[OBSOLETE] Foscam Camera Device Handler Universal DTH with Motion Detection - SD (FI89xx), HD Ambarella FI98xx, FI99xx, Cx, Gx, Rx, Ex, Zx, Fosbaby

ST doesnt’ support third party integration as yet for SHM.

Understood that the Foscam is not available under cameras, but what does Enable Monitoring do (switch)

“When using as Switch, turning it will enable the Monitoring, turning it off will Disable the Monitoring.”

I’ve got some REALLY basic confusion.

My camera has a device type of “Foscam Universal Device” but I’ve never used your code as far as I know. Is there a generic device type available in graph that has this name, so similar to yours?

@RBoy I have tried everything to get my Foscam FI9816P working. I have followed your instructions and still get no picture coming through from it. IP address and login details are correct. My current NetworkID is coming up as c0a8000e:0058 which doesnt seem right? When I try to take a snapshot checking Live Logging shows the following:

cbd0b189-001c-48c1-9c62-a77f4420187f 8:05:21 PM: trace Received response from Camera to hubAction
510ee80a-c94f-40c3-b14a-165db0d5f30e 8:05:21 PM: trace IPAddress 192.168.0.14 is a private IP Address
510ee80a-c94f-40c3-b14a-165db0d5f30e 8:05:21 PM: trace Sending command ->http://192.168.0.14:88/snapshot.cgi?user=xxx&pwd=xxxxxxxxx
510ee80a-c94f-40c3-b14a-165db0d5f30e 8:05:21 PM: debug Taking Photo

Any ideas anyone?

Yes. See the installation instructions on my website. It’s given there

sT platform has been facing some major issues since last night. Many things have broken including timers and scheduling. Yu may be facing issues related to that. Your config looks fine. I think the platform has just crapped out really badly

I’m not sure how that can be, since I have not paid you for your device type and don’t have a login or password for your site.

Well then I guess you should.

Anyways the platform issue affecting all smart apps and devices.

I think the device type you are seeing is this:

Foscam Universal Internal Device Type (HD\Non-HD with Alarm\LED\PTZ Control)

:slight_smile: good catch, explains it all. None of my apps would work with the device type, it doesn’t support those features. You would need to use my device type for the apps the advanced functionality (motion sensor, trigger pictures, linking presets to modes etc).

Just got two Foscam FI9821P cameras, and spent time today getting them set up. I’ve updated both of them to the latest firmware, and then getting them set up in ST using this device type. The first one I set up works flawlessly, no issues taking pictures or using the presets, etc. The second one seems fine taking pictures, until I try to move the camera. (testing presets) - If I press the preset button, give it a few seconds to move to the preset location and try to take a picture, the Taking button freezes, and I get this in the log:

I will have to back out of the device in the ST app, and go back in, and press the preset button again, and it will usually move to the preset position and I can take a picture, without error. So I know the network settings/port forwarding are working fine. Is this possibly some kind of actual camera issue or could something be going on in the device type to cause this?

You’re using a public ip address, I’d wager this is a port forwarding/network setup issue. The hub can’t connect to the camera or the camera is rejecting it. Why not use an internal IP address?

Well, I doubt it is a port forwarding issue - I have two cameras set up, each with their own IP address and port, and associated port forward on my router. The first camera I set up works perfectly this way, I can move the camera, turn the alarm off/on and never gets the errors that the second camera is reporting (somewhat randomly)… But if it were a port forwarding issue, it would never work… but it does work sometimes.

I just tried the local IP address, but it never finished taking picture or turning on/off the alarm, the picture never saves or shows up, and the alarm doesn’t turn on/off. Not to mention that What good does using the internal IP do me if I want to look at it when I am not at home?

then I suspect it may be a ST platform issue. You may want to report it to ST support and they could look into why it’s connecting sometimes and not others.

Was there ever a dedicated amcrest thread? There was talk about it a few weeks ago. I just dumped a Samsung for an amcrest (89.99 vs 179.99) and I’ll tell you I’m pretty impressed with the quality. The app is way faster and it has ptz. Wondering like foscam if there is way to get some compabikity within ST or Smarttiles?

1 Like

since the amcrest cameras are actually foscam’s, it’s quite possible, this device type might work, @RBoy would have to answer specifically. As for SmartTiles, Go to Foscam’s site and browse the cameras - you’ll typically get a salesperson livechat, and you can ask them if the amcrest cameras also support MJPEG feed, which SmartTiles needs. The instructions to set up a foscam camera is here:

Well, pretty sure it is/was the camera. I had Amazon send me a replacement, and it’s been good with everything I’ve thrown at it, like the first one. Not sure what the camera’s issue was, but I suspect the network chip was flaky. In testing, I could start watching the stream in a browser tab, and it would just randomly drop and disconnect the stream. multiple refreshes and it would eventually come back. Either way, so long as the new one works, I don’t much care.

Thanks though… I am sure you love issues that take care of themselves, lol

1 Like

Oh dear. I don’t want to admit it, but I found the problem, and it wasn’t the camera. Apparently I assigned an IP address to the camera that was already assigned out of the DHCP pool of my router, so the camera was fighting with my Chromecast that I forgot was plugged in. facepalm Yes, I work in IT… yes, we are human. LOL.

just curious but how is it that you can charge people money and release an app that contains GPL open source code? is that even allowed? also i dont understand why you would charge and why others woudl pay for something that clearly is flawed and doesnt work reliably all the time… the great thing about this community is sharing our code and devices so post your code for free and get over trying to make a quick buck

David, been through this many times so lets take on a new thread. There are no license violations, it isn’t GPL code. Please do your homework.
I have a lot of apps I contribute openly to the community and tons of stuff I do to give back to ST to make this platform better/more stable. I openly support and promote the efforts of folks who do contribute to the community.

However I choose to charge for some apps given the effort I put into them to make, maintain and enhance them - and more importantly to keep me and my team motivated and support the folks who use them. There are always a few who don’t appreciate the effort and want everything for “free”. No one is asking you to pay for the apps/support, feel free to use the apps I’ve published here for free (and bugfixed).

2 Likes