[DEPRECATED] Free Ecobee Suite, version 1.6.**

This is exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you for being so detailed, it really is helpful.

My setup includes:

• Google Home Minis
  • WebCoRE
  • Life360

After many issues with Samsung’s location services I use Life360 as a presence sensor, I have no smartapps except for those required to get devices into WebCoRE. Presence is passed to webcore and actions are triggered via logic there when the home determines it’s empty (all people gone) or occupied (at least one person home). The Ecobee’s internal settings are set such that holds are until next event. The current DTH I’m using defaults to all holds being permanent, which is great when setting away, but not when I holler at Google to make it X degrees warmer/cooler (which routes from Google to SmartThings to the DTH) and thus sets that change as permanent.

So the solution I’m after is a simple DTH that allows me to keep the Google-routed and SmartThings-app triggered changes as Temporary, while still allowing WebCoRE-programmed settings of away to be set as Permanent. Returning from away is as easy as a resume command that wipes all holds and voila.

I try to make the Ecobee do all the work (minus location based away) so I don’t have to fight against the way it’s meant to be used or update temperatures or schedule in more than one place.

Then you should have no problems with my DTH. Set the default hold type in my Suite to Temporary, so that stuff from Google/SmartThings expire at the next scheduled program change, and have WebCore make a (custom) call to set the Away program with the Permanent flag…

FWIW, you should be able to install my Suite alongside whatever you are currently running, then change the device that you have WebCore and Google pointing at. Then you could test it out before fully disassembling what you currently have…Once satisfied, you could then remove the old DTH.

1 Like

Anyway to figure out why my ecobee (3 lite) keeps turning on to auto mode when I turn off the thermostat? I’m using this smartapp and I don’t have anything changing the thermostat ( like webcore).

Try setting Debug Level 5 in Ecobee Suite manager, then monitor live logging for Ecobee Suit Manager and Ecobee Suite Thermostat.

I messaged you as to not take up the thread. Thanks

I’ve successfully created webCoRE pistons that set a temporary hold for Ecobee programs like this: setThermostatProgram('Home', 'holdHours', 1)

…but how do you set a temporary hold for specific temperatures? It doesn’t look like ‘setTemperature’ works or I’m using an incorrect syntax. I’m sure I’m missing something simple, but I can’t seem to find it in the ecobee documentation either.

Thanks for your help!

Setpoint operations are as defined by the SmartThings “thermostatSetpoint” capability.

You need to call:

• setHeatingSetpoint( temperature, holdType )
  • setCoolingSetpoint( temperature, holdType )

where holdType is one of indefinite, nextTransition, or an integer number of hours to hold

You can call one or both, if you only call one, the other will remain the currectly scheduled temperature, and if you call both, you should do so one after the other, and the actual hold type will be the one specified in the last call.

I don’t see the setHeatingSetpoint() or setCoolingSetpoint() commands in webCoRE. Am I missing something? I do see setHeatingSetpointDelay(), though.

There is a Set Heating Point command, but there’s no way to add parameters to it. The hold type defaults to whatever the DTH or SmartApp is set at in the app.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all your work on this! :+1:

Sounds like a problem with WebCoRE - those two commands are defined by SmartThings

https://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html?highlight=setHeatingSetpoint#thermostat-heating-setpoint

I extended the document entry point with the optional parameter of hold type, but WebCoRE should be exposing the entry point anyway. I don’t know why it doesn’t work, but since it isn’t my code, I suggest you discuss over on the WebCoRE community pages.

(setHeatingSetpointDelay is internal-use only - you won’t be able to make it work if you try calling it, because it passes arguments in state variables that you can’t access).

Hi there. I have an issue where I ask Alexa to set “ecobee thermostat” to X degrees and it says “hmm ecobee thermostat is not responding”. Strange thing is it does actually get set. Any thoughts?

@cincy_josh

Is this with the native Alexa/Ecobee integration, or using SmartThings with Ask Alexa and my Ecobee Suite?

If the former, you’ll need to ask both Ecobee and Amazon for help.

If it’s the latter, you probably need to make the Ask Alexa command timeout longer. Search this document:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Troubleshooting

for the string “There was an error with the requested skills response” to see how to change the timeout value.

Thanks for the quick reply. This is using the ecobee suite with SmartThings. I thought the ask Alexa component was only if you wanted the current temp, not just the basic setting a temp?

If you are using Ask Alexa with SmartThings, as in “Alexa, ask SmartThings to set Ecobee to 72 degrees”, then you need to extend the timeout as I described before.

If you xay “Alexa, tell Ecobee to set the temperature to 72 degrees”, then you are NOT using SmartThings or my Ecobee Suite - you have asked Alexa to request that Ecobee change the temperature directly, If you have issues using this command, you need to request assistance from Ecobee and/or Amazon.

So…what command are you saying when you get the issue?

I say “Alexa set ecobeetherm ecobee to 70 degrees”. Ecobeetherm ecobee is a device of type thermostat in smartthings from your ecobee suite.

I suggest that you remove the SmartThings ecobee from Alexa’s devices, and enable the Ecobee native support instead. There is no way to solve the problem if you have Alexa tell SmartThings to tell Ecobee to change the temperature. You will have a much better Alexa/Ecobee experience, but you will still have the ability to use/monitor via SmartThings.

Thanks!
Barry

Is the Ecobee’s Vacation mode exposed anywhere?

I’m trying to right a piston in WebCoRE that fires when the Ecobee goes into Vacation mode.

Can you explain the interaction between the Ecobee schedule, and modes? For example, let’s say I have a schedule set up for a given day that switches from home to away at 7am and back to home at 4pm and I also use Smart Modes to have ST switch the mode to Away when everyone leaves and also to set the mode to home when someone returns. If everyone leaves at 6:30am ST will run the routine and the Ecobee will be switched to Away. If someone returns at 8am ST should set the mode back to Home, right? Even though the schedule says that time period is in the Away time period from 7-4. Does the Ecobee only recognize the schedule when there is a schedule change? Will any mode change made by ST stay active until the schedule changes? I’m assuming schedule changes and ST commanded mode changes are different than “holds” as referenced in the Ecobee Suite Preferences.

Yes, the devices’ currentProgramName attribute will be “Vacation”

You can use the Ecobee Suite Smart Mode/Routine/Program Helper to manage and control what happens. In the described case, you would create a Smart M/R/P Helper that watches the SmartThings Routine that you have run when everyone leaves (Goodbye!), and set the thermostat to Away; and another watching the ST Routine that runs when anyone returns (I’m Back!) to set the thermostat(s) to Home.

That helper will change the thermostat’s Program if it isn’t already what is desired, and it will use the hold type you specify (permanent or temporary/until next change). Basically, temporary will put the thermostat back in control of its schedule, while permanent will put SmartThings in control of program changes. If you use the Smart Recovery feature of the Ecobee, then you probably want to use temporary.

You may also want to override the scheduled “Away” if someone actually stays at home (e.g., a sick or work-from-home day). I use another SmartApp to override the scheduled change to Away when I’m at home - I’ll probably add that to the Suite soon as another Helper - meanwhile, let me know if you need it.

Smart Mode updated to v1.6.17 on Nov 17, 2018 at 10:10am EST

• Adds more logging of requested and actual PWS Station ID for WeatherUnderground external temp source
  • Calculates the dewpoint for WU PWS’s that don’t provide dewpoint temperature
1 Like