[RELEASE] Fibaro Dimmer 2 (FGD-212) - Advanced DTH (V2)

I was just about to post the exact same error. I have three FGD-212s that have worked fine for the last year. I’m trying to add two new ones but am seeing the same error as you. I’m also seeing the following 2 errors in live logging;

f5958be3-8063-4528-99fe-a7860d153881  2:29:58 PM: warn Exception 'java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method parse() on null object' encountered parsing 'cmd: 5E02, payload: 01 05 00 06 00 06 00'

269dc299-9aaa-401a-b3ab-99f739703b38  2:30:32 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method and() on null object @line 481 (dimmerEvent)

@zcapr17 are you still maintaining this device handler?

OK. Staggeringly I have managed to pair both my dimmers. I was fiddling with the device handler (I have no real clue but one has to fiddle with things :slight_smile:) , I changed the fingerprints to see if I could get SmartThings to pick up the dimmer with a default handler. This didn’t work so I put it back as it was. The only real change therefore was that I saved and republished the device handler. I also reset the dimmer (press B till yellow, release and repress) then waited about 5 mins before attempting to pair (put app in discover mode, press B 3 times). Both dimmers appeared within about 5 seconds and saved OK. This was on a test rig so I’m now off to see if they work in situ. Happy. Much. :smiley:

I also managed to get them to pair with ST. What I did with the 2 FGS-212 was:

1. Power one of them and reset it (yellow LED)
  2. Open the Z-Wave utilities on the ST app
  3. Go to the Global exclude section
  4. Exclude the FGD-212 3 times (each time, another deviceId was found and then removed)
  5. Repeat with second FGD-212
  6. Start all over the pairing process.

And they magically appeared :slight_smile:

This thread saved me - even if I don’t know how. I was having exactly the same issue as others above.

Kept excluding my module, resetting it, even purchased a new one only for it to have the same issues. I even purchased a long Ethernet cable to drag into my loft(where this module was being installed as there was no space behind the back box) all to no avail.

I read here about changing the fingerprint in the DH as a way to fool ST into using an alternate device handler and it detected it straight away. I added a random letter into the beginning of the ‘type’ and then removed it after detection.

I don’t entirely know if that was what fixed it but seemed like a correlation to me.

Hi,

I thought I’d add some notes here about pairing these modules. I’ve got quite a few of these (32 of them) and TBH I’ve found them a struggle.
I’m not completely there yet (even after having them in for 18 months) - some are slow to respond, and at some times they are all slow to respond - I clearly have more trouble shooting to do.
One thing I did get further with just last night though is pairing them in the first place.
I’m sure lots of people here know this, but I only realised last night that in addition to the logs within the IDE, there is also a page listing Hub events (My Hub > scroll down, “list events”).
When you initiate pairing via the app, the log shows that it’s looking, but only the events (which do not have log lines as far as I can see (maybe you can change the logging level somewhere?) shows that the hub has found the dimmer.
I find that, at the moment at least, the device does not show up in the “Add a thing” page on the mobile app, even though it is actually found.
Through the IDE, you can see that it’s been found, edit it’s name etc etc etc.
The same is true of excluding devices.
Now what I need to do is find a way of understanding whether any of my Z wave devices are not “securely paired” (see post 266) without actually re-pairing them all (some are in the wall without a switch).
It seems odd that they can pair without being secure. I will admit to pairing them in situ, without moving the hub closer.

Hi there zcapr17 codersaur and everyone else i see Fibaro have agreed a deal with ST and now the Fibaro Dimmer 2 and other Fibaro devices and can be conected without custom DH is this good news? or are there DH not as good as the custom DH and can we use the old custom and the new default DH at the same time?
Cheers Juls

Since the new hub firmware update yesterday, using a Fibaro Motion sensor and Fibaro Dimmer 2 with the official locally running DH’s, and using a Smart Lighting rule, the speed is noticeably faster, pretty much instantaneous now. My advice would be to set your Fibaro Dimmer 2 up with the @zcapr17 DH, then change to the official one.

1 Like

Brilliant thanks for the advise [Alwas] and [deleted] i will give it a go i also have a load of Fibaro Double Switch 2 FGS-223 attached to Hue bulbs is there a way to program it so i can control them correctly and leave the power to them ?
Thanks all Cheers Juls

Great work Robin!

Any gotchas with regard to configuration? One of my beefs with the new local handler is the it refuses to run a calibration and the logging is rubbish.

Hi

I have the dimmers working with smartthings but find their on / off status does not update. Has anyone had this issue?

Not had a status update issue.

@anon36505037 The modded (line 33 hack) DTH stopped working for me so I switched to the generic one and now the settings are now updating correctly and logging. Hub firmware is the same so something must have changed on the backend in the last week or so.

No worries. I only changed a couple myself, It was great while it lasted.:smirk:

PC Crashed so not sure you got the first message, i have the same issue and wondered if you have managed to resolve this issue
regards
Jon

Thanks for this DH Robin, it solved my problem with an LED bar light in 5 minutes flat. The official Fibaro DH just wasn’t exposing the parameters I needed. I’m also new to Smartthings - as its only just arrived in Aus/NZ (would you believe?). Loving it. Hope to begin contributeing in a meaningful way as soon as I am able.

i have many fibaro dimmer 2 but the i have problem to sync the settings on last 2 that just install
my data is

• manufacturerId: 010F
  • productId: 1000
  • zWaveLibraryType: 03
  • networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_FAILED
  • applicationVersion: 3
  • zWaveProtocolVersion: 4
  • productTypeId: 0102
  • applicationSubVersion: 5
  • manufacturerName: Fibargroup
  • firmwareId: 0112
  • firmwareChecksum: 127A
  • zWaveProtocolSubVersion: 24

i have hub v2
dth from codersaur

please any help

Thanks for quick reply when found the hardware give directly the codersaur I change the dth from api. SmartThings page to stock fibaro Dimmer 2 but same does not sync the settings so does not even turn on or turn off by app maybe I must try to delete the custom device handler and re pair the Dimmer

i conntact with smarthings and told me that is firmware problem… last week fixed so everything is fine now thank you

1 Like

How come i don´t get any of thoose fancy icons when i install a device handler?
I never get any icons.

hi everyone, I’m looking for a way to use S2 on fibaro dimmer 2 as button for other automation in webcore (like S2 on fibaro single switch). Would this device handler enable that? Any tips welcome.

So yes, and if you click the link at the top of this thread (like 2.5k people), you’ll see further confirmation.

Scene Tile:

“If parameter #28 (Scene Activation) has been enabled, then the Fibaro Dimmer 2 will send SCENE_ACTIVATION_SET commands to the SmartThings hub. This tile will indicate the ID of the last-activated scene.”