[OBSOLETE] Lock User Management (LUM)

Thank you for helping me with my earlier question - I have one more please, and then I should be out of your hair :nerd:

Itā€™s about the ā€œEnable incremental updates only and disable re-verificationā€ optionā€¦

Now that my locks are set up, I will very rarely make any Code changes or User Level changes, so with that in mindā€¦

Would it make sense for me to enable that option (in terms of mitigating unnecessary communication between the app and the locks)?

If I enable it, am I somehow lessening my overall code security?

If I enable it, what are the risks I face by no longer having the re-verification feature?

Follow-up to last questionā€¦ If re-verification is off (with this option enabled), and I do later make a Code or User Level change, how does that update then get communicated to the locks?

And finallyā€¦ In your explanation within the app itself (just above that option), you mention ā€œā€¦ if your ST setup is working reliably and you update codes oftenā€¦ā€, did you intend to say ā€œā€¦you DONā€™T update codes oftenā€¦ā€?

Thanks again for this fantastic app and all of your prompt support - itā€™s appreciated!!

Cheers, Chris

Enabling re verification i.e. Option disabled by default, allows the smart
app to do two way verification of codes. This to ensure that each command
has executed correctly and must be verified or re verified by the lock at
the discretion of the smartapp. This ensures a complete sense of security
making sure the lock is always in sync with the app. However the downside
of this is that it increases communication with locks and there is lots of
"chatter" for everything.
One of the primary reasons for the elaborate reverification setup is that
most folks tends to use just a lock and a hub. This is a VERY unreliable
setup from a communication (z wave mesh in technical terms is weak due to
reflections, distance and no active nodes) and can lead to loss of
commands, dropped commands, failed commands etc. that is to say the lock
not always be in sync with the SmartApp which can cause issues like my
codes donā€™t work or they donā€™t delete etc. hence re verification is enabled
by default at the expense of extra overhead.

Folks who have a reliable z wave network, i.e. A strong mesh, through a
lots of active z wave repeaters makes the communication almost 100%
reliable between the lock and hub. In such a setup you donā€™t need the extra
overhead (both in terms of time taken to complete a command and
communication chatter) for reliable programming. In such cases you can
disable re verification especially when folks are constantly changing the
codes. When re verification is enabled it can 2x to 3x the time to compete
the programming of the codes. So if you have a strong network and lots of
changes you could take a chance to disable re verification.

Hope this helps.

Good stuff - I appreciate the explanation! Thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixing to install the Connect and setup your DH and app. In the explanation to Hydro, you talk about the quality of the z-wave mesh. Is there a way to test the quality of my z-wave mesh? Thanks

Never mind, found my answerā€¦ no

There is.

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/shop/kits-bundles/tools/zwp-tbx-z-wave-toolbox

Hi Roy,

Is there a particular reason why when I open the logs in the ST application under lock --> recently tab, I see events such as ā€œunlock using codeā€, ā€œcodeunlock isā€ etc. these do not generate notifications however Iā€™m not sure I had them before updating the apps and DH.

Thanks

If they are in the recently tab then theyā€™re coming from your lock, not the app. You would need to see why your lock is sending them.

Thanks Roy but Iā€™m using your provided DH Universal Enhanced Z-Wave Lock with Alarm, Notification, RFID, Door Sensor and Advanced Features

Iā€™m receiving this events such as "ā€œunlock using codeā€ very often despite no code used or unlocked

The DH only reports what the lock is sending it. So you may want to look into why the lock is sending it. Try checking IDE Live Logging for whatā€™s being sent by the lock. It will tell in more detail whatā€™s going on. Feel free to copy the messages from the lock (not the smart app) and PM it to me.

Also you may want to move this over to the DH thread.

Folks using the ZigBee device handler should update to the latest 1.3a Universal ZigBee device handler. This is to fix an issue with the lock reporting user 255 when using manual or remote locking/unlocking. Thanks for the quick turnaround @jhamstead.

1 Like

I setup a temporary guest code that was supposed to expire on 3/15 but it was available on 3/17. It is no longer available now but I am wondering if there is a known issue for this?

Select User Type
Expire On

Code Start Date
empty

Code Expiration Date
2017-03-15

Code Expiration Time
06:30 PM

I have a schlange lock and Iā€™m trying to use this to turn SHM to home mode (Iā€™m back routine).

I believe itā€™s the disarm command? Is that right? Enter code door opens and it sends Iā€™m back?

whats the best way to trigger goodbye?

That would be an issue with your ST account timers not firing or likely a communication failure with your hub. Make sure your mesh network is strong, you have a few active devices between your lock and hub and you do a z wave network repair (last part is very important to the health of the network)

Disarm changes SHM to Home mode. You can also execute routines which tends to be more predictable than changing SHM modes as the platform tends to run slow sometimes for SHM mode changes.

Hey
Gotcha so I can create my own routine that isnā€™t SHM and assign that to disarm and thatā€™s when the keypad unlocks the door?

What do the other options tie to function wise? Can I assign a specific code that locks the door and ā€œarms itā€?

Thanks

Josh

Yes, if youā€™re using the universal enhanced device handler and your lock support code based locking you can define custom actions (lock and unlock) for each user code.

Thanks
I am using it and using lock manager
But Iā€™m unclear what all the different options relate to function wise?
ā€œDisarmā€ is when door is unlocked? What are the other ones? What triggers
them?

If you click on define custom actions for the user it will list all the
available options. There will be 2 sections, one for unlock actions and one
for lock actions. The custom user actions will be triggered when the user
uses their code to lock or unlock the door.

where is define custom actions? Iā€™m not seeing itā€¦