[RELEASE] Enhanced Z-Wave Plus Thermostat Device Handler - Honeywell, GoControl, CT, Linear, Trane, MCO, Remotec

First, thank you. This thread has been immensely helpful. I have the CT80 and donā€™t need the battery portion but the humidity and clock set are awesome. Two questions:

1. The up/down arrows only allow a slow change, one degree at a time. Is this a ST thing or something that can be adjusted? I could go back to the slider I suppose but I like the arrows better.

2. My current mode state isnā€™t functioning properly. I switch to heat, refresh and it goes back to ā€œoffā€. Seems to be a problem with the base ST code. Plan to dig into it, but wondered if you guys knew how to correct.

Iā€™m not a coderā€¦ just trying to learnā€¦

Thanks!

1. No unfortunately it canā€™t run faster, thatā€™s the way it works. Slider works great for large changes, up/down for smaller changes.

2. I think your thermostat may not be responding to all the modes correctly. Check this piece of code and check what your thermostat returns as supported modes:

standardTile("mode", "device.thermostatMode", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat") {
		state "off", label:'${name}', action:"switchMode", nextState:"to_heat"
		state "heat", label:'${name}', action:"switchMode", nextState:"to_cool"
		state "cool", label:'${name}', action:"switchMode", nextState:"..."
		state "auto", label:'${name}', action:"switchMode", nextState:"..."
		state "emergencyHeat", label:'${name}', action:"switchMode", nextState:"..."
		state "to_heat", label: "heat", action:"switchMode", nextState:"to_cool"
		state "to_cool", label: "cool", action:"switchMode", nextState:"..."
		state "...", label: "...", action:"off", nextState:"off"
	}

The reason it canā€™t run faster has nothing to do with this code, but to do with the underlying device type code. The device type does a set followed by a get with a 1 second delay between to let the device the commands. This delay is what youā€™re seeing. If you used a custom device code and removed the delay, this delay will dissappear.
Itā€™ll be there irrespective of what type of inputs you use, slider or buttons

Thatā€™s what I assumed.

Thanks for posting! I followed RBOYā€™s steps and opted to leave the sliders in place instead of the up/down controls. I am able to display humidity and battery perfectly in the App for one of my ct100ā€™s. Looks like it auto-sets the clock as well (looking at the activity log).

On my other ct100, the clock auto-sets butā€¦ the humidity and battery tiles were each displaying a pair of hyphens ("ā€“"). The only difference I can see between the two ct100ā€™s are in the Device List. One shows Status as INACTIVE and the other shows as ACTIVE. The one showing Status as INACTIVE displays the pair of hyphens for battery and humidity. After closing the App and terminating it a couple times, the Humidity started to display correctly on the device that had appeared as INACTIVE. Checking the Device LIst, again, both ct100ā€™s now appear as ACTIVE.

Since Iā€™m mainly interested in Humidity, its not a big issue getting Battery to display correctly for the 2nd ct100, but am curious if Iā€™m missing something.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks again for posting the improved code!

I think it takes upto 24 hours to populate. Just refresh and wait :smile:

Did this ever make it to GIT?

no I donā€™t think it can, this code refers to modifying the base code from ST and not the whole code in itself, so putting on GIT wonā€™t help.

thank you for this, much better than the stock zwave controller by ST. such a simple code change, i wonder why they wont implement it themselves.

is there anyway to program these devices? i cannot find a program menu anywhere.

nevermind, looks like you have to use a smart app to manage program settings. this stuff is way too complicated for the average user lol.

Wow! Just a quick shout-out for this app and for the helpful thread too. (Quick side question, how often does it auto-set the thermostat clock, just once or every so often?)

Yesterday we installed my 2gig CT100 thermostat and successfully connected it to my ST ecosystem. This was thing #20, reaching a minor yet fun milestone - hooray! :wink:

The stock code seemed alright but I was curious about humidity and battery life, and so I went searching through the community to see what was out there. And here we are!

This morning I followed the directions posted above, worked my way through the code and made the changes (I chose to go all-in with the mods) and voila, it works like magic.

Just wanted to thank you again - this indeed is very helpful code, and the ability to see the battery life and the humidity is great (plus the better icons, and the up/down buttons).

Cheers and thanks,
Steve

Seasons greetings!

Cool - Iā€™m now on day two with the custom app, and I have a question about a potential mod or enhancement to it (or maybe it does this and Iā€™m not sure how to activate it).

What Iā€™d like to do is visually see if the fan blower is active or idle; I see the status in the logs so Iā€™m assuming itā€™s doable; perhaps a different color tile to indicate active vs. idle?

Any hints or suggestions? Iā€™d love to roll up my sleeves and try coding the ideaā€¦ just was looking for a nudge in the right direction and/or some guidance to get me started.

Thanks again!

Iā€™ve been trying to get this working properly but Iā€™m stuck. Everything seems to function properly other than the tiles updating. It may be a silly question but whatā€™s the best way to confirm what my stat supports as far as modes? Iā€™ve been trying to find it in documentation, no luck. Not sure if Iā€™m just looking in the wrong place or thereā€™s an easier way. Again, I have the Radio Thermostat CT80. Thanks.

Check the live logs and also the manual.

Fixed battery updates not working after new year on some thermostats

Just wanted to take a minute to thank all involved in this. I was struggling to find a thermostat without needing a C wire. I was excited once I found out I could use the Lowes brand. Would have been fine without humidity and battery levels but now realize how great it is.

Was easy to step thru the code, took me while since this was my first time, and it worked the first time.

Thanks for posting this idiot proof guide :smile:
Scott

1 Like

Mine seems to be working fine except if we manually set the desired temp on the thermostat itselfā€¦it does not reflect on the app. For example, if I set the temp to 72 on the app then later we bump it up to 73 from the thermostatā€¦it still shows 72 on the app. It shows the correct current temp itā€™s just that one that does not always sync up. Setting the temp on the app does show the change on the thermostat.

Anything I can try?

Thatā€™s correct, the device app doesnā€™t poll the device to the use set temp, the app only displays the last configured temperature. Interesting point, will see if it can be done.

One reason why it doesnā€™t do that is because it would reduce the battery life polling the thermostat each time. So the question is do you prefer battery life or poll back on the temp?

Yeahā€¦good point. Is it possible to poll it maybe every couple of hours. I guess it may not really matter once I get my schedule setup thru ST. Even if we manually change the temp on the thermostat, once the next schedule comes around it should sync everything up.

Donā€™t kill yourself over it :slight_smile: whatever you decide Iā€™ll be fine with.

Thanks again!

I checked and itā€™s actually working fine for me - no changes, when I change the temp on the thermostat in about 10 seconds it shows up on my app. Check the code base youā€™re using, Iā€™ve posted the code Iā€™m using on the server in my first post.