[RELEASE] GE Motion Switch (26931) and Motion Dimmer (26933)

Are you referring to Triple Press or the Toggle API option? Are you 100% sure it is hitting those? If so, how are you determining that those code bits are being hit? I have all kinds of traps set up in my code now and I can’t get any random activity (even purposeful pressing of the devices) to hit anything outside of what is intended.

I am 98 percent sure it is hitting the toggle option. When I see that pattern I showed you in event logs I did capture a debug note from that routine. I do not know what’s calling it. My next step was to shunt out that mode change code and put my switch back to normal settings.

Edit - for clarity, I don’t think I answered your question. I have seen evidence of the pattern we saw (3+ rapid fire button 2 presses in quick succession) cause the switch to change mode and they don’t all have to be physical presses.

I have seen behavior which could be either of those and setting the override to the same as the main mode seems to make it a moot point - the only loss is the ability to override the switch. I have been looking for debug statements from the toggle but they’re really hard to catch as debug doesn’t stay in the event view - it’s only in live logging which is hit or miss. I HAVE seen it fire more than once but I haven’t CAUGHT it with a screenshot. I have an idea to manually log through a REST API call to bypass the ST logs and finally get to he bottom of it, but that’s TON of work.

What I know for a fact is disabling the override seems to be an adequate workaround until we figure it out and without direct evidence of the triple press being related to the togglemode Im chasing the ‘switch is accidentally triggering override mode’ theory at the moment and trying to build a nonintrusive test for it right now…

Hello all - new user here. First - thanks to Michael and you all for this handler! I have 3 of these switches, so I will be getting a lot of use on this.

I initially installed 2 of the switches using the default handler and it was “limited” - which brought me here. I removed the 2 switches from my ST Hub and have now added them back. I get the new IDE interface, but I am seeing some issues

• on the main ST screen I see the devices, but they both show as “Checking Status” and have been for quite some time. I did a Hub reset - still “Checking Status”
  • When I open either of the devices, The "Button: says “Standby” and the “Motion sensor” shows a cloud with a line through it.

I’m assuming the “Button” and “Motion Detector” settings are tied to it not being fully integrated (“Checking Status”). I can control the light (on/off and dimmer) from the app so there is connectivity of some sort - just not for motion detector yet.

I looked through the Device Handler page (very thorough BTW) but couldn’t see anything about “Check Status” or even “Standby”. Any insights of experience would be appreciated!

Whenever you see the little cloud with a line through it, it means the device is offline, typically. However, if you are controlling it then it is something else. This sounds like it is on the SmartThings side of things…

What I would recommend is to remove the devices, do a reset of the device in question (10 presses of one of the buttons…I can’t recall), then try to add it back in. It MAY come back with a generic handler. In which case you will need to go into the IDE and simply switch handlers to the proper one.

If you end up with the same result, see if using the generic Motion Switch gives the same behavior. If not, I would check the code very carefully to ensure you properly copied/pasted all of it from GitHub to the IDE. Remember to not only SAVE, but PUBLISH it in the IDE as well.

Hope that helps.

Is it possible to program the double-press action in WebCore?

I’ve been wrestling with the GE 26933 Z-Wave Motion Sensor Dimmer Switch for the last few days. I’ve been able to add it as a device and can turn it on and off and change the dimming from the new SmartThings app. What I haven’t been able to get working is the motion sensor. I created a Smart Lighting SmartApp to turn on the light and set the level to 80% when there is motion. When I go in the room nothing happens. I also tried creating an automation, but there is no option to trigger based on motion. I tried going the webCoRE route and when I select the device as part of an if statement, there is no motion option. I’m currently using version 1.0.9 of the DTH.

I hope there is someone out there who has gotten this to work that can point me in the right direction.

The best thing to do to ‘force’ the motion sensor to work is to go into the device, choose generic motion switch for the device, then change it back. Also, make sure the label and the name match…that sometimes forces the new SmartThings app to recognize the device.

Also, you WILL want to make sure the motion sensor is ON in the setting of the DTH once you get it working.

The label and the name do match. I’m not sure how to set the device to be a generic motion switch. Can you walk me through that? When I look at the device in the IDE, under Current States there is no value for motion. I assume that this will say on once I get it working.

Can you share a screenshot of your mobile app screen for the device? That is a good starting point.

I was able to figure out that I have to click on the device and click the dots and go into settings. It looks like everything is working now. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

I’ve got a couple of related questions, and I did not read through the 500+ comments on this thread. I’ve got the 26931 (or similar) which has worked well and quickly and does not turn on during daylight, because the controls are all on board the switch. I’m thinking about adding the 26933 in another application where I’d still keep the quick responding motion activated on the switch, but use smart things and a lux reader to set the light levels. I’d set to zero when turned off, so the light would not come one until ST responds with an appropriate light level. Will this approach work? Short of webcore, could multiple automations/ smart lighting logic be used to set varying light levels for daylight control? Also, does this dimmer adjust LEDs very well?

Let me answer the last question first…if the LEDs are dimmable (most are these days) this device will work.

As for your question, yes…this acts like any other dimmer, and you can remotely (i.e. automation) set it to whatever level you want.

I do something similar, in that at night I have the automations turn them on, but I set (within the switch) the max level at 5%…so they come on upon motion, but don’t blow out my eyes at night. I push that config via WebCore, however, so it is not something you can natively do with SmartThings.

I should have clarified my second question as “works well with LEDs” Some of the reviews for other products indicated bussing and flickering. My other dimmers don’t have these issues, but there is little diming until about 15%.

I like your idea about fixing a lower level at night. I’m not ready to commit to Webcore at this point, but will keep this in mind for the future.

I have never had issues with any LED lights and the GE dimmer.

I’ve had buzzing at the dimmer with poor quality LEDs a few times - In every case it was right after I installed the device and still had older LED bulbs in the fixture attached to the switch. Switching the bulbs to something of a higher quality than ‘el cheapo Costco special’ resolved it.

I use the Smart Lighting app to achieve the same thing. I have two routines for each switch, one for the button and one for the motion.

Button - Between 10pm and Sunrise, when the button is pushed, turn on the light at 100%
Motion - Between 10pm and Sunrise, when motion is detected, turn on the light at 1% and turn if off 2 mins after motion stops

Also, the default dim level is set to 99% so that when the automation is not active, the button will turn the light on at, basically, full level vs last activated level.

I don’t hear any buzzing from either my LED bulbs or from the LED can lights.