[RELEASE] Enhanced Z-Wave Garage Door Controller GD00Z-4/GD00Z-5/Linear/GoControl/Iris/Nortek Device Handler with Switch and Automated Garage Door Open/Close when People Arrive/Leave/Timer

Please add the Genie Aladdin support!!

1 Like

my garage door is showing that its unavailable.

checked my device handler and found out it was out dated so i updated it to - ver02.05.05

my IDE is showing that “hub is disconnected”?
garage

my ide log:
garage log

i tried a z-wave repair via the smartthings app. i was also thinking the tilt sensor maybe needed a new battery, so i replaced it also.

but the status is still showing “unavailble”. i can still close and open the garage door from my smartthings app but a bit flaky(?) - delayed response.

anything else i need to try @RBoy @maddie?

thanks in advance

Reboot the hub from the IDE. That should clear the HUB_DISCONNECTED status.

2 Likes

looks like this did the trick. thanks.

I made the final migration to the new app, but even before that I noticed an issue.

I had a smartthings button switch programmed to open and close the garage door via an automation in the new app (even before the “migration”) but it seems to have stopped functioning in regards to these automations. The button works, because I set up a notification when it is activated, but the garage door isn’t. The door is connected and works from the app. But, I noticed there are two items that seem to want to do that same thing. What is the difference between “door control and garage door control”?

Update: I should now clarify. The door does not work from the app. When triggered to open/close from the app, by either of the in app buttons, the garage door gives the warning beeps but then does nothing. So it is getting signal from the hub. Any thoughts @RBoy ?

1 Like

If you are getting the warning beeps, it means it is getting activated by the signal. If the door isn’t closing or opening, maybe the connection to the door aren’t working. Use a meter to see if you are getting anything when the beeping stops and it should be triggering the door.

Looks like I found the issue… https://community.smartthings.com/t/linear-garage-door-opener-stopped-working

@RBoy @maddie I’m wondering about this DTH as I’ve been having some issues when using the device in automations in the new app. I’m not having an issue with the door opener working from a hardware perspective - knock on wood.

In the old app, I see two different tiles - namely “Open” and “Close”. However, in the ST New App, there are two different tiles - namely “Door control” and “Garage Door Control”. Why the difference in the New App and which tile should I use in the New App? From what I can tell, only the “Garage Door Control” button does anything - it seems like the “Door Control” button just spins in a circle.

The weird part is that in Automations, I only have the option for the “Garage Door Control”:

But, every automation I have, whether run automatically or manually never triggers the door to close. FWIW, I also don’t see any logs being created in the IDE. I’m not sure whether this is some platform issue related to automations or devices that have open/close capabilities or are of the garage door type but all the other switch devices in the automations turn off as desired.

What can we do to debug this?

@RBoy What are your thoughts on this most recent post? I’m thinking about switching to this device handler, but if it has issues than I’d rather wait until they are fixed. There’s also been reports of the battery reporting on the tilt sensor not working properly.

There are no issues, it works perfectly with the new app. We’re working with ST to get custom UI’s working in the new app, until then this is just the default layout. It uses 2 separate capabilities to maintain compatibility with the new “Automations” and existing “SmartApps” because they use different capabilities, operationally they are exactly the same. You can use either one depending on whether it’s a SmartApp or an Automation. The UI will be cleaned up once ST gets the custom UI controls working.

In general avoid the “migrate” button in the Classic app as it messes up devices in your account. If it does get messed up (due to platform caching or it’s wires getting crossed internally), just exclude the device, delete the DTH and reinstall the DTH and pair the device again.

Tilt sensor is connected to the controller and not related to the DTH.

GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4/others Device Handler - Version 03.00.00

• (New) Updated to support the new ST app with a custom UI

NOTE: The UI changes may not reflect if you’re upgrading from an older version due to platform caching. One way to force the cache to clear is to change the device handler to a “Z-Wave Device” and then back to this device handler from the IDE, then sign out of the ST mobile app and sign back in. If nothing else works, you may need to exclude your device, delete the device handler and reinstall it if the UI does not update.

1 Like

I’ve updated but still see “Door Control” and “Garage Door Control”. Pressing the circle button from the device home screen also still does not open/close the door. I’ll give it 24 hours to see if anything changes. When I go into Device > Settings it reports that it is running on “Z-Wave Garage Door Opener Device Handler V03.00.00” but still looks like the old one. I really don’t want to have to exclude this device and re-add it to all of my automations :confused:

Edit: I did get it to function properly and display as shown above by updating the device with a different Device Handler (I chose Z-Wave Garage Door) and then updating again with this device handler. No exclusion necessary, sweet!

3 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I update the device with the Z-Wave Garage Door DH? Is that done through the app or in the IDE?

Not at all, you need do it from the IDE (very similar to how to you assign a DTH to a device that’s already paired).

• IDE -> My Devices -> < click on your garage door controller > -> Scroll down and click Edit -> Under Type * select Z-Wave Device -> Scroll down and click Update
  • Repeat the above process but this time select Z-Wave Garage Door Opener with Switch Capability (this DTH).
  • You may need to log out of your ST mobile app and log back in for the cache to completely clear after doing this (which forces the platform cache to clear).

Last week I got an alert from my one door that the battery was below 15%. In the app it shows 1%. I changed the battery 4 days ago and it still shows 1%. Any ideas on how to get it to refresh?

My other door shows 100% and I’ve had that opener longer, so wondering if the battery reporting is even working properly?

Any chance that the device handler could allow me to use a 3rd party tilt sensor? (Similar to the MyQ opener linked to on your site)

Under the current SmartThings architecture this DTH can only work with one device, the integrated garage door zwave controller.
However you can build you own custom garage door controller using a switch and a tilt sensor with even more features using this app:

@RBoy

Do you have any ideas on my issue? The battery still isn’t updating.

Could the “switch” be t he GD00Z-4?

GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4/others Device Handler - Version 03.00.01

• (New) Added setting to reset battery levels for controllers which only report low battery (replace)

NOTE : The UI changes may not reflect if you’re upgrading from an older version due to platform caching. One way to force the cache to clear is to change the device handler to a “Z-Wave Device” and then back to this device handler from the IDE, then sign out of the ST mobile app and sign back in. If nothing else works, you may need to exclude your device, delete the device handler and reinstall it if the UI does not update.

1 Like