RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

Hi

I need your help to understand how dlna works.
I have set up my xmas scene with Siri switching on everything. The only missing piece is the xmas song. I have of course a raspberry, a dlna receiver connected to my Tivoli audio and an android tablet mounted on a wall with bubble upnp. From the tablet I can stream music, sometimes I need to restart the player (my receiver is probably bad quality) but it usually works.
Now I added the dlna receiver app but even if I see my song in the dlna list, it is very unstable and today it does not play the song
Could you pls suggest me the more stable solution for what I am looking to build?
Thanks

Hi, I suggest you to use Media Renderer Events, It has Radionomy stations, and some christmas stations.

If you want to use your local music , remember you must to hava a DLNA server. please read the first post to known about control point and local storage.

Hi Ule

Iā€™ve tried it and it worked once with a song played from the Android tablet then it stopped. I was able to use Media Renderer Events with the radio, I was trying to have my song.
Will try to install the dlna media server on the raspberry

thanks
F

where is your song? remember the song must to be available every moment, some people send music from phone to speakers, but that song just remain while the phone its send it, if you have the song in a server, ST can access it , any time

hi Ule

My song is in the tablet but I will work on move it to the raspberry
thanks
f

Is there a definitive guide on how to get this working with Google Home for announcements?

• I installed BubbleUPnP server on my NAS
  • I selected ā€œCreate DLNA rendererā€ in the Google Home device
  • Using BubbleUPnP on an Android phone I can see both the Google Home device and another one with (DLNA) in the name

Then on to the SmartThings side of thingsā€¦

• I installed the MediaRenderer Service Manager app (Iā€™ve tried both the old one and the beta)
  • I installed the MediaRenderer Player

I go into the Android app and go into discovery and it seems to just be stuck in a loop. I see a lot of debug events in the log for MediaRenderer device found[devicetype:04, mac:501AC571E057, ip:0A0000C2, port:0B35, blah blahā€¦ and MediaRenderer device found[devicetype:04, mac:5CAAFD24718E, ip:0A000096, port:0578

The Sonos device for example just appears to be getting pinged over and over every 5 or 6 seconds, but the discovery part of the setup never finishes.

...  6:54:26 PM: trace has XML body
...  6:54:26 PM: trace HTTP/1.1 200 OK 11735 bytes, body = 8580 bytes, sid =
...  6:54:20 PM: trace has XML body
...  6:54:20 PM: trace HTTP/1.1 200 OK 11735 bytes, body = 8580 bytes, sid =
...  6:54:15 PM: trace has XML body
...  6:54:15 PM: trace HTTP/1.1 200 OK 11735 bytes, body = 8580 bytes, sid =

Any ideas?

Hi, sorry , the beta its just to confirm that is possible to talk with several cast, it overrides the network id, The weekend Iā€™m going to drive the messages to each cast, but I have been very busy. just wait some days to work on it.

1 Like

Ok thanks.

So the idea is that if I can run the beta and it ā€œseesā€ the multiple devices, then it should work once you release the new code?

If thatā€™s the case Iā€™m happy and I guess I can wait. :slight_smile:

Hi, yes, this was a test for @hobby78 , he told me about bubble server, I think the weekend I can continue with the patch.

1 Like

Thanks! Eagerly awaiting Multiple ChromecastCast App Update for Connectā€¦I have 9 Chromecast Audio and 4 Google Homes that I have setup with BubbleUPnP Server running on ShieldTV (Android) .Please let me know if I can help in any way to test etcā€¦

1 Like

Thanks, A donation would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi there, I installed this smartapp and the device handler to control a squeezebox SB3/Classic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeezebox_(network_music_player)). The discovery process worked perfectly and found my Logitech Media Server (DLNA). The media renderer was correctly added, however the only thing I can successfully control from SmartThings is volume (on/off, slider). The rest of the functionalities are not working. Did someone have the same problem and fixed it? Many thanks.

Hi,I have updated the Media Renderer player and created a new topic

Anyone got this working with Squeezelite or Squeezeplayer? Only the volume and mute buttons work on my installation.

based on my previous try it does not work. you can review the details in RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

That stinks, but thanks for the info.

Hi ule!

I tried to use it with Pure Flow One and it finds it!
The issue is that it doesnā€™t work :frowning: Itā€™s saying that itā€™s playing but it doesnā€™t. Even if I turn on manually and I try to stop it nothing happen.

Another weird thing happen: via app it keeps saying ā€œplayingā€ even if I stop it after few seconds it changes the status back to ā€œplayingā€ but nothing can be ear.

Any idea for troubleshooting?

Cheers,
Luca

Hi @lucalor, I think the speaker its not connecting, maybe the ip or port have changed, just try to run again the find function to check if the ip its updated, but Its necessary to watch the logs to verify if the speaker does somethings strange with the id.

I havenā€™t tried using this again. Was there an update to allow this to work with Google Home?

HI @viguera, the normal Generic Media Renderer works fine with 1 google home or chromecast, the problem its when there are mor than one, I upload to github a test to verify with multiple chromecast devices, but its just a test I need to make some mods to get multiple chromecast working ,