[OBSOLETE] GE Motion Switch (26931) and Motion Dimmer (26933)

Strange that about 25% of these switches that I pair with the hub actually DO come in with native support for the motion sensor, etc. Not sure what the secret is.

Hi LJ_inFLA -

I achieved what you want by setting:

defaultLevel to 99
Timeout Duration 1 minute (5 for your needs)
Mode to Vacancy

and then having two SmartLighting routines that run starting from 10:00pm till Sunrise:

• Turn on and set level to 10% when motion is detected
  • Turn on and set level to 100% when button is pushed

So, from 10pm till Sunrise, motion causes the switch to come on at 10% and then pushing the button bumps it up to 100%. After 1 minute, light goes out.

Sorry to bother. I was noticing that I donā€™t get the interface that is shown in the screenshots. All I get is a generic switch interface. I do see the motion ā€œswitchā€ when I try to program other devices based on motion though so thatā€™s a plus, and what I was going for.

Edit: any ideas on how to get it? PS, Iā€™m using the new app.

Are you using the ā€˜legacyā€™ SmartThings app or the ā€˜new oneā€™?

I was using the new one. I just re-downloaded the classic app and it shows up great there.

Okā€¦coolā€¦I donā€™t have the new app, but it is my understanding the devices just show up as ā€˜standardā€™ in the new app.

Hi MichaelS, I used your DTH to get Smartthings to recognize my GE smart motion sensor dimmer and itā€™s working great! Thank you so much for your contributions! The problem Iā€™m having is the 26933 doesnā€™t respond to the Smartthings automation commands. I want the device to only come on starting at 9pm and ending at sunrise. I havenā€™t been able to get it to respond. Suggestions?

When you say automations what do you mean? I use WebCore to reconfigure the devices based on time and It works great. Native smartthings apps donā€™t recognize many of the commands of the DTH but WebCore does.

So this is embarrassing, because Iā€™m not a developer or all that tech savvy. I donā€™t know how to use WebCore. I was barely able to get through the instructions for loading your DTH in the Smartthings EDI. Are you telling me I should bypass the Smartthings app and use this WebCore application? Sorry if this sounds elementaryā€¦

And by automations, Iā€™m referring to the Smartthings app.

Decided to go on an adventure of discovery. Registered to both WebCore and GitHub. Now I have to learn how to use the piston capabilityā€¦

Below is the piston I use to do what you want to do:

You can replace the global variables (@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) with actual times if you want to keep it simpler. I used global variables as I use the same settings for a number of pistons.

The restriction switch is just a ā€œVirtual Switchā€ I created in the IDE to be able to turn off all webCore automations without having to get into webCore to do so. Say I want to temporarily pause the pistonā€¦ I can go to my ā€œSettingsā€ room and turn off the virtual switch that controls ā€œNight Light Dimmingā€.

Last, you need to add your motion switch/dimmer in the list of devices you allow webCore to access from within the webCore smartapp.

If you use the wmw9r backup code to import this piston, you will have most of it done for you. You just need to adjust it per my instructions above. Hopefully this gets you started.

Also, the webCore community is very helpful: https://community.webcore.co/

1 Like

Alex,

Thanks so much! Iā€™ve been tinkering with writing a piston, but I donā€™t have the confidence or experience to know if Iā€™m doing things correctly or not. I will use your template and go from there. Much appreciated!

1 Like

You are on the right trackā€¦Alexā€™s script should get you going into the correct direction.

1 Like

Soooā€¦when I try to import the piston using the code, I get an unpopulated piston. What am I doing wrong? Is this a question for the WebCore forum?

Blank piston? Iā€™ve seen that before. I am not sure what the issue is but a suggestion Iā€™ve been given, and tested successfully, is to close all tabs pointing to webCore and the IDE in all browsers (including your phone). This may be overkill but it has apparently resolved a number of weird issues Iā€™ve seen. Maybe it was just a coincidence, maybe notā€¦ worth a try. Either way, I would report it in the webCore community. I havenā€™t as I always managed to get past the import issue by doing some or all of what I wrote above.

Alex, just tried importing two other pistons with codes and they successfully imported. Could there be something amiss with your import code?

When I tried importing the code it did not work for me either. I modified the piston by simply adding a note and then tried again. After the minor modification I was able to import the piston using the same code shown above. Please try again now.

Yep, worked this time. Thanks, much!

1 Like

I know this thread is a little old now, but how were you able to get the switch to recognize the new DTH? Iā€™m new to this and like you already had the dimmer installed. I added the device handler on the IDE, but the switch remained the same ā€œgenericā€ switch in my classic ST app. I then excluded it and readded it, but it is still the generic version without options. My goal is to get the motion sensor for the light in my bathroom to turn on the fan when it senses motion. Currently the ST app only senses it being on or off when the manual buttons are pressed.
Thanks!