have both smartapps published and tried connecting on both apps.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Would love to have this finished as a Christmas gift.

Can someone tell me the url for IP Webcam Android app? Streams fine to VLC and browser.

Have you figured it out since then? I’m also trying to get the stream from a digoo onvif camera. I don’t understand why this one wouldn’t work… Let me know, also, if you found a suitable camera of about the same size. Thanks.

I built motionEye cctv system to my old raspberry pi2 with a raspberry camera and old IP camera (WANVIEW?) . Finally I’m able to see the streaming video in smartthings apps with
Generic Video camera apps. It works great. I used piVPN so that only with my private VPN connection, it will be streaming. I plan to make a couple of raspberry zero cameras for complete security cctv system.

It really looks great and i hope i will have my opportunity to try it as well. I used to have one and was always uploading videos from it and people used to download it with www.tubeninja.net - even some neighbors whose backyard is also recorded at my cam. Quite useful, you know.

I like to add Reolink C1 PRO. Is it possible to trigger recording when security is breached by motion sensor, contact sensor or alarm system SMH ?
If it so, with this could I record on synology NAS what happens. Thank you.

Sorry, it’s a Foscam G2.
Are there any other free device handlers or smart apps?

Is there a way to make your camera able to play from outside your nextwork?
i would have thought as the request to the camera comes from and is return to the hub, the hub would return the feed to the cloud and your phone.

Is there a way to get the feed exteranly, i have a tinycam app on my phone which can do this.

Hi All,

Looking for some help.

My cameras are not IP cameras. They are hardwired via a coax to my NVR.

I can then access my cameras from outside using an app or a web applet.
Any ideas how i can get this to a stream that this device handler can see please?

Thanks