RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

Was able to use this to add my Hitachi wifi AllPlay powered speakers however the existing apps are very choosy as to what can be done with them. Using the Speaker Companion, Play control seems to work, but I cannot play a notification (speaker selection claim “You can’t currently add this”), or do weather announcements. Thoughts?

Is UPnp Monkey now called MediaMonkey? I could’t find upnp monkey in the Play Store.

Did anybody try the Harman Kardon Invoke? They run $60 on amazon now and the sound is amazing.

Hi Smorty71! I have an Onkyo 636 but i don’t understand how do find my device in my lan :frowning:
I try with different smartapp, but I’m not able to solve this situation.
Could you help me?

I would like to submit my problem in the hope that someone will be able to clarify my big problem in using my Onkyo TX-NR636 with SmartThings

I did exactly what was requested but it doesn’t work.
I bring you all the information of what I did, maybe I did something wrong:

I created the Device Handler by simply copying the code from here:

I pasted it on code, I do “create” , “save” and “Publish for me”

I created the device from my control panel:
https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com/device/list

Name Onkyo TX-NR636
Label Onkyo TX-NR636
Type onkyoIP (Device Handlers)
Version Published
Device Network Id C0A80107:EAE0
Status ACTIVE
Data No data found for device
Execution Location Cloud

The device is added, I see it among my devices from the app, but whatever I press does not work, nothing happens.
Being in Italy I use SmartThings on European servers, among the messages I only see American users. Could it be that this device handler only works for America?

Granzy helped me a lot and we did a lot of tests, but we had to give up because we don’t know what to try anymore.

Hey Guys, I had to rebuild my entire setup due to recent ST upgrade.
I’m setting up DLNA again. I have it working however I cannot get Text for speech part working. What I would like to do is announce when front door is open.
Under [Media Renderer Events] App, I’m using the google option. Let me know what setting works for you. TIA

Hi

Just remove the www in code

Bad → uri: "x-rincon-mp3radio://www.translate.google.com/transla…

OK → uri: "x-rincon-mp3radio://translate.google.com/transla…

Hi Guys.
I suppose we’re going to lose Media Renderer at the end of September as well?
Has anyone come across an alternative solution which will make use of Edge drivers?
Thank you.

2 Likes