[RELEASE] Enhanced Z-Wave Plus Thermostat Device Handler - Honeywell, GoControl, CT, Linear, Trane, MCO, Remotec

Deadband and swing are two different concepts.

Swing is the maximum allowed difference between the current temperature and set temperature, i.e. The “allowance” (plus or minus) from the set temperature before the HVAC kicks in. So if you set the thermostat to 73 degrees cool and the swing is 0.5 degrees then it will kick only when the temperature exceeds 73.5 (and reverse for heat)

Deadband the “gap” between the heat and cool set points that the thermostat needs to maintain to avoid the HVAC constantly switching between heat and cool modes. Deadband only comes into play with “auto” thermostats. So the deadband is set to 1 degree the difference between the heat and cool setpoints is atleast one degree. So the heat is 70 and cool cannot be less than 71. This is to avoid “hunting” by the HVAC and also confusion with invalid setpoints like having cool less than heat (e.g. Cool 70 and heat 75)

I’m having issues with randomly loosing connection with my CT-100 Plus thermostats. I have 6. All software is up to date. Seemingly randomly I’m can’t control one or more of these thermostats remotely. I’ve tried repairing the z-wave network. Sometimes that works. I’ve excluded and re-installed them and that works for a time. But eventually I loose connection. I can manually adjust them but not remotely. This is worrisome as I am traveling and relying on these. I’ve seen some notes on this and other forms suggesting that there are some reliability issues with these thermostats. Can anyone comment and or offer any suggestions? Thanks.

I only have one CT-100 but I’ve had it for about a year I think and it never disconnects. With your description, I’d guess your issue is a communication issue due to distance from the nearest repeater or the hub. Mine is within 6-8 feet of (5) wired/powered zwave switches (repeaters) and about 10-12 feet from the hub. Adding a repeater(s) would likely help.

1 Like

Sounds like a weak mesh. Add repeaters between the thermostats and the hub.

Are you running the thermostats on the C Wire? If not then exclude the device before enabling the C Wire and then pair it so it acts like a repeater and if you have 6 then it should make for a good mesh when on C Wires.

Thanks. I did think of that. I do have all thermostats on c-wires in always listening mode. Checked in the IDE. Several of the ones that are working now would have a longer distance to another z-wave repeater. I also have at least 2 other powered z-wave devices. Leviton plug and switch. EDIT: also have Econet water valve and 2 ZXT-120 IR repeaters. In the IDE I can see the thermostat in the log when I watch for it. I can send a command via Smartthings app and I can see the right command being sent but no response or updates from thermostat.

Do you guys still think that it’s a mesh issue? If so is the solution to add more z-wave devices? I’m questioning the reliability of these thermostats. Unfortunately a more significant issue than a light not working. I am out of the country for another week and temps at home are hitting -12°C. Yikes.

@smartdoc For my 3m50 (CT50) I installed an updated Zwave USNAP module (FW 9.0) and pretty much all my problems are now fixed (old USNAP module is FW 7.4):

• Automatic date/time setting now works
  • Much more reliable communication to/from thermostat
  • Random other nearby zwave devices disconnecting aka zwave mesh crash issue (closest light switch would loose connection to ST hub and reconnect when thermostat was hard reset and reinstalled in ST hub)

https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Thermostat-Company-America-ZW-9-0/dp/B00KQS35Q2

2 Likes

Wanted to replace this part of the code as described in the OP but it’s not present in the built in zwave thermostat handler. Is this info outdated or am I missing something?
Also wanted to ask, is it possible to control the ct101 using google assistant /GH?
Thank you!

Also have one other question
If there handler for the CT101 that would be designed for Heat only? ( natural Gas fireplace)
Heat ON/OFF Setting temperature, Fan ON/OFF
Humidity, battery status and that’s about it

Thanks

Depends on your you’ve configured your CT101 DIP switches. It has physical switches on it that make it work differently, I believe you can set it to only have heat, in which case it won’t report cool as an option to ST and the device handler will automatically remove the cool option.

Thanks for reply RBoy, the only switches to set it up are gas/Electric and Heatpump/HVAC

HI, I purchased a subscription to use with my CT100 Thermostats a few days ago. I pasted the code as a new SmartApp, but it won’t install. I am getting the following error (I deleted the script_app_metadata and the closure1@ info since I don’t know if that info is about my SmartThings hub, and I didn’t want to make it public. If the numbers/letters are something that I can post, let me know and I’ll post the error in full).

No signature of method: script_app_metadata_DELETED NUMBERS & LETTERS.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script_app_metadata_DELETED NUMBERS & LETTERS$_run_closure1) values: [script_app_metadata_DELETED NUMBERS & LETTERS1$_run_closure1@DELETED NUMBERS & LETTERS] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

Thanks!

It’s a Device Handler and not a SmartApp (which is why you’re seeing the error)

Thanks for the quick response! I can’t believe that I missed that bit. It works great now. Thanks again!

1 Like

I installed a CT101 yesterday and it defaulted to the Enhanced Z-Wave Plus DTH because I had already had it installed. For some reason I had no control over anything on the thermostat from SmartThings until I changed it back to the default DTH. I’d like to have the extra humidity and battery level information provided by the Enhanced DTH, but obviously need control over the thermostat. Any ideas as to what could have been going on?

Probably a problem with the platform communication since the custom handler runs in the cloud. Delete and reinstall the DTH and then switch over.

Thanks. I’ll reinstall the device handler before I install the other 2 thermostats and see what happens.

I switched back to your device handler from the stock CT100 because I like the sliders more. What I am afraid of is that even in battery saver mode it’s going to ping the thermostats every 30 minutes. I’m running via battery power so it seems like that will drain them pretty quickly. Is there anything I can modify in the code to change that to hourly?

1 Like

I think you may be confusing how battery saver works. It “limits” the platform polling to once every 30 minutes. If the platform polls less frequently then it’s okay. This is to prevent a situation when the platform sometimes polls every few minutes.

Also keep in mind that the CT-XX devices are FliRS beaming devices. That means your device wakes up every second to listen for any incoming messages. So changing the limit from 30 minute to 60 min isn’t going to be significant for your battery life, but reducing it from 3-5 min to 30 min does give you about 10% more battery life.

It is always best to use the CT-XX with the C Wire for improved performance and to use it as a repeater. If you don’t have a C Wire you can use the Venstar Add-a-Wire type device to create a C Wire for your thermostat.

Thanks for the info. Whenever I need some HVAC work done I will probably have them hook up the C-Wires for me. Everything goes into a zone control board and I don’t want to make a mistake with the wiring. I have no clue why they didn’t just hook up the C-Wire in the first place, the wires are there (but cut back too far for me to easily pull through).

Hey @RBoy, thanks for the response. I’ve been floating around different platforms and one thing I did notice is that somehow VERA allows for a single setpoint when using auto and it just allows for +/-2 degrees of fuctuation from the specified setpoint in auto. Any idea if they are just doing logic to offset that input to the respective heating and cooling or is there actually a third setpoint (cool/heat/auto)?