[DEPRECATED] EchoSistant Version 4.0 ~ Evolved

oh Rickā€¦ you are in the totally wrong websiteā€¦

read the wiki carefullyā€¦ follow the links. You have to start at the beginning and work all the way throughā€¦ no short cuts. no skippingā€¦

OK, call me wellā€¦ anything except late for a beer

I went to http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EchoSistant
Then scrolled down to first section and clicked on the GitHub link for Main Intent as you see highlighted

Copied and pasted the code into a new Smart App as Raw code and get the same error

Rick

The intent and Utterances are for Amazonā€™s side.

You want the ones that the file names end in .groovy or .src
For the Profile Child App, itā€™s 3rd up from the bottom.

Only the .Groovy and .src ones are for SmartThings IDE

1 Like

Hey Rick, here are the two links you need to copy/paste in ide.

This is the Main Appā€¦

And this is the child app, Profile, the Messaging and Control Profileā€¦

Sorry for the confusion.

I was able to install the 3 .groovy smartapps, so what did I miss in the previous instructions?

Rick

1 Like

did you create the lambda account?
did you create the AWS account?
did you install and create the lambda function?
did you create the main and profile skills?

Jason,

Not to be a smart ass, but the Wiki doesnā€™t instruct to do that.

The first step is the Parent App, went fine
The second step is to install the child app, which I believe you said was the ā€œMain Intentā€ that is as far as I got. Now the Wiki leads me into installing the smartapp on in the ST app.

Before I go on, I will go back and try to install the ones you listed above, where are those instructions? Later on I presume?

Rick

sections 5, 6, 7, 8 of the instructions are what you need to work onā€¦ #6 is optional

I recommend you start at #1 and continue until the very end.

@SBDOBRESCU @bamarayne

OK, I spoke too soon - I had the test of the main intent working fine yesterdayā€¦so resumed this morning with setting up a profile intent. Had problemsā€¦so first thing I went back to was to check the main intent was still working. It isnā€™t. Does the below give any pointers?

Itā€™s not broken. Try turning off a light.

1 Like

Yes, OK, itā€™s not broken :joy:

I just wasnā€™t seeing the same lambda response I was seeing yesterdayā€¦and as it didnā€™t match what was in the wikiā€¦I assumed there was something wrong.

So onward with my other profiles thenā€¦

1 Like

So Iā€™ve set up a profile. Still trying to fully understand profilesā€¦so I canā€™t be sure Iā€™ve set it up correctlyā€¦but I donā€™t think itā€™s working.

The profile is set up to send a push notificationā€¦and thatā€™s it.

Ok, think about Profiles as independent ā€˜thingsā€™, which could be a Room (bedroom) or a Person (Brian).

Once you set up the Profile named Bedroom, you could say:

Alexa turn the lights on IN the Bedroom (you control the Profile directly, not through Home).

Once you set up another Profile named Brian, you ā€˜comnunicateā€™ with ā€˜Brianā€™ directly, say you pick a phone number to send messages to Brian. You tell Alexa:

Alexa tell Brian I am running late for dinnerā€¦

Brian will get a text: I am running late for dinnerā€¦

In your example, to test Wakeup, you could tryā€¦

Alexa tell Wakeup, I am awakeā€¦

If you have a speaker or a phone selectedā€¦ youā€™ll get the I am awake message

if you have some actions selected under ā€˜Run these actions when Profile runsā€™, then ā€˜tellingā€™ Wakeup something, will execute ALL of those actions, just like a routine wouldā€¦

If you select some devices under Group and Device control, you may say: Tell Wakeup to turn the lights off or turn the TV onā€¦

Again testing happens from the Profile itself. Each Profile has its own free text processing power.

The reason Profiles exist, is because Home cannot handle free text. Also, itā€™s more natural to say: Alexa tell Brian itā€™s dinner time, than saying: Alexa tell Home to tell Brian itā€™s dinner timeā€¦

Makes sense?

2 Likes

This app seems to awesome! I got it installed and installed a custom profile so I am through testing. Now I would like to begin implementing. My first question is rather simple, having to do with individual switches.

In your wiki you show the following simple commands such as ā€œturn on the stove light in my homeā€. Simple enough and I understand ā€˜homeā€™ is the invocation to EchoSistant. My question isā€¦ does stove light come directly from the device itself?

To organize my home Iā€™ve labeled many lights using shortcuts. For example, my master bedroom light it not ā€˜Bedroom Lightā€™ but rather MB - Light. It is just my way of organizing as I have a lot of lights and switches. So my follow up question is: Should I (i) rename my devices to better suit EchoSistant or; (ii) does EchoSistant provide some method of calling a device by a different name (ie. an alias)?

It seems that when you want to control multiple lights (ie. 3 lights in the master bedroom), a profile is needed. However, the setup for controlling a group of devices via profile lends itself only to on, off or toggle. Would best practices suggest that you simply create a profile and just have Core fire a piston once you execute the profile?

Lastly, does anyone have any naming convention tips to avoid ā€œinvocation confusionā€? As I start thinking about this stuff I imagine where profiles fail to launch due to improper invocations or individual lights wonā€™t turn on due to improper invocations. For example, if I want to turn on the bedroom TV I would eventually say ā€œAlexa turn on the bedroom TVā€ where the profile is ā€œbedroomā€ but how to avoid the confusion (wife/kids) of them saying ā€œAlexa turn on the bedroom TV in the homeā€ and get no result?

More thoughts on Profiles, the reason we didnā€™t split the PROFILES in two (Room and Person) is because you could actually set up One PROFILE in ST, named Gabriel AND have TWO skills for it. One skill with invocation name of that Person (Gabriel) - so you can say Alexa tell Gabriel, AND on skill with invocation name as Personā€™s Room (Gabrielā€™s Roon) - so you can say Alexa turn the lights off IN Gabrielā€™s Roomā€¦

Stove light is an example of A physical device. You could replace it with ANY of your SELECTED switch namesā€¦

You have two optionsā€¦Either rename the devices and use the MAIN (Home) intent - as in the stove light example

OR

Create a PROFILE named Bedroom and select MB-Light in the Group Switches sectionā€¦that way, you could say Alexa turn the LIGHTS on (notice the plural) IN the BEDROOM. Or simply, Alexa LIGHTS ON/OFF in the Bedroom

Sorry no aliases with EchoSistantā€¦

Not true! A Profile is able to control dimmable lights much like the Home would (switches need to be selected under the Group, NOT under Run these actions)

Using CoRE can be powerful for advanced actions NOT covered by EchoSistant (with v4 is harder to find use cases, but @bamarayne I am sure would be able to find you 100 of them, right away). ā€¦

1 Like

A key component to fire a custom skill is to use the connector INā€¦ In home, in bedroom, in ā€¦Skillā€¦failure to use IN would not start the custom skillā€¦ Thatā€™s why my Main skill is called MY HOMEā€¦so I can use IN my homeā€¦

OTHERWISEā€¦the connectors for a custom skill are:

Alexa TELL/USE/ASK ā€¦the custom skillā€¦