RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

Hi @mdawson, First try to play a sound like dogs to confirm the audio get out, what speaker do you have?

I’ve got a JBL SoundFly Speaker.

I was able to create it as a device in ST, but have never gotten it to play any sound. But then, I’m at a loss for how to set a source besides TTS.

When I use a DLNA browser, it finds my Plex install as a source, but again I have no idea how to use it to send media to the speaker.

Hi @mdawson, Are you sure the JBL SoundFly Speaker its a Media Renderer Speaker, Have you find the speaker with Media Renderer Connect?

My speaker does appear in MediaRenderer connect.

Interestingly, my Mac Mini that hosts Plex Home Theater & Plex Media Server was also discovered just now.

The kitchen speaker says “No Present” in ST.

Is this a typo? Should it say “No Preset”?

Hi @mdawson,

1.- Play a song with Technics Music App (Download it from Iphone or android) in DLNA mediarenderer, do not use airplay

2.- If you can play a song from Technics Music App to your DLNA Speaker verify in ST app your Speaker device, must to show in status “No Media”, “Stopped”, or “No Present”

3.- If “No Present” Status, Then your speaker can not be found by st, every 5 minutes the MR Connect searh by any changes in port, but if “No Present” remains. try to run again the MR Connect to find speakers, This will force to search again and update the port

4.- If your speaker have a status different from “No Present” go to Media Renderer Events and select sound, and select dogs, and select your speaker , save the changes

5.- In smart apps list just press the right button in media renderer events app, this button will lunch the event manually without wait some real event, you must hear the dogs in your speaker

I’m staring this process now, but I thought I would mention I had previously installed Denon Remote iOS app and it had found my JBL SoundFly and my Plex install, though it doesn’t seem to control either of them.

OK, Technics app allowed me to pic music from my Plex server.

It sees the JBL Soundfly speaker. But when I try to play it, it spins for a while, then Technics returns “Cannot play.”

Same appears to happen when I use a local file on the iPad.

But it shows the JBL under its list of DNLA speakers.

HI @mdawson, Seem to be a speaker problem , verify the manual and check if its necessary to turn on some mode to work with DLNA, some kind of multi protocol speakers must to select the mode to play airplay, dlna or Bluetooth, again read the manual , some peaple have problems with the router, some routers need to enable upnp service.

I have UPnP turned on in my router.

The JBL manual I found doesn’t mention modes, or even DNLA for that matter.

I’m using the Veetop receiver which according to Things that are smart is compatible. However it never finds the device in the connect setup. My router has UPnP turned on as well.

I’ve created step-by-step instructions of installing a Raspberry Pi as a DLNA mediarenderer which can then be accessed by SmartThings via @ule’s Generic Media Renderer and used by BigTalker.

I documented this while rebuilding my system to use with BigTalker on my Raspberry Pi. That said, it should be able to be used with any SmartApp that makes use of a device with musicPlayer capability. I am looking for willing participants to give these steps a shot and let me know of anything that needs adjustment/improvement.

Instructions ( Link )

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. I make no warranty or guarantee of accuracy / functionality
These instructions are considered Beta until verified by multiple users.

Please leave feedback in the document, in a PM or here: Raspberry Pi as musicPlayer (speech device with BigTalker)

Thanks a lot for your effort. I have already installed using another guide though, so I cannot comments on yours.

I have installed this set of code, and was able to find UPnP as Android speaker but no sounds are coming to my device (Motorola Xoom) when the code is triggered. I have installed and uninstalled multiple media renderers and re copied the code. I don’t know what to do next. The speaker device always shows as “No Present” any ideas as to what I should do?

Hi @ATrain, The DLNA by software is not like a Hardware, some programs change the UUID each time the program is restarted or even when come back form background, I have tested some DLNA programs to android, check the list of compatible devices and software, you must to have the last release of mediaRenderer connect, test it and feedback

I uninstalled the speaker and re-installed with Private Dancer as the Renderer. All is well now. Thanks for your effort!

HI @ATrain , Private Dancer do not feedback the metadata and status, PD just refresh info every 3 minutes, you cant see what is playing, PD works fine with messages but it do not play music after the message very well because it takes 3 min to check if a song is playing, if you want to use it for messages PD is great because works fine in background is very small and works in old devices, I have several old android phones (5 dlls in ebay) to hear the messages almost everyware, you can set to mute if no motion has been detected or if its nigth , etc

If you like this app, please consider supporting its development by making a donation via PayPal.

Any having issues adding new dlna devices via Media Renderer (connect) app? its broken for me with a message Upgrade needed (it looks like all connect apps has the same issue), I already contacted ST support and they replied saying they aware of the issue and will be resolved soon but have the same from 2 weeks.

I am having the same problem hope this is fixed soon…

Literally just managed to add my STR-dn840 sony AV reciever using this. So adding devices works. But I am a little bummed, because, for years i have used serviio as my dlna media server and i’m not clear whether I can use it.

I guess I don’t see how to add serviio as a “control point” Can somebody advise?