[RELEASE] Custom Wemo (Connect)

Is anyone else having issues with their WeMo devices crashing the SmartThings app? I know there’s a whole post about this here…

I’ve got a WeMo switch that’s working fine and doesn’t crash app, but my WeMo Insight switch does crash app? I know I’ve seen changing the handler will fix this but should I wait for a fix from SmartThings or change the handler? Or will there be an update coming out for the handler?

1 Like

Ah, good catch.

The device handler isn’t maintained by SmartThings so it wasn’t updated. For example, this line just needs a single change:

multiAttributeTile(name:"rich-control", type: "switch", canChangeIcon: true){

should be changed to

multiAttributeTile(name:"rich-control", type: "generic", canChangeIcon: true){

or

multiAttributeTile(name:"rich-control", type: "lighting", canChangeIcon: true){

3 Likes

Thanks that did the trick. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

Anyone else having trouble with the insight switch? I already updated the DH as mentioned.

Control from ST seems intermittent. Most of the time the app just stuck at “turning on” or “turning off” and nothing happened with the actual switch.

A little help please:
I installed the Wemo (Connect) Advanced smartapp.
I installed the Wemo insight device handler.

When I try to change the device handler in the API from the default Lan Wemo Switch to the newly installed Wemo Insight Switch, I get:
“Access to graph.api.smartthings.com was denied
You don’t have authorization to view this page.
HTTP ERROR 403”.

When I run the Wemo (connect) Advanced smartapp, it does not discover the insight switch.

The insight switch does appear in ST, but without energy monitoring.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hi,

You must to uninstall the previous wemo device, you can not have the device several times.

1 Like

Thanks.
It looks like I have it working this time.

@Gergor, I’ve had Wemo Insight working for quite some time with no issues then all of a sudden it started doing something similar as you mentioned. When clicking on it in the app it says “turning on” or “turning off” instead of just going to on or off like before. However my Wemo’s do actually turn on or off. Problem I have though is WebCORE will not turn these things off anymore so a lot of my automation is broken (8 Wemo Insights) :frowning:. And sometimes the switch is off in the app when actually its still on.

Just started debugging this thing so not sure if anyone else has seen this. From now on I’m going with either Samsung smart plug or TPLink HS110s. (TPLink HS110s because they integrate with Sense Home Energy Monitor which I use).

I’ll give any updates if I find the culprit.

So just noticed my wemo insight isnt working anymore, just doing the "turning off " or “turning on” status without actually turning the device on or off. It only does this in the enhanced device Handler. If I switch back to the Lan WeMo switch device Handler it can control the device. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and everything in this post, but nothing seems to be working. Has anybody found a solution for it to work in the enhanced device Handler in the last year?

I too have had a few switches stopped working in ST. Worst, when I try to remove them and re-add them with Wemo Connect, the Wemo Connect bombs (error saving page) when I try to Save any changes.

I purchased a SmartThings hub just over a month ago now. I had 2 wemo insights, 4 hs110’s and purchased one aeotec smart switch 6 not long after the hub. Here in Australia I feel our options for power monitoring smart plugs are pretty dismal. All three plugs did technically work with smartthings out of the box but the only one that had power readings was the Aeotec. The most disappointing thing was I needed a custom handler to use all 3 to their full capabilities. I’ll stop ranting now and just add that this handler unfortunately never worked for me letting me get power readings from my insights

HI tech2urdoor, I have not tested the code some time ago, I will check it to verify if still works.

1 Like

Thanks for that Ule. If you don’t get time though don’t stress, I have put the two insight plugs away in the drawer for now.

My Wemo motion is not updating status automatically. If I press the refresh button in the device then it seems to update. Anyone else having issues with Wemo motion or can @ule please have a look.

I started having the same problem with WEMO plugs and switches. Commands are executed but status does not get updated so any routines/devices dependent on the action of the WEMO devices do not get activated.

Previously it’s been working fine for years. What happened and more importantly, what’s the fix?

i just tried this setup as well and not having luck. removed old wemo setup and everything seems to have installed correctly but i’m having the same issue: click on turn off and it just sits there and nothing actually turns off.

Any thoughts?

I’m using mujica : WeMo Insight Switch DH with the new smartthings app with no problems

Hey folks, sharing what worked for me.

1. added Wemo Insight switch through wemo app
  2. through IDE, installed device handler from here WeMo Insight Switch.groovy, and manually added “capability “Power Meter”” (as previously stated). Adding this capability allowed smarththings to report power consumption
  3. I installed the smart app but abandoned that it would never find my wemo insight switch
  1. In smartthings classic, I discovered the switch through add device
  2. i used sharptools on an android device to subscribe to to the thing (this gets the power status to my phone for other uses)
  3. through tasker, i’m able to see power usage. it only reports when there is usage, and then about 5 minutes thereafter, until there is zero usage, then stops again
  4. i use tasker to catch the “0” power usage (for no power, meaning my laundry is done with it’s cycle) to send a message to my google devices around the house to say “the laundry is done”.

awesome!