RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

Not sure if you followed the steps here

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205833690-Samsung-Multiroom-Speakers

R1 speaker does show up on Smartthings after, here’s mine screenshot

It doesn’t show up as a DLNA device after doing discovery process under MediaRenderer so if that’s what you mean then add to the list of looking for the answer to set it up too. Ive tried wifi and Bluetooth as source but still it is not discovered.

@ule, was hoping to get a little more assistance with the above? I did find delay control, but have no idea which one to change.

Hi.

I think the SAmsung R1 is not a DLNA speaker, the description says the speaker can play music from DLNA source using the app.

No indicates the Speaker support DLNA, just the app. but many speaker do not show if supports DLNA

So you can try the Bowse UPnp app for ios to verify if the speaker its a MediaRenderer.

Hi, Change all of them, just one by one until your speaker do not work, you must to find the best value for your speaker, I have setup the values for most of the MR, but you can change that values if your speaker its faster.

1 Like

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

1 Like

im having problems getting my Jongo T2 connected… it cant seem to have it detected. i have been trying since late last night up until now. i have tried changing refresh interval to 2 mins which obviously did nothing but drain my phone battery.

i have followed the instructions listed;

Installing The MediaRenderer Connect

Installing The Device Type

appreciate the help in advance

Do you see it as a media device on anything else?

I could see my speaker using the android app Fing, it also showed up on my pc network device list as a media player or something like that.

I had to do a complete uninstall of the app and DTH and reinstall then my Pure S3 speaker shower up. Not sure what I did different the last time just worked.

im able to connect pair it to my amazon dot(bluetooth)

im seeing it on my network

DTH?

DTH = Device Type.

Sorry I can’t be much more help, I am also struggling trying to get my second S3 setup.

I would verify your install, verify UPNP is on, it was inside my router settings. Hopefully others will jump on later and be of help more?

Just a quick check make sure you used the MediaRenderer_Connect.groovy not the MediaRenderer_Connect_Beta.groovy

I doubt it, but worth a check that you didn’t accidentally miss click.

no worries. i sincerely appreciate whatever help i can get… i may have to re-consider other option within the next 30 days.

decided to take a breather and went for a bathroom break bringing my phone with me so i can check settings while i do my “thinking.”

and lo and behold i see my T2 discovered!

looks like bringing my phone closer to the router(located inside the bedroom) solved my connectivity issue(?)

but what is weird is that my T2 and Smarthings Hub are connected to a wifi range extender outside of the bedroom… so i am not really sure what happened …

1 Like

I bought a Fabriq speaker as my MR. I am getting an up to 14 second delay between opening an Iris contact sensor and the “message” being played. The sensor updates status in ST in about 1.5 seconds.
Should I try a different MR playback device or is there some setting I can try?

Hi.

What app are you using to send the message?

Its possible the tts is taking a lot of time

try to use a sound or some static file to verify the real response time of your MR

if you could use MediaRenderer events , you can use the button in the app list to send a event and try the audio in your MR

1 Like

I am using MediaRenderer Events. Pressing the play button in the app list for an event results in a variable 4-10 second delay even when sending sounds only. Sometimes a sound or message will just never play. I have tried all the different TTS services and they all have the delay. For comparison, when I change a switch it takes about a 1/4 second to respond.
If I buy an expensive device like a Sonos will the messages play more quickly?

Hi, I dont think so, Sonos player device have some delays too to avoid crash.

DLNA spekers (media Renderers) must to load and then play the audio file, some MR are old and slow.

You going to have a delay with al MR, if your MR is fast the dealy its little, but you can try changing the delay in the code of the device . just like @jasonrwise77 did,

If you have a software MR like and android with a app, the delay is very little.

I am very happy to report that my Fabriq Speaker works with my Apple Airport Extreme Base Station without having UpNP.

1 Like

QUESTION- I have version 2.0.3 Beta Chromcast Bubble Server installed and working with my Fabriq Speaker. Is there a way to get ChromeCast Audio to work, or am I reading the title wrong? Thanks.

Hi , the beta was just a test to verify the bubble server with chromecast in multiple devices, is not for normal dlna

I suggest you to use the normal Mrediarenderer connect.