[RELEASE] Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40 v1/v2/v3) Device Handler with Temperature, Humidity, Motion and Luminescence Sensor with Lux Reporting

How do you hardwire them? that sounds cool

Cut the end off of the power adapter below. Plus to Plus, Negative to Negative and wire in parallel for multiple sensors

2 Likes

If you’re customizing it, only use one attribute like motion, not multiple. ST has an issue with the latest version if you add more than it tends to get stuck,

main “motion”

I tried the following with both your zooz and your wapier custom DTH.

main(["motion", "temperature"])

main"motion"

main("motion")

Each time I have the same results. I have used a couple other custom DTHs, and they don’t have the same issue. My issue is the same as previously reported by @rontalley in April. He was also unable to get it to work, and ended up just using a different DTH. I’ve looked the other DTH and they one has multiple items, and the other just has one for “main”, both work. Of course, both of the other DTH, were written to have Motion as the default, the rest of the code may have checks to make sure it updates correctly.

its not the end of the world, the other DTH is working well, just wanted to pass this on for you in case other asked for this in the future. I’m using a "Monoprice 4 in 1 Sensor (15902)"
thanks

1 Like

Okay. We’re going to release a separate DH for the Monoprice device
shortly. This one should only be used for ZooZ for now.

1 Like

Thanks for that! I am new to all this and am having trouble figuring out how to enable your code on the monoprice version. Can you please point me to instructions on how to get it to work on my phone? I installed it already with the monoprice setup, but I assume I need to back that out and start over. Many thanks!!
Ray

no need to start over. Create a new device handler for now using this

Then go into the device and change the device type to use the new handler.

You can use the same instructions on our website, just that Monoprice has a few different features because of which we will be releasing a new DH shortly. Meanwhile if you’re facing any issue please feel free to email our support team.

Happy to have testers, I’ll send you a PM.

Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40) Device Type - Version 02.02.05

• Fixed an issue where changing the default summary view to motion would not reflect the correct motion state

Enhanced features:

• Ability for users to choose between reporting Light as Lux or % in settings
  • Support for ZSE40 v1/v2 and Monoprice 15902 devices
  • Support for Mode 4, LED Flash only for Motion (none on Temperature change)
  • Support for Humidity correction offset
  • Reporting Tamper Alerts to ST platform
  • Custom wake up time for ZSE40 v1/v2 devices
  • Automatic switching between F and C

See the first post for a complete list of features.

Thanks to @ptdalen for pointing out the issue. This was a bug caused by the ST mobile app 2.4 release. @rayfrigo @rontalley, update to this version and it should solve your issues.

If you want to change the default summary view you can choose one of 4 options by changing the the following line

main([“temperature”, “motion”, “humidity”, “summary”])

The default is temperature but you can select any of the 4 and move it to the first position in the list. E.g. if you want motion to show in the summary things view, then it should look like:

main([“motion”, “temperature”, “humidity”, “summary”])

2 Likes

I’ve been using this DH with the Monoprice device for a few weeks and had some observations I wanted to share.

First, it is located nestled between the ceiling and wall above the entry door to my bathroom. I have a Lutron caseta dimmer switch for the lights and a GE z wave switch for the bathroom exhaust fan. Part one is I use the humidity sensor to turn on and off the exhaust fan automatically (though I feel like I need to have a second one for manual usage and auto shut off after x minutes).

Part two is for a night light. At first I had setup the sensor to use it’s light monitor and if it sensed motion while under a certain light level to kick on… that didn’t work very well as the light sensor is erratic. During daylight hours (there are two windows in the bathrooms which shades always closed but enough ambient light) it would still read a 0 or 1 lux. It would kick up when the lights went on but may not kick down for awhile (or ever it seems sometimes).

So I just went to if ST mode is night and there is motion then have a night light on for 1 minute or as long as the motion stays on. I have motion sensitivity to 1. The problem is that sometimes it takes quite a few seconds to sense motion. And the battery is already at 70% and I’ve only had the thing for a month. I don’t know if that is just the nature of a battery operated sensor or (as mentioned above) the need for a monoprice specific DH. Just thought I’d mention it.

Perhaps I should have gone for the Aotec sensor for a bit more and plugged it in. My concern is hiding the wires (possible though) and if I lower the sensor a few feet from the ceiling (to hide the wires) will the humidity sensor still kick the fan on quick enough and stay on long enough. I’m going to do a similar setup in a spare bath (I installed the exhaust recently because the jerks didn’t put them in the two full baths since they had windows) soon so I could just move this sensor into there were hiding wires, and thus going wired, may not be an option.

At the very least it works pretty well so thanks RBoy!

1 Like

We have both the ZooZ and Monoprice devices, there aren’t significant differences between. There are a few minor differences because of which we will be releasing a separate DH for monoprice, those are mostly to do with configuration.

Each of the sensors (temperature, humidity, light) have a sensitivity threshold which can be customized to determine when to report. Having said that the devices won’t report changes continuously otherwise the battery life will drastically be impacted.

Lowering the sensor usually help with motion detection, a sensor too high we’ve noticed tends to reduce motion sensitivity on the floor. Do you’ll have to see at what level you’re trying to detect motion and the range you’re looking at. Higher means it’ll give a wider coverage, lower means it’ll be more sensitive towards the floor.

Couple of things to note here:

1. These units use alkaline batteries and they tend to have a lower voltage than Lithium batteries hence the battery % tends to show lower. I’ve seen it go from 100% to 90% in a day due to the voltage issues but overall these units function all the way down to 15% or lower. So from 70% to 15% should be a another 3-9 months. Rechargeable batteries should not be used as the voltage curve isn’t high enough and the voltage is too low. Best would be to use 1.5v Lithium batteries (non rechargeable).
  2. Whether it’s 3 or 9 months depends up on your settings and usage. If you set the sensitivity of humidify, temperature, motion and light very high the battery will drain quickly because you’re essentially asking the sensor to pretty much continuously send updates. What I would recommend is to identify how sensitive do you need each sensor and then set the sensitivity accordingly. E.g. For Humidity you want to know if there a 5% or 10% change, where as for light you only care about dark or light so set that at 50%, for temperature you don’t care so set it to the least sensitive, for motion similarly set the timeout and sensitivity. Optimizing this can make a HUGE difference in your battery life
  3. Finally set the LED to off or some low settings. Do NOT use the pulsing/breathing mode as it’ll drain your battery

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Check our these 1.5v lithium batteries on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ultimate-Lithium-Size-Batteries/dp/B01E7UJ16M/

I believe I used some standard Duracell batteries. Nothing special. That isn’t the concern yet. I’m sure I monkeyed with it more the first week in setup/testing than I would have normally.

Turned off the LED right away and the device is mounted at an angle (45 degrees I think) between the ceiling and wall right over the door. It’s just that it’s not consistent in how fast things turn on. Maybe I should mount it on the ceiling… though then it may shut off more while on the toilet across the room. :wink: I customized all the sensitivity levels. Motion 1 sensitivity 1 timeout. Temperature was 1 now it’s 5 since I’m not using it. Light was 5 now 50 since I’m not using it. Humidity is at 1 so it will shut off when I need it to but perhaps that needs tweaking.

Thanks!

You asked and we heard. The beauty of this device is ability to monitor 4 different sensors in a single device. The limitation is SmartThings is that you needed to modify the code to select which sensor you wanted to see on your main Things summary page. We’ve now provided you with an easy way to solve your problem, no messing around with the code.

Just open the device Configuration page (gear icon) and select what sensor you want displayed on the Things page and viola! Enjoy!

Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40) Device Type - Version 02.03.00

• Added the ability for user to select the default/primary sensor to show in the ‘Things’ view in the settings page

Enhanced features:

• Ability for users to choose between reporting Light as Lux or % in settings
  • Support for ZSE40 v1/v2 and Monoprice 15902 devices
  • Support for Mode 4, LED Flash only for Motion (none on Temperature change)
  • Support for Humidity correction offset
  • Reporting Tamper Alerts to ST platform
  • Custom wake up time for ZSE40 v1/v2 devices
  • Automatic switching between F and C
  • Ability to select Primary Sensor to show in the ‘Things’ view

See the first post for a complete list of features.

1 Like

Quick question: Did you create battery eliminators or just wire directly to the wire leads? If the later, how did you do it?

A little soilder directly to leads. Twist and wire nut parallel connections.

OK thanks. Sounds easy enough!

1 Like

I’ve completed the soldering (only one unit). Works great. Thanks!

1 Like

No more dead batts for you! I wish I could do all of my sensors but these were literally the worse at eating up batteries so I am happy as well.

I got this one unit for father’s day and was using it only for LUX readings to control a number of lights both inside the house and outside. I set sensitivity parameters on everything else so that there was the least amount of activity and battery drain. In spite of that, Since June 20th, I 've gone through 2 pairs of AAA’s! That’s just nuts!

Quick question again. My ‘battery’ reading with the power supply connected, is 90%. I would have thought it’d be 100% all the time now. Are yours like that?

1 Like