[RELEASE] Fibaro Dimmer 2 (FGD-212) - Advanced DTH (V2)

Hi All,

I am struggling with getting my fibaro dimmer 2 to control other lights through associations. I have my Fibaro wired up to my physical lights through switch one, i then also have my switch 2 wired up (I am using a double gang switch). I was hoping to control my smart bulbs in my lamps using the second switch.

As far as my understanding goes i can do this by putting my Light bulb ‘Network Device ID’ found on the SmartHub GUI into the Association group #4 for On/Off commands. However when entering these ID’s and toggling my switch nothing seems to happen. Any ideas? do i need to create a device handler or something?

Thanks in advance!

Ok I have figured out why it wasnt working. It only works with other zwave devices, my lamp bulbs are Zigbee. Is there a way around this without installing lots of different apps or usting IFTTT. Is there not a way for the second switch to act as a switch and just send an on off command to other devices?

Sadly no. you need a rules engine in the middle. I use Webcore for this to translate the S2 scene IDs into actions.

this doesn’t make sense to me, you can see specific scenes etc being comanded when you switch the light. Why cant a device handler be created so that the fibaro has essentially 2 switches, or two virtual switches. One responds to 11 as on and the other responds to 21 as on. Both switches have two differing scenes for each command?

What I don’t understand is that the fibaro is technically a switch. I can use the smart lighting app to turn my lamps with smart bulbs in on and off when I turn my switch on and off (which also turns my ceiling light on and off). Why can’t the controller be created so that it has two switches in one (which the fibraro essentially does) then you can use the lighting automation to look at this new second switch?

Congratulations on being a 12 year old in a 60 year olds body :ok_hand::roll_eyes:

I think you’re viewing this the wrong way. The Fibaro module has 2 switch inputs. S1 directly controls the module itself. S2 can be configured to control another Z-wave module through something called direct association, which is nothing to do with SmartThings. Both S1 and S2 can also be configured send a scene events to SmartThings. If you want to Have S2 control something other than another Z-wave module (in your case a zigbee module) you need something to use the scene event as a trigger for another action.

I do not believe SmartThings SmartLighting app can use a scene ID, but Webcore can. You would need to create a webcore piston to trigger your zigbee device based on the scene event coming from the Fibaro S2 input.

Something like this.

Hi Simon,

Many thanks for your very valuable input and the example of the piston. I will probably look into setting up webcore if the only method is an in-between software.

Many thanks!

Adding a second “switch” to the DTH is exactly what I did to control my LIFX lights, referenced in my post here

As it currently stands I’m back to using webcore because I’ve figured out how to trigger the lights directly using the LIFX API rather than via Smartthings, which is much faster, but hey ho. You live, you learn.

Happy to DM you the updated DTH if you like?

Hi Jymbob,

This is exactly what I am looking for would really appreciate if you could send me this.

Many thanks!!!

Do you think it would work for the Aeon nano dimmer aswell? I need to work out if it would work the same as the fibraro

I think the principle’s the same. I basically added a couple of ‘buttons’ and ‘press’ them on SceneActivation.

Anyhow, the code is here. I’m currently using it with a toggle switch so it uses Scene ID 20 and 21 https://gist.github.com/jymbob/645987710c2914133fb5953d3d2be468

It works, but it’s rough and ready.

In Smart Lighting, you want to change on button push, and select button 1 for ‘on’ and button 2 for ‘off’

Edit to mention @Louie_ODonoghue - here you go!

@jymbob - it worked perfectly thank you so much for that device handler. I really appreciate it, great to have someone so friendly and helpful in the community.

@anon36505037 - looks like my microwave can take me to the moon… if you have the know how :wink:

I’m planning on using push buttons one for the load and one for another light. Is this already in the DH or do I need to alter the capabilitys?

It’s not in there at the moment, you’d need to add another case somewhere around line 580 looking for the right Scene ID (26, I believe) to trigger a button “push”

@anon36505037 granted the lag is annoying (I removed some of it by using my own LIFX UDP server, so only one cloud call), but until I’m able to install my ESP8266-based switches everywhere, it’s the best I can manage :wink:

@anon36505037 can you only use the 2nd input from a scene recall and if so how do we expose/ use that in WC?

i use this method and it works well.

not sure i understand. Does this piston essentially create the possible inputs by logging them, which you can then use in other pistons?

o OK are the case’s the scenes IDs

Hello,

I am trying to setup a recently purchased FGD-212 using this device handler (I’ve also tried others), but I do not manage to pair it with the ST.

I already have one that was purchased last year and that is working just fine with this DTH. However, impossible to get the new one paired.

All the connections and calibrations are okay (the light is responding just find using the switch), but whenever I am trying to add a thing on the ST app (classic), it goes in an infinite loop. I checked the events of the ST and observed the following:

The line “Fibaro Dimmer 2 rejoined” let me think that the device was detected by ST, but it keeps not showing up in the app. I have tried to exclude it, then set it up again: no luck. I’ve tried to factory-reset it: no luck.

Does any one have a clue on why it behaves like that? :frowning_face:

Thanks in advance for your help!
N.

Edit: I just compared the fingerprint broadcasted by the device with the one registered in the device handler: they match.