SmartThings Community

[RELEASE] Echo Speaks

echo
smartapp_voice
project_alerts
project_voice

do you have it in a GitHub we can look at?

0 Likes

I got the code from from the creator and installed the handler and device… is there something else i can provide that can help?
Do i need Bigtalker? Sorry, i’m just really confused on how to troubleshoot this.

0 Likes

(Patrick Mjoen) #2790

Its very strange, when I create a routine to speak, it will flash the light and do nothing, then other times flash and say part of the text… Both do this

0 Likes

I reinstalled everything through the GitHub installation method. Everything went fine, broadcasts on my 2 echo devices work fine. Locale is Amazon UK. I created the automation again, when sensor detects motions to play a message. I get a popup message on my phone with the message i set but no voice coming out of the echo.

I probably spend 2-3 hours on this. I’m losing faith i can make it work. Can anyone help or should i give up?

0 Likes

(Anthony S.) #2793

i think this is an amazon bug for sure

0 Likes

(Anthony S.) #2794

what automation are you using to send the command to the echo speaks devices?

0 Likes

Through smartthings app, if motion is detected on motion sensor A, then notify members with audio message X. Audio notification is enabled on echo dot living room and language is US female. Turn on as scheduled is disabled.

0 Likes

(Anthony S.) #2796

This can get tricky. Because for some reason ST decided to only add the Sonos style TTS actions to most of it’s built-in automation’s. (Which is weird because they are moving away from hosted TTS).
The other caveat is that Amazon doesn’t allow us to send MP3’s to the Alexa devices otherwise I could support Native ST TTS features.

Echo Speaks can work with the following capabilities. Speech Synthesis and Notifications. Those will be translated into Alexa TTS.

0 Likes

(Gene Clark) #2797

@tonesto7 Am I correct in saying there’s no way can you specify a URL to have Alexa play that sound clip through an Echo speaker? I’d like to be wrong on this one but…

0 Likes

(Anthony S.) #2798

Not with the current API.
It’s been a minute since i’ve messed with the Alexa/Lambda API but i’ve been entertaining the idea of porting the lambda over from our unreleased version of EchoSistant 5 before @bamarayne resurrected the project and built his own v5.0.

The idea would be to use it to use for:

• SSML for different speech effects
  • Custom audio file playback
  • Echo Show/Spot screen output graphics
  • The list goes on.

My only hold up would be that I can’t remember if I can send speech to an Alexa device unsolicited.

1 Like

(Gene Clark) #2799

Guess you better get busy! :joy:

1 Like

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #2800

Based on my experience, no you can’t… But I’m just an amateur compared to your skills. But if you can, you’ll be the one to find it.

1 Like

(Tony Fleisher) #2801

Maybe a combination of voice service and Alexa music skill could work?

0 Likes

(Todd M) #2802

I have been looking for this functionality since I first purchased an echo years ago.

0 Likes

(Ron Talley) #2803

What functionality would this apply to? Use case.

0 Likes

(Todd M) #2804

I realize that I can use EchoSistant and/or Echo Speaks to accomplish most needs. But rather than go through all of the install process for EchoSistant/Echo Speaks, it seems it would just be easier (I think) to do something like an API call to determine the last echo spoken to and use webcore to do announcements to that or another or a group echos (ex. “Someone is in the driveway”). Or, to just be able to address an echo directly, unsolicited, to do similar announcements and/or a plethora of other functions. Am I missing something here?

0 Likes

(Ron Talley) #2805

Was just curious. I am heavily invested in Alexa and Echo devices. Last count was 38 devices. I was just biding my time until I could finally do what EchoSpeaks offers. Before, I was using Tablets, LANnouncer and BigTalker. Always willing to expand the horizon!

0 Likes

(Todd M) #2806

YIKES! I have 8, three of which are tablets. I am optimistic that the “Echo” market will continue to grow exponentially and I fully intend to ride that wave. No offense to the authors of Echo Speaks, EchoSistant, LANnouncer or BigTalker, but it just seems ridiculous to have to employ those methods when much of that could be avoided if Amazon would just open up the Echos a little more. And yes, I understand the security issues…

0 Likes

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #2807

Yes, and there is the problem. Amazon has said they do not intend to open it up for that. They have made advances but until then we just get to jump through hoops to get things done.

The nice thing is once you go through the set up process, which are actually pretty simple, you do not have to do it again.

3 Likes

(Todd M) #2808

Thus my efforts today to get Echo Speaks installed. :slight_smile:

0 Likes