[RELEASE] Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40 v1/v2/v3) Device Handler with Temperature, Humidity, Motion and Luminescence Sensor with Lux Reporting

I really like the 4 in 1s, outside of the slow motion detection and battery life. I had these things all over the place but unfortunately had to use other sensors for motion. I also had to hardwire them but that is a positive in my book.

The 4 in 1s have been instrumental in the deduction of my HVAC cost as they have been perfect for controlling humidity!

Think I might pick up a couple of the new models for testing. I can see these being my “goto” recommended sensors if all pans out.

1 Like

Hi @rontalley, if you’re still debating, we issued a 10% discount code for the new version.

Click here to shop and enter ZSE40ST at check-out to claim the discount.

Happy Holidays!

3 Likes

@TheSmartestHouse I bought a ZSE40 from Amazon a week back (Sold by The Smartest House and Fulfilled by Amazon). How do I know if I got v1 or v2? Thanks!

Question: what sensitivity setting should I use with 55lb dogs for nation detection?

If you just bought it recently, then it’s the latest version. The previous one was sold out for a couple of months before this one was released so all the inventory on Amazon is from the latest production batch.

Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40) Device Type - Version 02.04.00

• Added support for new v3 sensor
  • UNIQUE: Future proof automatic discovery/configuration of new firmware settings
  • UNIQUE: Synchronized no motion timeout for v3 sensors with v2 sensors (from 15 seconds to 255 minutes)

Enhanced features:

• Ability for users to choose between reporting Light as Lux or % in settings
  • Support for ZSE40 v1/v2 and Monoprice 15902 devices
  • Support for Mode 4, LED Flash only for Motion (none on Temperature change)
  • Support for Humidity correction offset
  • Reporting Tamper Alerts to ST platform
  • Custom wake up time for ZSE40 v1/v2 devices
  • Automatic switching between F and C
  • Ability to select Primary Sensor to show in the ‘Things’ view
  • No motion timeout from 15 seconds to 255 minutes for v3 sensors

See the first post for a complete list of features.

3 Likes

With the latest update and my v2 sensor…the motion timeout is in minutes not seconds. And the minimum I can set is 15… tested it by trying different settings and it’s definitely in minutes. Couldn’t figure out why my lights were staying on in the basement…

With the latest update the no motion timeout value has changed from minutes to seconds. So you’re entering the value in seconds now. If you want it to turn off after 3 minutes then you would enter 180.

@RBoy
I don’t use the motion sensor part of this device very much so my experience is not conclusive. However, I did also notice that after the latest update, there was a much longer time for the motion inactivity to register. It was easily minutes. I looked at the settings and saw that it said to enter the inactivity timeout setting in seconds with a minimum of 15, so I set it to 15. However, it was still taking more than 5 minutes. So, I removed the setting completely - (I.e., left it blank) and it got shorter - to maybe 2-3 minutes(?). Again I don’t use the motion sensor portion so I haven’t done precise tests. But I’ve done enough to think that I’m not sure the inactivity timeout is working properly.

1 Like

I’m 100% sure that the value I have in there now is 15. I’m also 100% sure that motion times out 15 MINUTES after there is no motion. I’m also 100% sure that my previous value was 120 and that motion would stay active for 2 hours after there was no motion. I’m going to use the other persons suggestion of deleting the value and seeing what it drops to.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this, tracked it down, the DH incorrectly identified the old v1/v2 devices as a v3 device. We’ll patch it up.

2 Likes

Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40) Device Type - Version 02.04.01

• Updated layout to show battery % or tamper alerts (when present) automatically in the main tile
  • Temperature correction values can be entered in decimal points (+ve or -ve)
  • Fix identification of device firmware and no motion timeout

Enhanced features:

• UNIQUE: Future proof automatic discovery/configuration of new firmware settings
  • UNIQUE: Synchronized no motion timeout for v3 sensors with v2 sensors (from 15 seconds to 255 minutes)
  • Ability for users to choose between reporting Light as Lux or % in settings
  • Support for ZSE40 v1/v2 and new v3 sensor firmware
  • Support for Mode 4, LED Flash only for Motion (none on Temperature change)
  • Support for Humidity correction offset
  • Reporting Tamper Alerts to ST platform
  • Custom wake up time
  • Automatic switching between F and C
  • Ability to select Primary Sensor to show in the ‘Things’ view

See the first post for a complete list of features.

Just added this device, but it doesn’t show humidity or lux in the app. Any ideas?

1. Press the Z-Wave button in the pin hole at the bottom of the device, it should flash (this is a forced update)
  2. If it still doesn’t update you should exclude the device, follow the reset instructions, reboot the hub and then pair it again within about 5ft of the hub

Is there a way to manually clear the tamper alert? Just set up a new unit and it shows tamper alert active. Don’t feel like climbing up to the sensor and opening and closing the casing :slight_smile:

To preserve integrity only the device (or an app) can set and reset the tamper flag.
If you’re an expert with CoRE or Webcore you can select the device and send a custom event to clear the tamper state.

Must not be enough of a webcore expert. The only command I see available is configure

Hi, I would like to use this sensor to control my shades. However, it is a cloudy day and not very bright out, but its reporting light as 100% (or 5000 lux)… it seems to be maxed out even though it’s not bright.

Is there a way to change the upper limit to what this sensor detects? Thanks

This sensor is very sensitive to light and saturates quickly beyond a few hundred lux and will report a 100%, it’s a hardware limitation.

What you can do is use the Weather station with your zipcode as a quick estimate to find out when it’s really bright out, it’s not perfect but a quick way to assess the weather outside. Otherwise you’ll have to look at sensors which can handle a bigger range of lux inputs.

1 Like

Thanks.

Any recommendations on other lux sensors that would work that will not saturate at such low light levels?

What can I use this sensor for? I had intended to use it to control my blinds.