[OBSOLETE] Fibaro Motion Sensor ZW5 (ver. 3.2) (Advanced DTH)

@Levahj Master in thinkering, you and me both :slight_smile:

Thank you for providing all that information and the page from the manual.

My troublesome sensors are the ones furthest away from the hub however they are not so far away at the same time. My hub is under the stairs (not the best location) but I’ve set up a make shift server room ie multimedia equipment, routers, modem etc. Primary reason is to hide the wires. My home is less than 10 years old and as such has good installation but also reflective sheets on the back of all plasterboard in each of the rooms (therefore affecting WIFI signals (known) and I’ve always assumed all other signals zwave and zigbee too).

My initial sensor is in the room (Kitchen) next door to the hub but far side of the room and the other sensor is in the Sunroom, next after the Kitchen and the furthest away from the hub.

I ran the test for the furthest away sensor first (Sunroom) and it failed to connect, connected directly, connected via repeaters. After a while it settled on Glowing green. I retried 10 minutes later and it stayed again on green. I tested the one in the closer room to the hub (Kitchen) next and it started and stayed on Glowing Green (this sensor works often then randomly stops often getting stuck on motion, i notice this one more as I attempted to use it to automate lights in the room). The above tests were without the ST plug powered on. I installed the plug, completed my ZWave repair (which noted a device I was no longer using but which would have been previously plugged into both the Kitchen and Sunroom) - but one which i had stopped using a long time ago, as it would loose connection to the hub. I re-ran my tests and both connected directly to the hub.

I have now removed the non used zwave device, re-built the zwave again and retested and both again connected straight to the hub. I’m going to retest again over the next few days to see if there is any changes.

I love the fact I now have something measurable to test and check against.

Since you asked I’ll keep you posted and thanks again for the information.

Thanks for sharing. That reflective coating on the back of your drywall could certainly be wreaking havoc on your zwave mesh - especially if you see it with the WiFi… Keep that repeater in your kitchen and if you have not yet, try putting it as close to in between your hub and the sensors as much as you can. Maybe even put a second one in there? Keep testing the sensors ranges and if you can do it when the motion is stuck that would be best. Lastly switch the sensors out. Swap the sunroom for the kitchen to see if that has any affect.

Who knows. Maybe my hypothesis is completely off but mine seems to be working well now.

1 Like

Hi there,

Anyone having issues with this device handler lately?
My motion sensors keep reporting as offline, but the motion does get detected.

Thanks,
Florin

@ClassicGOD your DTH is working great with my fibaro sensors so congrats and thank you so much for your contribution to the community. I would like to ask you if you have any idea about how can I get this sensors working without problems with my two little dogs ? I have adjusted the sensibility to 20 but still receive sensor alerts with them. any thoughts ? Thanks !!

Hi,
Im having an issue with the sensitivity. Please correct me if Im wrong on this but my understanding is that 1= Lowest sensitivity and 255 is the highest. Does this control the distance that it picks up from or only the size of the object.

Currently I almost have to be on top of the sensor before it activates, Ideally I want it to be able to pick you up from about 5m away

Thank you for making this device handler and including the link to the manual. I’ve just changed my parameters and am waiting for everything to sync. I too am looking for maximum range and sensitivity on the motion detector and hope I have the parameters set correctly for this.

Any advice on force sync?
I am pushing the B button and its doing nothing. Also, tried to press 3 times, nothing…

A little confused?

Thanks,
Nick

Bumping this, I cant seem to get any (5 total) to sync?
Have tried leaving them in the same room as the hub too.

Any thoughts?
Nick

I also constantly have problems with it syncing… I get a lot of errors around the LUX, just stops reporting too.

I have worked out that when it comes to the sensitivity, the lower the setting the more sensitive. 5 will be set off by a cat, while 8 seems to roughly be what you need to avoid a small dog/cat.
I cant seem to find anything around distance though, and at this point im not entirely sure there is a setting for distance, only really the size of an object.

For some reason my device has disappeared from the app, it shows in the IDE and still functions as far as reporting and firing pistons in WebCore, any thoughts on why it’s gone?

1 Like

@ClassicGOD I was using your awesome DTH for quite sometime now until recently when I was forced to change to Samsung login. Your DTH is broken since then. Can you take a look? Thanks.

Think it may help if you are a little more specific?

@ClassicGOD not sure the last time played with the sensors but when I now go to the Config page (ANDROID) I get an error Stating ‘Something went wrong We can’t load your screen right now’ [Rertry]. I have tried the older and also the improved version with the photo icon of the sensor. This is only on android, iOS is fine.

Thanks!

Sorry It looks like an issue with SmartThings parsing the option lists.
Same thing that killed many handlers some time ago but now affecting only android. It has to be fixed by SmartThings.

1 Like

Thanks!

Will open a ticket :slight_smile:

How can i change the default signal of the ZW5 in smartthings app to display lux value instead of tampered?

Hi There
I have just acquired a Fibaro Motion Sensor Gen5 because it can act as a Motion Sensor as well as an Illuminance sensor. Perfect.
I have utilised this excellent device handler.
Seems to be working fine functionality reporting motion detections and changes to LUX.
However I notice that the regular sync status is not completing. Any ideas why this is the case?

I am still encountering problems getting the device to SYNC
I have pressed the button internally and the device states that the Sync Status is Inprogress and then after a few seconds reports the SYNC is Incomplete

How can I get this to work?

Hi,

@ClassicGOD I am using your Fibaro DH for Door sensors, motion detectors and heat controllers and they work great. There iso question however. They IDE lists them as working in the cloud rather than locally. Is there a what to change that so that it is all locally processed?

I am experimenting with Hubitat because of the local processing however porting some of the drivers is proving tricky because of the lack of hubitat documentation.

Many thanks

Tim

Only Smartthings has control over this, by baking the DTHs into the firmware of the hub.

2 Likes

Great work on the device handler.

I wouldn’t recommend the sensor though. It gets stuck on motion and when it does work, it’s not as quick as the Samsung ones. I’m guessing that’s a local/cloud issue.