SmartThings Community

[RELEASE] Free Ecobee Suite, version 1.6.**

Looks like what happens when the Ecobee servers go down for an extended period of time. The code will generally recover, but if the outage is too long (multiple hours), you may have to re-authenticate again (even if Ecobee Suite Manager says that you are already connected - just login again anyway).

1 Like

That was exactly it, I just re-authenticated and I can now again access my Helper Apps!

I really appreciate the support you’ve provided given that Ecobee Suit is free! Thank you!

2 Likes

The Ecobee servers are down right now.

Hi - would it be possible to create way to set arbitrary Settings via webcore? There are a number of settings that I’d like to tweak (backlightOnIntensity and followMeComfort as mention upthread) as well as a few others. Rather than having to add each individually, would it make sense to add a custom capability like setSetting (key, val)? Thanks for considering it!

I will look into it, once I complete the Universal port effort that I have underway…

2 Likes

Backlog Transparency

Just so everyone knows, here’s the current backlog for my Ecobee Suite:

1. Universal Port - single source images support both SmartThings and Hubitat (IN PROCESS - BETA Test available)
    • Including Native Notification, SMS and Speech support for Hubitat NEW!!!
  2. New “Working from Home” Helper app (resets program to Home if someone is home at a certain time) (IN PROCESS - BETA Test available)
  3. New “Thermal Comfort” Helper app (automatically adjusts setpoints based on temp & humidity) (IN PROCESS - BETA Test available)
  4. Allow programmatic changes of ‘any’ thermostat parameter. (IN PROCESS - BETA Test available)

The BETA Test mentioned above is available as described here: [BETA] Universal Ecobee Suite for SmartThings & Hubitat (Free)

4 Likes

Found it. Thank you

I’ve been having a lot of trouble with this, as well. I can connect with the Ecobee app but, the SmartThings integration is dead until I re-authorize again. Seems like it’s becoming a daily chore the last couple of weeks.

The ecobee servers have been going up and down a lot over the past few weeks. You can subscribe to be notified when there are problems here https://status.ecobee.com/.

2 Likes

This is the stuff that irritates the stuffing out of me.

Ecobee is a cloud system. They have our email addresses the moment we connect the thing.

Why can’t companies like this (btw, this applies to Smartthings too) be proactive, and let all their users know when their servers are malfunctioning?? Why do we, who are already subscribed to the service, have to subscribe again to get service alerts??

go to status.ecobee.com, and Register for Updates. Over the past week, I’ve been getting notices within minutes of an outage and again shortly after the problem is resolved.

Emailing every registered user would be inappropriate - email etiquette (and the laws in the EU) require that people must subscribe to such email notifications, otherwise it would be illegal spam email.

2 Likes

Did that ages ago. I already get the alerts.

Didn’t know about the EU position on this idea. Perhaps that could be mitigated by including it in the license agreement?

Nope. Requires a separate registration to demonstrate active intent. It can’t be hidden in the license (which we know nobody reads) as that would be passive, lacking evidence of intent by the user.

2 Likes

An interesting note on this topic.

My main floor ecobee controls a system that does both heat and AC, while the upper level controls only an AC unit. One of my Webcore pistons says that if the upstairs unit is running, the main floor unit will not be heating.

My wife is home with an illness. She turned on the AC upstairs as the sun beating down on the roof was making that area waaay too warm. And she had windows open around the house. Yet when I walked in the door, there was the heat on downstairs while the AC was on upstairs.

I look forward to the ecobee server situation being stabilized.

Today’s Ecobee outage was just over an Hour (~10:30am - ~11:35am EDT), and did not affect all users (my logs don’t show any outage today).

1. Did you verify that your WebCoRE piston actually did what you want (did it see the upstairs AC turn on, did it turn off the downstairs HVAC)?
  2. Do you have a Open Contacts Helper SmartApp downstairs that turns off the HVAC if any windows/doors are open for more than a couple of minutes?

If you used #2 above, the HVAC would likely have been shut off shortly after the Ecobee servers returned (I think - I’m going to check the code).

The Universal Ecobee Suite (version 1.7.00) that is currently in Beta testing includes logic to track failed API calls, and then to replay them (in order) when the Ecobee servers return. Once working reliably, this should ensure that your HVAC is turned off after the Ecobee outage completes.

Thermal comfort smart app would be AWESOME! that is what I have been trying to achieve via rules and triggers

1 Like

New [BETA] Update for Universal Ecobee Suite Posted!

The BETA testing is nearing its close, and this new release has many new features of interest to SmartThings users of my Ecobee Suite, including:

• Programmatic access to most Ecobee settings using setEcobeeSetting()
  • Performance improvements
  • Automated replay of Ecobee commands that fail due to Ecobee server outage
  • New Thermal Comfort Helper
  • New Working from Home Helper
  • New Notifications mechanism, including Spoken notifications using SpeechDevices and MusicPlayers
  • Near 100% compatibility with the Hubitat version (Hubitat lacks Routines)

I strongly encourage current users of Ecobee Suite to consider trying this new version. I need all the feedback I can get before I release this significant milestone!

Get more info here: [BETA] Universal Ecobee Suite for SmartThings & Hubitat (Free)

Hey, thanks so much for this Ecobee integration suite - it works very well. I did have a question regarding remote sensors with the new SmartThings app, however: is it possible to change the data being shown by the tiles for remote sensors in the new app? In ST Classic, it shows the temperature, but in New-ST, it shows motion sensor status.

Thanks again!

Chris -

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a vid definition that includes both temperature and motion, and that displays Temperature on the main tile. I specify vid: "generic-motion" because that is the only vid I could find that includes both motion and temperature.

This is one of the many shortcomings of the new Samsung SmartThings app.

Feel free to mess around with different ‘vid’ settings in the Ecobee Suite Sensor code (in the metadata/definition) - maybe you will have better luck than I.

If you find one that works, let me know!!!

@iderdik

The latest BETA release of my Universal Ecobee Suite now includes support for the setEcobeeSetting('name', 'value') command. Hopefully this will satisfy your request…

1 Like