[OBSOLETE] GE Motion Switch (26931) and Motion Dimmer (26933)

Lol, seems like a pretty safe bet…

I’m guessing that if there was a way to force clear cache you’d have mentioned it already. Maybe I’ll just leave the on the wrong DTH overnight and switch it back in the morning. Any merit to that?

Length of time shouldn’t make a difference…I think the issue you and others are having is a bit more deep seated within SmartThings’ cloud infrastructure.

Rolling it back fixed it! Well, it didn’t, but re-updating to the latest DTH after rolling back fixed it! I still have the goofy icon (my OCD self is gonna just have to live with that) but I have motion reporting in the GUI and I was able to set motion as a trigger in Automations.

Thank you so much for all your attention to this, @MichaelS

@h0ckeysk8er, if you have any trouble or aren’t sure what the heck I’m talking about, I’ll be happy to share exactly what steps I took that finally restored my motion dimmers.

@MichaelS, i saw someone use ocfDeviceType to override just the icon in a DTH… Let me see if I can find it…

That would be helpful @nathancu .

Also, @Winslow I am glad that is working…again, I had a guess that would do it (indirectly as you pointed out). Depending on how far you went back in versions, you may have loaded the one before I implemented the ocfDeviceType, in essence (probably) ‘clearing the cache’…then re-implementing it filled in the gap.

Here: Custom Capability and CLI Developer Preview

Possibly oic.d.switch or oic.r.sensor.motion?

Also I remember where I saw it - someone added the robot vacuum device type to the Neato DTH and got a smart vac icon to show in newapp.

1 Like

I loaded one from 2018. Figured it was probably the DTH I’d been using before updating to current.

Makes sense…that would have not had anything in it for the new app…again, you had a caching issue and it is good to know how to clear that out :slight_smile:

As for @nathancu suggestion for changing the ocfDeviceType…When I change it (and then try to clear the cache) the icon goes to a bulb, then back to the ‘generic’ icons. Ironically, my motion switches work great…it is just the dimmer that is having an issue. In playing with this, it also seems to have a bit to do with the ‘vid’ settings as well…I am going to play around with it a bit and see what I can come up with as I was able to get it to change so I just need to find the proper icon for it.

1 Like

I might have not done it right, but when I added (Motion) to the label, the new app immediately added motion status in the device page. I then followed the other instructions and by the time I was done it was back to the non descriptive icon and no motion. It was working not long ago so I am guessing some new app or infrastructure change is to blame…

I have (Motion) in my system and I have the strange icon, so I am not sure it keys off the name or label. You are correct that the new app is the cause of what you are seeing; all of the work develops put into the GUI in Groovy are lost in the new app. Only API development for DTHs seem to be supported now for modifying the GUI.

So, if I understand what I’ve been reading, you get either the dimmer/brightness control or the motion control in the app, but you can’t get both?

At this time, yes…Not a big deal to me since I never go adjust the lights with the app (Alexa or automation), but I continue to work on it and might have something in the near future (only, probably, to be messed up my the transition :frowning: )

1 Like

I actually do have motion and dim in my GUI:

For the device above, however, motion is visible to add as a trigger, but it doesn’t work. It’s also not showing up in the device history. For another motion dimmer, it is working and does show up in device history. I’ll play with it more this evening and make sure that when I walk into the room I see live motion reporting.

Hmmm…Once again inconsistent display/actions for different people. Very strange. I can see motion as a trigger on my items. Sigh…

1 Like

I see motion as a trigger. It’s set. But when I walk into my bedroom the lamps don’t turn on. I didn’t dive further last night. Just now I looked at the history and no motion events are recorded.

Same device in my kitchen is working fine and motion is in the history.

My first troubleshooting step this evening will be to make sure that motion shows up in the live GUI view when I dance in front of the switch.

I agree…the motion does show up in the GUI properly…and if that is the case the automations SHOULD pick up on it. If not, that is a separate issue outside of the DTH.

haha…just for giggles I did what you did (@Winslow) and used a very old version of the DTH to ‘clear’ everything out. Now, my icon is like a motion sensor, but no motion sensor attribute shows up in the app (but the dimmer is there :slight_smile: ). The motion sensor DOES still work in SmartLighting and WebCore, but does NOT show up in the automations. When I change the DTH to a generic motion detector light, the motion sense comes back. And, for edification, I did check to see if the motion sensor shows motion in the app…it does.

So, the automations will ONLY see what the app sees…all ‘legacy’ applications such as WebCore and SmartLighting see what is actually programmed in the DTH…

I REALLY don’t recommend anyone use the built in automation for any custom devices…just too inconsistent.

Edit and I just tested WebCore with the motion…it triggers just fine…so again, NO to ST Automations :frowning:

Edit2 I think I found a compromise between icon, capabilities and functionality. I will probably publish a new set of DTHs by the weekend as I THINK I finally fixed Winslow’s OCD issue with the icon, my OCD with having the motion sensor show up. I have NO idea how Winslow got the dimmer slider to work AND have the motion sensor, but that is my goal now as well…Are you using the standard 1.0.9 DTH now @Winslow?

I’m still on 1.0.8.

Well, I am conflicted…The version I am working on will help folks that first come into this brand new as one of the defaults was set incorrectly and it is NOT easy in the new app to change them. However, current users that expect the icon to change, the correct sliders to be available, etc, are going to be disappointed as developers don’t seem to have the ability to control much of that…especially when it has been cached as it appears.

I will see what I can do…

1 Like

Yes I’m on the latest DTH. Just tested my bedroom switch. Motion does not show up in “live view” of the device. So everything looks right, but it’s not seeing motion for some reason. (Which obviously explains why the automation isn’t working.)

Other motion dimmers look the same but do show motion (and work with automations).