RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

Nice price. I ordered my R1s used for $50 each on eBay. Excited to have good (timely) voice notifications after the Fabriq speaker I ordered would take 10-14 seconds to play them.

What is the cheapest solution for a player/speaker?
R1 IS almost the same price as a Dot.

Can a Chromecast audio play a channel from TuneIn?

Could you help me with the genre stations? Iā€™m not exactly sure how to set them up? I donā€™t feel like its playing what I choose.

How can I test the URI link ? sorry not so sure how this works.

Anyway, I installed Foobar2000 on my computer, testing a ā€œHelloā€ and that worked out fine right now.

I also played some tracks locally on my computer, and then on the ST app created a ā€œplay track #3ā€ if button is pushed.
But then on my computer I got this error msg Unable to open item for playback (Could not connect to host):
ā€œhttp://127.0.0.1/failā€

Why is that ?

Is it possible to get the MediaRender to play a URL from TuneIn and not a track.
Think I have asked before but got no replyā€¦

Hi @Squidward, Could you explain ? In settings of the media renderer device, you can choose any genre station, or write multiple genres, then in the control buttons of the device you can select ā€œNormal, Play Station or Play Genreā€ , in normal mode, you controls are normal, play, prev, next, in ā€œPlay Stationā€ the buttons are next station , prev station and play station of the current genre, in "Play Genre " the buttons are Next Genre prev Genre and Play station , with this you cans go to next genre if you have multiple genres, and the button multiple genres selected in setting

Hi.

You can get it in the logs, and just paste the link in a web page.

I think you must to read about DLNA. The control point send the uri link where the audio file its located, some control points create a temporal file to be played, when the control point is close, the link does not work, I think your computer is creating a temporal link, and when ST try to play it after your Control Point is closed , its not present the audio file.

You must to have a permanent uri, this is achieved with a DLNA server where your music its storage, you can use software like Plex, Ps3 server, ā€¦

My first use for MediaRenderer its to play smooth jazz music in all rooms, to ambient the house, and each speaker its muted when a tv its turned on, I have a button control in each room to control each speaker

But you can use your own music, some MR have great features but this develop its a generic use of MR, basic functionality to all MR

Just want to say this device I purchased from China works as media renderer and dlna device great. I havent thoroughly tested it yet but the software and the device are well designed, itā€™s very small, cheap way to add media renderer capability to your home automation. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1NV3X76536 Also, unlike the Samsung R1 speaker, this device shows up great and works with all the other apps I tried on Android. The R1 speaker does pair obviously if you use the official smart app but it is not recognized by other software as a DLNA/Media Renderer device. I am not an expert on this tech yet but I can tell you that it was easily discovered by the generic media renderer smart app and allowed me to add as a named speaker in my network and was able to get it to easily send notifications to it through one of the official apps.

1 Like

Are you using Media Renderer Events? I am having a hard time getting that setup to play messages (i.e. when a contact opens). When I test it, the music will mute but no message is played. At least there is no delay before it mutes, so I feel like things are going in the right directionā€¦

Hi, yes, IĀ“m using Media Renderer Events,

You must to check if yours urls can be reach by the speaker, just check the speaker logs and verify the uri in a web page

Your browser must to play the audio.

I use Voice Rss TTS as back up when Smartthings TTS fail.

first step, verify the uri.

Having some issues. I have the SmartApp and Device installed. I installed UPnPlay on my Fire Tablet. Now, i tried several different smartapps to get notifications, but only a few seem to do anything. I tried Speaker Notify with Sound, and the only sound that would work is Bells. Everything else says ā€œunsupportedā€ in UPnPlay or it just doesnt play. Any thoughts?

Hi, the users who are testd that app are
Android UPnPlay Appā€¦@chuckc81, @scyber

I suggest you to use
Private Dancerā€¦@ uleā€¦ Works fine for old android v2.1 and up, better just for messages
UPnP Monkeyā€¦@ ule ā€¦ Works great android v 4.0 and up, for messages and music

You can verify all comments about speakers in

https://community.smartthings.com/t/working-speakers-44-devices-confirmed-29-waiting-confirmation-last-addition-klipsch-stadium-help-us-to-increase-the-list?source_topic_id=11176
2 Likes

I use Airplay\DLNA Receiver app on my mobile (to play messages and Music from ST)

it works very well, I can start a channel from ST.
But the only problem is that screen must always stay ON!

If the screen is locked\Dark, the music will not start to play.
Tested on Galaxy s5

Hi,

Some apps has settings to avoid disconnect when screen goes off, verify if your app has that settings, or use something like Private Dancer app

Thanks ule working very great

how do i turn off repeat mode!? nothing i do works, i have the D-Link wifi extender/ audio and it starts to repeat half of every phrase i set it to trigger.

Hi, you need to use the control point app of your speakers, or some generic control point, try AudioRemote from sony , or Technics app.

I have tried both apps and there is not a way for
Me to edit the device within the app, can you please walk me through the process?

Sorry, but, The MediaRenderer Device is not show in the control point app? every control point have a repeat mode button to enable or disable, install the control point suggested by your speakers.

I just got another Fabriq and the old one is gone as it was broken. The Media Renderer canā€™t seem to find this one. anyone have any ideas as how to get it to find the unit?

Is it possible to find the speaker in your network ? try to use ā€œBrowse UPnPā€ or some discovery app, if you can find the mediarenderer in your network and ST cant find it, then I suggest you change the ip of your speaker, some times ST cant get the responses from some ip.