[RELEASE] Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40 v1/v2/v3) Device Handler with Temperature, Humidity, Motion and Luminescence Sensor with Lux Reporting

This Device Handler is for the ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40) with Temperature, Motion, Luminescence and Humidity sensor. There are a few versions of this floating around the forum, we’ve written this handler from ground up on request from a few folks since the existing ones had some issues.

The device can be bought from Amazon for about $37 (prime) here

It can also be bought from TheSmartestHouse

IMG_7133 IMG_7134 IMG_7130 IMG_7132

Classic App

Key features of his device handler include:

1. Reading the following sensors
    • Temperature
    • Humidity
    • Light
    • Motion
    • Battery
  2. Ability to select the primary sensor to show in the ‘Things’ page (Temperature, Motion, Humidity or Light)
  3. Ability to configure the following parameters:
    • Motion timeout
    • Temperature sensitivity
    • Temperature correction (offset)
    • Motion sensitivity
    • Light sensitivity
    • Humidity sensitivity
    • LED configuration
      h. Ability to configure a polling schedule to get sensor updates
  4. It automatically sets the temperature units (F/C) on the device based on your hub configuration
  5. Option to choose been reporting light as Lux or ‘%’
  6. Support for v1 and v2 hub fingerprinting for easy identification
  7. Ability to request a manual update for the sensors and configuration (this is a delayed update at the next wake up)
  8. Easy to use configuration page with detailed explanations for all the parameters
  9. Future proof - new firmware ready and with unified parameter values across firmwares
  10. Reporting device tampering to SmartThings (as a tamper device capability)

Ideally install the Device Handler BEFORE pairing the device for easy setup.

NOTE:

• After the configuration/preferences are updated, for the settings to take effect immediate, press the Z-Wave button with a pin (tiny hole at the bottom of of the sensor)
  • To request the manual update, please press the “Request Update” button, however this is a DELAYED update. The motion sensor is mostly in sleep mode to preserve battery. The next time it wakes up (every 4 hours or as configured), if the user had requested a manual update, it will fetch the latest sensor status, battery and also update the configuration.
  • To force an immediate update for all configured settings, press the “Request Update” button and then press the Z-Wave button with a pin (tiny hole at the bottom of of the sensor). This forces the motion sensor to wake up and process the manual update request.
  • To force a sensor/battery status update just press the Z-Wave button with a pin (tiny hole at the bottom of of the sensor)

Optimizing Battery Life

1. These units use alkaline batteries by default and which tend to have a lower voltage than Lithium batteries hence the battery % tends to drop faster initially. It’s normal for the battery to go from 100% to 90% in a day due to the voltage discharge curve of alkaline batteries. These units function all the way down to 15% or lower. Overall battery life from 100% to 15% should be between 3-9 months with standard Alkaline batteries. Rechargeable batteries should not be used as the voltage isn’t high enough and the voltage curve drops very quickly. Best would be to use 1.5v Lithium batteries (non rechargeable) which can double or triple the life before you need to replace batteries and provide a more stable voltage discharge curves.
  2. Whether the life is 3 or 9 months depends up on your settings and usage. If you set the sensitivity of humidity, temperature, motion and light very high the battery will drain quickly because you’re essentially asking the sensor to pretty much continuously send updates. What I would recommend is to identify how sensitive do you need each sensor and then set the sensitivity accordingly. E.g. For Humidity you want to know if there a 5% or 10% change, where as for light you only care about dark or light so set that at 50%, for temperature you don’t care so set it to the least sensitive, for motion similarly set the timeout and sensitivity. Optimizing this can make a HUGE difference in your battery life
  3. Finally set the LED mode to Off or some Low setting. Do NOT use the pulsing/breathing mode as it’ll drain your battery

Low Battery: If your battery below 20% consider replacing it. The device may stop sending updates if the battery falls below this level. So you won’t know if you battery has run out, the motion/no motion sensors / temperature sensor may get stuck as well and you may receive no updates.

More features to added, if you have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to ask and we’ll try to add it.

INCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: It is recommended to install the Device Handler BEFORE paring the device for easier setup. To pair the device, Select Add New Device from the MarketPlace on your ST phone app. Then press and release the Z-Wave button with a pin (tiny hole at the bottom of of the sensor) TWICE quickly

EXCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: If you deleted the device without excluding it won’t pair up again until you exclude it.

1. Set the hub into exclude mode (log into the IDE → My Hub → View Utilities → Z-Wave Exclude.
  2. Press and release the Z-Wave button with a pin (tiny hole at the bottom of of the sensor) TWICE quickly

FACTORY RESET: Remove the cover and press and release the Z-Wave button with a pin (tiny hole at the bottom of of the sensor) 10 times within 10 seconds.

Check out these other SmartApps

[RELEASE] Door Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors

[RELEASE] Security System: Intruder Alert with Actions

This device type handler is available on the RBoy Apps Server. Refer to our website or facebook page below to get access to the server.

If you like the Apps consider supporting our development efforts. Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps and to get Access to ALL our Premium Apps and Server. RBOY APPS SmartThings - Make your Home your Butler

9 Likes

###Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40) Device Type - Version 2.0.0

• Public release with Temperature, Motion, Humidity, Light and Battery levels
  • Ability to configure Motion timeout, Temperature sensitivity, Temperature correction, Motion sensitivity, Light sensitivity, Humidity sensitivity, LED configuration
  • Ability to set a manual polling interval for sensor updates
  • ST MultiAttributeTile optimized layout
  • v1 and v2 hub fingerprints

###Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40) Device Type - Version 2.0.1

• Added a battery icon to make the UI look cleaner

###Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40) Device Type - Version 2.0.2

• Fixed v2 hub fingerprint, now it should identify the device correctly when paired
  • Improved pairing routine and initial configuration

Updated to latest DH but still getting an error and no updated icons etc. Android. Any ideas?

It’s a known issue with the ST Android app, it doesn’t show icons. Please report it to ST support so they can fix it.
The page error is also an ST platform issue, probably running slow or timing out. Try after a while, it’s working fine here.

1 Like

Ok. I figured I messed something up…

No not you, thats ST :slight_smile:

Yeah, I cant get into preferences at all with the DH. “Error Refreshing Page”…

Unable to set preferences with the Enhanced Device Handler for Zooz 4 in 1. " Error Refreshing Page" Tried multiple times.

There is a bug in the ST Android phone app, when the DH asks the use to enter a decimal number with a range it throws an error. Please report it to ST Support so they can prioritize fixing it.

Meanwhile try this simple workaround, in line 34, remove this (starting from the ,)

, range: “0.1…5.0”

And made sure you don’t enter any values less than 0.1 or greater than 5.0 for the temperature sensitivity.

###Enhanced ZooZ 4 in 1 Sensor (ZSE40) Device Type - Version 2.0.3

• Provided a workaround for a bug in ST Android app which would prevent the device preferences page from opening (make sure you enter the device temperature reporting threshold a value between 0.1 and 5.0 only as the workaround will disable this check)
1 Like

Thanks! Work around did the trick. I appreciate your responsiveness.

1 Like

Interested in this sensor.

I want to be able to control shades to lower when the sun hits the windows. How has the light sensitivity worked so far?

I use a timer now but that all changes as the season changes.

Also, can you disable the other sensors as need be?

Thanks

So couple of things, do you want it when it sunny outside or just when it hits your window. If you want sunny you can just use a weather station tile to give you sunlight details although it won’t be accurate.

It’s very sensitive to light so it would depend upon what it would report for ambient lighting vs sunlight. The reporting threshold can be configured so while you can’t disable the other sensors you can definitely reduce how often of when it reports them to save battery.

Just saw this… sorry about the delay in the response.

I would want to monitor the window for the direct sunlight when it hit during the summer months so it can lower the shade.

Thanks

Okay I would set the reporting threshold to 50% and then change the angle of the sensor so less lights hits it. It’s very sensitive to light.

So you would recommend these sensors?

We’ve done some benchmarking on the ZooZ v/s the Monoprice v/s Ecolink.

Temperature: What we’ve found is that the ZooZ ZSE40 is more accurate than the Monoprice when it comes to temperature sensitivity and reporting thresholds.
Motion Sensitivity: The EcoLink sensor is the fastest responding motion sensor with a specialized Pet mode that is unique (special design). The Monoprice has a good motion sensor that is semi configurable through a jumper (see our Monoprice Sensor page) and has great battery life. The ZooZ ZSE40 has a highly configurable motion sensor but it’s response time is similar to the Monoprice sensor. The motion sensor range is also comparable to the Monoprice.
Humidity: The humidity sensor is sensitive and again highly configurable, it’s reasonably accurate.
Light Sensitivity: The light sensor is very sensitive in the ZooZ ZSE40, I don’t think it would be very useful in direct sunlight but in room pointing inwards into the room it can be very helpful in determining the light levels and again it’s highly configurable in terms of reporting thresholds.

One significant difference between the Monoprice and ZooZ sensor is battery, the ZooZ comes with 2 regular AAA alkaline batteries where as the Monoprice come with a Lithium CR123A battery. The Lithium’s have a longer battery life. However you can replace the stock Alkaline batteries with the AAA Lithium Batteries, however apples to apples the ZooZ can last from 3 months to 6+ months on stock batteries where as the Monoprice last from 6 months to a year+ and Ecolink from a year+ depending upon usage. Do note however the battery life of the ZooZ would be highly dependent upon how often you configure it to report the various parameters (reporting threshold).

If you were to ask me that you only wanted a motion sensor, I’d probably pick the Ecolink, however if you’re looking at Motion and Temp sensor, it would be a toss up between the Monoprice (cheaper) and ZooZ ZSE40 (more configurable/flexible again depending upon use and accuracy). If you just want a reasonably accurate within 1-2 degrees of temp then Monoprice as it’s cheaper, if you want accuracy down to 0.1-0.2 degrees then the ZooZ. Great examples is I personally use the Monoprice to maintain temp in the common/kitchen rooms but I use ZooZ for the bedrooms where I need more fine grained control over the temp and other features as mentioned below.

However if you’re looking for Motion, Light, Temp and Humidity I don’t think you’ll find a better value for money product in the market today than the ZooZ ZSE40 and @TheSmartestHouse is be the place to buy it.

11 Likes

Thank you so much for such a detailed review!

I have yet to purchase one, hopefully soon!

1 Like