[DEPRECATED] EchoSistant Evolved ~ Amazon Echo's Only Assistant with Robust Scheduling and Flexible Reporting

Hey! I was voting!

1 Like

I didn’t like how it turned out. I’ll do it again from my computer tomorrow… :smile:

1 Like

What are you doing with EchoSistant?

Here’s a little use case I have set up…

I call it, “Garden”

I Created a messaging and control profile with these settings:

• location and device actions - chose my osram garden mini lights with the command toggle.
  • create groups and select devices - chose the same lights in the dimmers section and the colored lights section

I then created a notifications profile with these settings:

I call it, Garden trigger.

• message output is custom
  • selected triggers and I use sunrise/sunset (not yet public)
  • select garden in the profiles section

This allows me to do the following:

• lights turn on and off automatically at the preset times
  • I can say, Alexa, turn on the lights in the garden
  • I can say, Alexa, change the color to blue in the garden
  • I can say, Alexa, made it brighter in the garden

Simple, but total control via automation and Alexa.

3 Likes

No sure if this is the right place for help but here it goes.
I just set this up last night using the Wiki page as a guide. Everything went smoothy but when I got to the testing page and this step:

Now Type into the box "Turn on <pick a light switch you chose in the app earlier>"
 - Click "Ask EchoSistant-Main Intent"

I typed in: Turn on the Front Lights

This was the Lambda response:

{
“response”: {
“outputSpeech”: {
“type”: “PlainText”,
“text”: "Oh no, something went wrong. If this happens again, please reach out for help!, would you like to try again? "
},
“card”: {
“content”: "Oh no, something went wrong. If this happens again, please reach out for help!, would you like to try again? ",
“title”: “EchoSistant Try Again”,
“type”: “Simple”
},
“shouldEndSession”: false
},
“sessionAttributes”: {}
}

In the Live Logging I get this:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toLowerCase() on null object

I checked my AppId and Token and all seems good. I am right at the end and feel like I missed something stupid.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

This is the perfect place to ask. :smile:

If you still have live Logging open, could you please post a little more? I need to see the beginning of the request. Does it start with Feedback data…or control data…and what fields are undefined …

You didn’t do anything wrong. you are all set and ready to go. You stepped on a bug, which I need to fix in the Main app…

I thought it felt squishy :slight_smile:

Here is my debug log if it helps:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toLowerCase() on null object

‎8‎:‎43‎:‎36‎ ‎AM: info deviceType = general , command = on

‎8‎:‎43‎:‎36‎ ‎AM: debug Control Data: (ctCommand)= on’,(ctNum) = ‘undefined’, (ctPIN) = ‘undefined’, (ctDevice) = ‘front lights’, (ctUnit) = ‘undefined’, (ctGroup) = ‘undefined’, (ctIntentName) = ‘main’

‎8‎:‎43‎:‎36‎ ‎AM: debug Begining Process data: (event) = ‘main’, (ver) = ‘4.0’, (date) = ‘2/17/2017’, (release) = ‘4.0.00’; data sent: pContinue = ‘null’, pShort = ‘null’, pPendingAns = ‘false’, versionSTtxt = ‘4.0’, releaseSTtxt = ‘R.0.3.2’ outputTxt = ‘null’ ; other data: pContCmdsR = ‘init’, pinTry’=null’

‎8‎:‎43‎:‎36‎ ‎AM: debug Launch Data: (event) = ‘main’, (Lambda version) = ‘4.0’, (Lambda release) = ‘4.0.00’, (ST Main App release) = ‘R.0.3.2’ (ST Child App Release) = null}

‎8‎:‎43‎:‎36‎ ‎AM: debug ^^^^_LAUNCH REQUEST^^^^

‎8‎:‎42‎:‎37‎ ‎AM: debug Refreshing Profiles for CoRE, [Sunroom]

‎8‎:‎42‎:‎37‎ ‎AM: debug Updated with settings: [fSecFeed:false, securityOn:false, cSwitch:[Alarm Status, Bedroom Bloom, Dogs Outside, Fireplace, Front Lights, Hallway Lights, Kitchen Lights, Makeup Table, Sunroom Bloom, Sunroom Lights, Sunroom Music Amp, Tablet Charger, Vanity], cPresence:[Scott’s iPhone, Taylor’s iPhone, Venus’s iPhone], cWater:[Dishwasher Water Sensor, Hot Water Heater, Kitchen Sink], cTstat:[Thermostat], cWindow:[Dining Room Window 1, Dining Room Window 2, Hallway Window 1, Hallway Window 2, Laundry Room, Sunroom Window, Taylor’s Window], notifyOn:false, cDoor1:[Bathroom Door, Bedroom Back Door, Front Door, Shed, Side Gate, Sunroom Door], debug:true, thermoOn:false, ShowLicense:false]

1 Like

Thanks for the bug report. I have pushed a minor update to avoid devices with missing labels, so your error should go away :slight_smile: For future reference to others… Even though this problem may be fixed for the time being, in the long run tdevices with missing labels will give you headaches not only with EchoSistant but with other apps in general…

To identify if a device doesn’t have a label, go to “My Devices” then click on the device link. The seond field is the “label”. Add a name to it, then click update.

@swindmiller , when you get a chance, could you please confirm that the bug has been fixed?

HI
I am trying to set this up but running into some trouble.
In the developer’s page and trying to set up the Add Slot Type… but there is no such option.
Can anyone help? I have been going through the steps for 45 minutes.
Thanks so much

Hi Cedric,
It looks like Amazon has changed things again. I’ll get the Wiki updated.

But, this is how it works…

In the Custom Slot Type, put in the name of your first slot.
Then enter your values,
Then click add.

Then keep adding slots until you’re done.

Ok. I have figured it out. Finally got this working.
It is fantastic.

Thank you for a wonderful suite of software.

One last question : if I change the names of the devices in ST, will this pick up the new names? Or do I have to go through the LIST_OF_DEVICES again?

Regards
Cedric

Thanks! Tried 2 different switches and they both worked. I then tried a Virtual Switch I have called “Dogs Outside”, that one did not work. I did see where it did not have a label so I added one with the same name and it still does not work. Do I have to do anything special after I add the label and save?

Thanks for all your help!
Scott

EDIT:
Here is the debug:

Feedback data: (fDevice) = ‘dogs outside’, (fQuery) = ‘undefined’, (fOperand) = ‘on’, (fCommand) = ‘undefined’, (fIntentName) = ‘feedback’

‎1‎:‎23‎:‎10‎ ‎PM: debug Begining Process data: (event) = ‘feedback’, (ver) = ‘4.0’, (date) = ‘2/17/2017’, (release) = ‘4.0.00’; data sent: pContinue = ‘null’, pShort = ‘null’, pPendingAns = ‘false’, versionSTtxt = ‘4.0’, releaseSTtxt = ‘R.0.3.2 debugON’ outputTxt = ‘null’ ; other data: pContCmdsR = ‘init’, pinTry’=null’

‎1‎:‎23‎:‎10‎ ‎PM: debug Launch Data: (event) = ‘feedback’, (Lambda version) = ‘4.0’, (Lambda release) = ‘4.0.00’, (ST Main App release) = ‘R.0.3.2 debugON’ (ST Child App Release) = null}

‎1‎:‎23‎:‎10‎ ‎PM: debug ^^^^_LAUNCH REQUEST^^^^

Yes, unfortunately this is a limitation on the Amazon side… If you change device names or add/remove devices you must update that custom slot.

A quick bug from me… I can lock and unlock through EchoSistant fine, but when my door is locked and i ask “Is my Front Door Locked” I always get a “No, The Front Door is not locked” response… Any ideas?

Hi John,
Sorry about that problem. If you would post a screen shot of your live logs it would be very helpful.

This is what i get:

b3b66bda-4598-45e6-93b1-2c72756360fe 20:07:29: debug Launch Data: (event) = ‘noAction’, (Lambda version) = ‘4.0’, (Lambda release) = ‘4.0.00’, (ST Main App release) = ‘R.0.3.3’ (ST Child App Release) = null}
b3b66bda-4598-45e6-93b1-2c72756360fe 20:07:29: debug ^^^^_LAUNCH REQUEST^^^^
b3b66bda-4598-45e6-93b1-2c72756360fe 20:07:19: debug Feedback data: (fDevice) = ‘front door’, (fQuery) = ‘is the’, (fOperand) = ‘locked’, (fCommand) = ‘undefined’, (fIntentName) = ‘feedback’
b3b66bda-4598-45e6-93b1-2c72756360fe 20:07:19: debug Begining Process data: (event) = ‘feedback’, (ver) = ‘4.0’, (date) = ‘2/17/2017’, (release) = ‘4.0.00’; data sent: pContinue = ‘false’, pShort = ‘false’, pPendingAns = ‘false’, versionSTtxt = ‘4.0’, releaseSTtxt = ‘R.0.3.3’ outputTxt = ‘null’ ; other data: pContCmdsR = ‘null’, pinTry’=null’
b3b66bda-4598-45e6-93b1-2c72756360fe 20:07:19: debug Launch Data: (event) = ‘feedback’, (Lambda version) = ‘4.0’, (Lambda release) = ‘4.0.00’, (ST Main App release) = ‘R.0.3.3’ (ST Child App Release) = null}
b3b66bda-4598-45e6-93b1-2c72756360fe 20:07:19: debug ^^^^_LAUNCH REQUEST^^^^
b3b66bda-4598-45e6-93b1-2c72756360fe 20:07:15: debug Begining Process data: (event) = ‘noAction’, (ver) = ‘4.0’, (date) = ‘2/17/2017’, (release) = ‘4.0.00’; data sent: pContinue = ‘false’, pShort = ‘false’, pPendingAns = ‘false’, versionSTtxt = ‘4.0’, releaseSTtxt = ‘R.0.3.3’ outputTxt = ‘null’ ; other data: pContCmdsR = ‘null’, pinTry’=null’
b3b66bda-4598-45e6-93b1-2c72756360fe 20:07:15: debug Launch Data: (event) = ‘noAction’, (Lambda version) = ‘4.0’, (Lambda release) = ‘4.0.00’, (ST Main App release) = ‘R.0.3.3’ (ST Child App Release) = null}

Hi,

I’m having issues with ‘open garage door’ command.
close garage door works just fine.
However when I use developer console and type open garage door
Here is what I get:
“response”: {
“outputSpeech”: {
“type”: “PlainText”,
“text”: “There are no doors or windows open”
},
“card”: {
“content”: “There are no doors or windows open”,
“title”: “EchoSistant Feedback”,
“type”: “Simple”
},
“shouldEndSession”: false
},
“sessionAttributes”: {}
}

{
“session”: {
“sessionId”: “SessionId.97a47ba9-864b-4113-951b-a4521db40e68”,
“application”: {
“applicationId”: “amzn1.ask.skill.72e087fd-f9d1-47dd-a9d9-951b36b8a552”
},
“attributes”: {},
“user”: {
“userId”: “amzn1.ask.account.AES7QON6SJ4MEFJOI6C7J5WOI2I537CVP7RPXAYQFNIWZC77ZGXQFTOSHFIXRRJB3BVIX7NNF75P4GK474TVDOKHXVMCFE6ZQLMESFDVCVDMCAHKOLCGEUKEOS5QJNECS2XMEFIEDRGCWQZSKZOCQ7NNR6NRE7XTYDACXGEBCYXALX2XSBS5FBYY6JRW7SHGLMWESDP5JOUI7WI”
},
“new”: true
},
“request”: {
“type”: “IntentRequest”,
“requestId”: “EdwRequestId.306fda01-69e1-4388-933a-afb2c08c64a6”,
“locale”: “en-US”,
“timestamp”: “2017-03-29T00:30:59Z”,
“intent”: {
“name”: “feedback”,
“slots”: {
“cDevice”: {
“name”: “cDevice”,
“value”: “garage door”
},
“fOperand”: {
“name”: “fOperand”,
“value”: “open”
},
“fQuery”: {
“name”: “fQuery”
},
“cCommand”: {
“name”: “cCommand”
}
}
}
},
“version”: “1.0”
}

Here is the log

eaff4629-9de4-4621-a28d-b9c52152886e 7:34:22 PM: debug Feedback data: (fDevice) = ‘garage door’, (fQuery) = ‘undefined’, (fOperand) = ‘open’, (fCommand) = ‘undefined’, (fIntentName) = ‘feedback’
eaff4629-9de4-4621-a28d-b9c52152886e 7:34:22 PM: debug Begining Process data: (event) = ‘feedback’, (ver) = ‘4.0’, (date) = ‘2/17/2017’, (release) = ‘4.0.00’; data sent: pContinue = ‘null’, pShort = ‘null’, pPendingAns = ‘false’, versionSTtxt = ‘4.0’, releaseSTtxt = ‘R.0.3.3’ outputTxt = ‘null’ ; other data: pContCmdsR = ‘door’, pinTry’=null’
eaff4629-9de4-4621-a28d-b9c52152886e 7:34:22 PM: debug Launch Data: (event) = ‘feedback’, (Lambda version) = ‘4.0’, (Lambda release) = ‘4.0.00’, (ST Main App release) = ‘R.0.3.3’ (ST Child App Release) = null}
eaff4629-9de4-4621-a28d-b9c52152886e 7:34:22 PM: debug ^^^^_LAUNCH REQUEST^^^^

Any idea?

Thanks

Alex

Hey there and sorry about the trouble…

Are you saying…

Alexa, tell home to open garage door.
Or
Alexa, tell home to open the garage door.

Alexa, tell home to open the garage door.

Couple of questions…

How long have you had the app installed?
Has it been working before your last update?
Please double check your custom slots in the main skill intent, that they are all up to date.

1 Like