[Deprecated] EchoSistant Version 1.2.0

Officially announcing version 1.2.0 of EchoSistant

The Ultimate Voice and Text Messaging Assistant Using Your Alexa Enabled Devices

When your speakers Echo your words using Alexa as a personal Assistant, we call it EchoSistant! Introducing the EchoSistant, a light app that turns Alexa into a powerful personal assistant that can deliver your spoken messages via connected speakers or SMS. Using EchoSistant via your Alexa enabled devices you can utilize your ST connected speaker systems (Sonos; Wi-Fi, etc.) and Speech Synthesis devices (LanDroid, MediaRenderer, etc.) to send free form Text to Speech as well as Text Messages.

Alexa via SmartThings can now be used as a two-way voice communication device!

PLEASE NOTE: There are many powerful smartapps available to the community, namely CoRE and AskAlexa. I will take ALL change and addition suggestions, but will only implement those that hold to the core reasons for creating this SmartApp. I am not looking to make this a duplicate of what is already available.

More information and Install instructions are located here. These documents will evolve along with the smartapp.

The wiki for this app is here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EchoSistant

Support
I am open to suggestions, criticism, and whatever you want to throw at me…

Please, ask questions, there are no dumb questions…

If you find a bug or a consistent crash please help me track it down by giving me repeatable steps to reproduce it. A non-reproducible bug, many times, indicates other areas that may be at fault besides the app. If you watch the live logging and see a red error with a line number, that is very helpful to me! However, I will need a full screenshot and not a copy/paste of the text. But be careful about revealing your OAuth and AppToken in your public posts.

This is my first SmartApp and I hope every one enjoys it.

I want to give special thanks to the following:
Michael Struck @michaels - for guidance throughout my learning process
Keith DeLong @n8xd - for helping me troubleshoot my Lambda code
and especially Bobby Debrescu @SBDOBRESCU - He is the co-Author of this app. After answering a ton of my questions and listening to my rants and raves he jumped on board full force and helped me make this into a great app. Thank you.

17 Likes

I’ll have to spend the morning setting this up, but if it does what you say it could be a game changer in my home.

It does exactly what it says… it’s very easy to set up if you already have the AWS and lambda accounts.

We’ve had fun for two weeks testing this little app. Really, we tried to keep it at minimum complexity for the reliability and accuracy purposes. It has worked flawlessly for me. I hope it works for you too.

Ive got the best out of it in several occasions:

Using the Alexa Listens app on my phone, if I long press I could say directly (no Alexa needed):

Me: tell mommy I’ll be home in 10 min
Alexa: message sent to mommy

On the receiving end, if my wife is home, she’ll hear Sonos saying: Daddy will be home in 10 min. If she has her phone in her hands she’ll get a text message: daddy will be home in 10 min

While in the house, dinner notifications from the kitchen are a breeze:

Me: Alexa tell the boys dinner is ready
Alexa: message sent to boys
Sonos in (boys room) Hey guys, dinner is ready

The one thing that got me hooked was when my four year old told Alexa: good morning, I am awake now. And I immediately got a text message on the patio outside while I was enjoying my morning coffee.

Great idea @bamarayne I cannot wait to see how others will put Alexa and ST to work!

2 Likes

I decided I can’t wait, starting now. I have 7 echos and a dnla speaker in every room.

2 Likes

Should we be using the master branch or jason-working?

The master branch…

Ok, I figured. The instructions point to jason-working.

1 Like

Fixed it… Thanks.

2 Likes

I feel like an idiot. I’ve enabled oauth in the parent app, still getting the error…

STtoken = 'null'

and

“Could not create Access Token. OAuth my not be…” in the SmartApp.

Do it like this…

Obtain the Security Token:

• Login into the ST IDE at https://graph.api.smartthings.com/login/auth .
  • Once the parent smartapp is installed, within the IDE click on “App Settings”. Scroll down to “OAuth” and click on the link.
  • Authorize OAuth and click Update.
  • Navigate to the Live Logging tab (located at the top of the page). Leave this window open.
  • Open the smartapp and tap on “About EchoSistant”.
  • Tap “Revoke/Reset Security Access Token”.
  • Tap “Reset Access Token and Application ID”.
  • Tap “Reset/Renew Access Token”. Your Security Token will be displayed in the Smartapp.
  • Tap “Tap here to go back to the Main Menu”.
  • Go back to the Live Logging page on your computer.
  • At the top of the page find the “EchoSistant” link and click on it.
  • The ST App ID and ST Security Token are now displayed at the bottom of the page.
  • Copy these into the Lambda Code at the designated places.

The Wiki is updated to this now.

Thanks, that worked.

Excellent… we are working on that fix now.

there is a 404 error on the child app link in the wiki
can you update link in wiki please :slight_smile:

1 Like

Links are fixed.

3 Likes

Just awesome. What a great app.

2 Likes

Cool App Gents… uh… and I didn’t know you two were coders… ???

Basically this takes the static announcements of the monster house and flips it around and now you have completely dynamic announcement system via Alexa, Speakers and SMS…

Am I reading that right?

1 Like

Who says we are? We are just ambitious people surrounded by code slingers like @Mike_Maxwell , @ady624 , @MichaelS , @slagle , just to name a few that come to mind…

2 Likes

Ummm… well you wrote code and it works… I don’t think you can escape the literal definition…

YOU ARE CODERS!

Muahahahhahhahahhaha

3 Likes

How would you know? Did you get psyched about this app and ran to the store and got an Echo to try it out?

Muahhhaaaa…

Seriously, if you didn’t you should :wink: :wink:

2 Likes