[OBSOLETE] Foscam Camera Device Handler Universal DTH with Motion Detection - SD (FI89xx), HD Ambarella FI98xx, FI99xx, Cx, Gx, Rx, Ex, Zx, Fosbaby

Wow, nice update. after removing everything and starting from scratch, the only thing I cant get to work is the “take picture” when I click take picture there is no preview and I can not view the shot. I am using an F19821P v2 .
I am using the “other Foscam” driver.

Any thoughts?

Just tested it on the 9821 and it’s working fine. Reboot your camera/ST hub, kill your ST mobile app and restart it. That pretty much fixes 99% of every issue we’ve seen, including with the video streaming. If something doesn’t work in the ST mobile app just kill the app and restart it.

Thank you, I restarted everything and I am still having issues. I am going to wipe out everything and try one more time. Probably user error :slight_smile:

Working now… Thanks again. Full remove and reinstall worked. Maybe I messed something up the first time.

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for your efforts…

Discovery Issue: I didn’t had your previous apps. I just configured your device handler and app. How long the discovery steps takes? Is C1 model supported for auto discovery? I have 4 foscam cams up which I just made sure that I can connect via Foscam app and via direct IP url. Do I have to do anything else to get them discovered?

I waited on discovery steps 15 mins 1st time, and started again and waiting for another 15 mins.

Update: In live logging I found this when discovery was on for Cam’s IP:

error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "02009B1F"
trace GOT LOCATION EVT: index:1C, mac:E**********, ip:C0********, port:2711, type:LAN_TYPE_UDPCLIENT, payload:Seems an ID of 258 chars

Hi @neelp

Yes it supports all Foscam cameras, it takes a few minutes to discover depending on your network setup and camera response time.

Have you set the camera name on your camera in your camera web settings? It looks like it isn’t able to parse the name your camera is reporting.

Can you eMail us the entire data you’re seeing in your Live Logging including the 258 byte data and I’ll take a look at it.

@maddie Yes had the camera name setup. I have setup the camera manually for now. I’ll email the error.

@maddie
I installed this by the directions 3 times. I have a Foscam FI8910W and the app does find the the camera.Everything install correctly but i just get a black screen most of the time for the preview.I did at one point get a feed but it massively delayed.I do the have the feed setup with actiontiles and the feed is fast. (so the connection is good) no erros in the app under recently.

Ideas?

Edit:1 I have rebooted both the app and hub
Edit 2: The camera is connected because I can I can move the camera with the controls.
edit: 3 motion seems to be working and screenshots are good, but not the preview.

Just received a new F19821P and it is a V3… I have 2 V2 cameras that work fine. I have copied all the settings exactly and I am getting the following error in SmartThings

"Camera responded with result -1- > CGI request string format error, your Username or Password may contain invalid character. The only allowed special characters are ~!@^*()_ "

I have made sure my password follows the rules. It will take a picture, but just not video.

Any thoughts?

The video feed goes from the camera to the hub to the SmartThings platform to your phone (which is why you can access it from outside your house as well now). It’s likely somewhere along the chain that things had slowed down for you or it’s getting delayed to a point where your ST mobile app isn’t able to connect reliably. Try to reboot your router and check your internet connection. It’s possible that that platform itself may be running slow.

Hi @maddie I have the access to the the camera from outside of my network. (port forward). Inside of actiontiles, the speed it just fine. Inside the “Thing” is really delayed. It seems to be “hit or miss”. I just connected to the camera in “things” and it the best I’ve seen for speed- Maybe a 1-2 second delay between frames. Before it was 10-15 second…between frames.

Motion is super delayed as well. maybe 15 seconds before it reads motion. That could just be a limitation of the camera with the software

Yes George, as I mentioned in my earlier post this is how SmartThings video feed is setup in the mobile app. It traverses the entire chain and the slowest component determines the speed/delay. Port forwarding works differently and it’s a direct connections between the app and the camera. SmartThings mobile doesn’t support port forwarding, video streams go through the hub hence it can work outside the house even without port forwarding now.

The 5-10 second notification time for the Foscam cameras is normal as that’s about the time the camera takes to report the information to ST and make it’s way back to the mobile app. Again it depends on your setup (hub, internet, ST account etc). In our lab setup we see maybe a 2-3 second round trip delay in the video feed about 5-10 seconds to get the motion notification.

If you have a low latency connection that helps a lot, but if the hub/ST is running slow the best you can do it reboot the hub, router, camera and kill your ST mobile app and restart it.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.

so should I disable port forwarding and see if this improves performance? Do you know if this would still work in Actiontiles? I guess I can test this myself but I figured Id ask anyhow.

thanks again

Hi @maddie
I disabled port forwarding and reboot the hub and restarted the mobile app. While connected to wifi, i can see the video with just a little lag. Everything works great! I disconnect from wifi and I cant see the video. In settings I put in my local address 192.168.x.x.

Should this work outside of the network? Did I misread your post?

Thanks again

George, as I mentioned earlier it’s the slowest link on the chain. If you’ve disconnected from WiFi I’m assuming you’re on a cellular network and maybe the latency on your network may be too much for the ST mobile app to handle.

It’s working fine here on WiFi and on an AT&T/Verizon LTE connection with 5 bars connectivity.

Yes you’ve configured it correctly you only need to enter your Local LAN IP address. (Optionally) If you’re using port forwarding you can enter your external public IP address the camera settings page (scroll down and where it asks for external IP address for video streaming) that will let ST choose on whether it wants to use the LAN IP or external IP (again, the device handler has no control over it, it only provides the options to ST and ST will choose which one it wants to use, most of the time it uses the internal LAN IP and routes the connection through the hub).

Thanks again for the reply! For some reason, the local ip wasnt working at. But instead of using DDNS (which is what I was using) I just used the WAN IP with port forwarding and everything is working as you described in your test lab. (thumbs up)

Nice work on the app and great customer services,

2 Likes

@whosinaname
Same issue here.
I have 2 indoor Foscam (FI9821W V2) and 1 outdoor (FI9803P V2)
The two indoor work fine.
The outdoor has exactly same problem as yours, just take picture, not video, same error warning about username/password even all 3 have same usename & password

1 Like

For everyone needing to access cameras from outside their home network, you can also VPN into your home router and access whatever camera/storage/device you want as if you are at home. I believe this is the safest and most private option compared to port forwarding, etc. I was scared to setup a VPN server client but it was as simple as enabling the built-in VPN server (free) in my router and downloading a VPN client (free) on my phone.

1 Like

VpN is not a good solution.

Why do you think VPN is not a good solution? Do you know of a better solution?