[RELEASE] Generic Video Camera DeviceType, Yes, Live Video Streaming

This will be view only. No recording. . Since image capture is so broken, not going to combine the two.

Why do you say it’s broken?

Image size limits, corrupt images, no ability to manage image storage, insecure storage of images when it works, no ability to delete images, the whole DNI issue, just to name a few.

I’ve always just wanted to be able to pull up a camera and watch the video feed. Do it quickly and painlessly. This will serve that purpose. I don’t need complex features, just live streaming.

5 Likes

Makes sense

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, do you think this will be faster than pulling up the native Hikvision app for you? Or do you envision doing this from wall mounted tablets and that is the beneft?

This use case is already well-handled by SmartTiles if your camera can produce an MJPEG stream. If it can’t, VLC can convert it for you.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately my cameras only support RTSP. I have no desire to run computers to host software, so this option sounds promising, although I am not sure I even have a use case for having my streaming cameras in ST :slight_smile:

I try to keep apps off my phone. So I use St mobile so it makes sense to use it. Yes it’s faster against almost every app. Just have to figure out one bug right now to activate the stream.

I have 3 Hikvision cameras and cant wait to test them on ST. Would be great. Thanks

Wow, you would hate my phone, I just counted 19 apps that are considered IOT/Home Automation!

Have you tested nest? Wpoulkd this integration make drop cam or nest (same thing) stream?

in theory, nest / dropcam could work, but there are a lot of hoops one has to go through to get an access token and the stream url. But if you want to go through those hoops, this should work.

Very excited about this, I’ll test it with my foscams if you are interested.

I’ve got an LAView DVR that’s a rebranded Hikvision, would be awesome to see this work. I port forward to the DVR (on an isolated network) to use the LAView app remotely, but having it on the ST app on my tablets at home would be FAR nicer.

how do i go about doing this?

Count me on as another tester if you need one. I’ve got 6 Hikvision cameras with RTSP and MJPEG streams.

1 Like

Google it. I can’t tell you because I agreed to the Google and nest developer agreements. It’s very complicated.

1 Like

The first rule of beta testing is: You don’t talk about beta testing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Release will be this Friday on Live Code Fridays, github repo to follow. We will write the whole solution live.

15 Likes

Code is up https://github.com/pstuart/Generic-Video-Camera

Complete smartapps and devicetype to do mutliple camera installs from same code base.

4 Likes