RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

I think the normal price is $199. $189 at Amazon.

Yeah I checked online at the store. I couldnā€™t pass it up for 2. Half off and they were new. The price was for the starter set

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to get a new device to work - Sony SRS-HG1. It appears correctly in Media Renderer and has been assigned to the Security app in Smart Monitor with an Audio Alert. The log seems to indicate that Media Renderer executed the alert, but no audio was played by the speaker. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Date Source Type Name Value User Displayed Text Changed
2016-09-07 2:49:58.885 PM EDT
moments ago COMMAND playTrackAndRestore playTrackAndRestore(https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-media/tts/b6183b17b504e9421c66b189019e4d2e08c18d1f.mp3, 3, 50) command wā€¦ true
2016-09-07 2:49:57.410 PM EDT
moments ago APP_COMMAND playTrackAndRestore true
2016-09-07 2:49:26.716 PM EDT
moments ago COMMAND stop stop command was sent to Bedroom Sony Go true
2016-09-07 2:49:26.664 PM EDT
moments ago APP_COMMAND stop true

HI @darkenney, Is the speaker status playing or stopped, If ST need to find the speaker every some time, verify if is not loosing the ip.

It could be related to the regular and on-going text to speech outageā€¦

Good thought, thank you. I tried switching to the other built-in alerts - (Dogs Barking, which is out at http://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-media/sonos/dogs.mp3) - still no luck. Not sure how Iā€™d test, but Iā€™m wondering if the Speaker canā€™t get to a file that doesnā€™t reside in a DLNA server or one thatā€™s not in the local network.

Hi @Ule, thank you for the follow up. Yes, IP looks good and the speaker is playing - I set up the speakerā€™s MAC address with a static ip at the router. Also installed a DLNA server on my iMac and use the Sony provided app on the iPhone / iPad. All that works. Also, your MediaRenderer Player v2.1.1 inside of the SmartThings app works to play the DLNA server songs to the speaker. Iā€™m now trying different things in the Player IDE Simulator to see if I can at least ā€˜playTrackā€™ a song of my choosing - local or on the local DLNA server. Nothing yet.

Hello, Wondering if someone can lend me a hand. I imported and published the connect app and then the device profile, the i imported and published the events app.

The connect app finds the DLNA render (GGMM M-Freebox).
Iā€™m able to manipulate the play, pause, volume, mute settings, it also shows the currently playing track.
However, I cant get TTS or even playing a sound to work when using the events app.
If I create an event to stop playing it works, the currently playing audio does stop. Playing sound/tts however seems to never work for me.

I am able to have an event play a track, however it wont play the track that I selected, it only plays the track that it last played. A couple of things I did notice:
1.) If i pause a track it will not continue playing it starts at the beginning again.
2.) For music to start playing after a trigger it takes about 10 seconds. (is that normal?)

Is there something Iā€™m missing here?

@ule, @whoismoses, I canā€™t get it to play anything other than a file thatā€™s in the DLNA server. When using a local file or the smarthings alerts out at http://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-media/ā€¦, it does execute the command and produce silence for the correct duration. If I playTrackAndRestore with a file on the DLNA server, it works. I appreciate your efforts to support through this.

What does the log say when you try to play?

@whoismoses how does one get the logs?

http://developer.smartthings.com

Click live logging at the top.

it attempts this:
playTrackAndResume(x-rincon-mp3radio://www.translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=en&client=t&q=Rear%20Door%20open&sf=//s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-, 7, 100) command was sent to GGMM MUSIC Speaker

Date Source Type Name Value User Displayed Text
2016-09-12 8:42:18.102 PM PDT
moments ago COMMAND playTrackAndResume playTrackAndResume(x-rincon-mp3radio://www.translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=en&client=t&q=Rear%20Door%20open&sf=//s3.amazā€¦
2016-09-12 8:42:17.995 PM PDT
moments ago APP_COMMAND playTrackAndResume
2016-09-12 8:42:00.499 PM PDT
moments ago COMMAND poll poll command was sent to GGMM MUSIC Speaker
2016-09-12 8:42:00.302 PM PDT
moments ago APP_COMMAND poll

chicken4rice, Not sure if youā€™ve made any progress, but interestingly, this was the exact same behavior I got with my speaker - Sony SRS-HG1. No matter what I tried I couldnā€™t get it to work properly. I ultimately gave up on it feeling that it was incompletely implemented firmware on the speaker side. Sony upgrades its software and firmware pretty regularly. Maybe that will improve things down the road.

Hi, I would like to send speak notification around my house. For that I have Android tablets. I have tried a couple of UPNP apps on the tablets but they all suffer from delay.
E.g when a door opens, in CoRE I am using Speak to a Android tablet, but it takes 4-5 seconds before the Android tablet will sound.

Is there anyway I could speed that process up?

Best regards

Hi @ule,

I embarked on setting this up with some Jongo S3 speakers and found that, while learning the process from a beginnerā€™s view is difficult, I was able to get everything working.

I first set everything up with my smart tv as the renderer - itā€™s an LG 55LM7600-UA and you may add this to the list of working devices as I was able to get sounds, tts and music playing on this device. The main drawback about this device is that it completely stops video playback to display a smartthings message. The device also has a terrible audio delay when switching inputs (from the current video to the DLNA message) that cuts off the beginning of the message. It was necessary for me to add quite a bit of text to the message at the beginning for it to play correctly. I would not recommend this device for notifications, but it does work.

I picked up a few Jongo S3 models and they are fantastic. Easy to set up, very nominal lag and sound really good. Not quite as good as my Echo, but they are also more competitively priced. Iā€™ve got various announcements set up now and will be adding some as needed over the next couple weeks.

One tip I got from reading all 600+ posts on this thread and other threads is that while the initial instructions are good, I would definitely add instructions for the media renderer events. I installed using sonos notify with sound and it never worked for me. I also did not have any luck with Big Talker, although Iā€™ve heard that is a good program as well.

I also recommend the integration with ivana as that has been working very well. Iā€™m also using MyAudioStream Pro as a control point and I found it better than Technics and a way better option than Denon.

I ended up creating a notification as an alarm in the media renderer events because I couldnā€™t get the tts+track working in the Talking Alarm Clock app. I really like the option of the announcement before music, but it just wouldnā€™t play the tts for some reason.

Thank you for your work on this - I know itā€™s not your primary job and the support you have provided people in the ST community is amazing!

3 Likes

So no one could just confirm (or not) if the 4-5 seconds delay from trigger to sound to a DLNA speaker is ok? Could it be done much faster or?

Thanks Jason C, Your donation is much appreciated

HI, It seems to be a problem with internet, I think the device has not internet access, or the device does not accept http uris , try to use a control point to send the http://s3.ama ā€¦ just to verify if the device can access that kind of file.

You can try the app MediaRenderer events, who has some other TTS engine just to test.

HI @chicken4rice, That link in google is not working , in app description I have commented the google translate is not stable, google can remove it, and now is not working, you need to use SmartThings, Ivona or Voice RSS.