[OBSOLETE] Dome Siren (Official)

Once the new custom capability features is out of beta I could create a much cleaner approach that works with the Automations section of the new mobile app, but I doubt I’ll be doing that with this DTH.

I guess it’s possible the people I’ve worked with in the past are no longer there so I’m going to try one last time through their main contact form so you might want to hold off on doing that…

Just as an FYI John, you must have the US model. The UK/EU one will simply not work in the US as Z-Wave devices have different frequencies in different regions of the world. Just saying on the off chance you ever think of buying any Z-Wave devices from outside NA.
This does not apply to Zigbee devices though, they are global.

Hi Kevin, I am also using the new Smartthings app and I can’t select Chime, only alarms are available using your handler. Please help.

Verify that the device really is using my handler by checking its “type” field in the IDE.

You can play chimes using the Speaker Companion SmartApp in the new mobile app, but you need to use the “Play a Notification” option instead of the “Control - play/stop…” option, choose “custom message”, and then enter the chime # you want to play as the custom messsge.

Hi Kevin. Thanks for this DTH. I am here, like so many other people, because I was forced to migrate from the amazing classic ST app to the painful new ST app.

I cannot see the battery level or choose any chimes (screenshot attached)(upload://c2YnGjfKmqpsnmuODB4qQTK9Su5.jpeg) . I can confirm the “Dome Siren” is the active type. Now, I have “Strobe/Siren and Strobe/Siren” and no battery level (is that normal?). With the generic Z-wave Siren type, I could see the battery level at least.

Anyway, the siren is identified as a speaker, and your instruction (“Play a Notification” > “custom message” > enter the chime #) should work in the classic app.

In the new app, “Notify someone” > “Play message on speaker” > “Enter notification message” – does entering the chime # work here?

I know I’m not Kevin but I was successful doing it exactly how you outline it by placing Chime 2 in the text field. However when using my driveway alert I have Bell 2 in the Classic App. I tried that in the new one and it sounds Chime 2 instead. haven’t had time to mess with it yet, will probably work on it today. More than likely I will have to use speaker companion smartapp instead of routines

1 Like

Hi Raymond, thanks for sharing your experience. The problem is, whatever I type, it sounds Bell 1. I tried “chime 1”, “chime1”, “Chime 1”, “Chime1”, “Chime#1”, “1”. I also tried all the above for 2 and it still sounds Bell 1. Not sure how to fix it.

You should be entering the sound # into the custom message field…

Thank you Kevin but that does not work for me. I tried 1, #1, # 1 or 3, #3, # 3 but it only sounds Bell 1. I still have the classic app, do you think that may cause conflicts?

Sorry, I’ve written tons of handlers for Chimes and Dome wanted this one implemented in a different way then all my others so I was wrong about just entering the number.

Here’s the list of commands that should work, but if it doesn’t then uncomment the log.trace line from the bottom of the code, open live logging, attempt to play the sound using the automation, and post the logging results.

• bell1
  • bell2
  • bell3
  • bell4
  • bell5
  • chime1
  • chime2
  • chime3
  • siren1
  • siren2

I may put together an “unofficial” PDF to help others with this device if they are interested for the new app since Dome is unresponsive.

I would be interested…

Love our dome siren and just switched over to the new SmartThings app. Got our door chime working via the guidance above to use “Speaker Companion”.

Having one issue - the door chime volume seems to be lower than it used to be when using the old app. I went into the dome siren in devices and hit settings and tried to adjust the “Chime volume” from low to medium or high, but the volume actually got lower! Any suggestions?

Open live logging, verify that logging is enabled in the settings, save the volume setting change, and once the log entries stop, post the results.

NEW MOBILE APP NOW SUPPORTED!

I just posted a new version of the DTH that should be fully supported with the Automations feature in the new mobile app.

Please ignore all the posts above that mention Speaker Companion being a requirement or provide modifications you can make to the code as a workaround.

I’ve added the Switch Level capability that allows you to select the device as a Dimmer and you can set the dimmer value to 1-10 to play the corresponding sound #. To prevent network errors that will also create a level event and reset the level back to 0 after a few seconds.

If an Automation executes that changes the dimmer level and the switch is currently off, SmartThings sends the “on” command first which causes the siren to turn on instead of playing the chime.

To solve that problem I added a new “Switch On Action” setting that determines what happens when the device’s “on” command is executed, but I set the default value to “Turn on Siren” to prevent breaking things for users that are currently using the “on” command to activate the siren.

If you plan on using the Dimmer feature to play sounds then you need to set the “Switch on Action” setting to “Do Nothing”.

If you’re not using the device with the Speaker Companion app and you don’t want all the speaker related functionality shown then you can delete the lines below from the DTH, but if you do that by editing the existing handler then you might not see that change for up to 12 hours.

capability "Audio Notification"
		capability "Music Player"
		capability "Speech Synthesis"

Instructions for playing chimes in the new mobile app

1. Open the device’s settings in the mobile app and change the “Switch On Action” setting to “Do Nothing”.

2. Go into Automations and create a new one.

3. Configure the “If” section that will trigger the chime to play.

4. Select the device from the “Then” > “Control Devices” section and tap next.

5. If the “Dimmer” option is disabled then change “off” to “on”.

6. Tap Dimmer and specify a number between 1-10 which will be the sound # that plays when this automation is triggered.

Apologies! It seems our dome siren batteries must have been low and was causing the volume to act strangely. Replaced the batteries and it’s working perfectly now!

Hello everyone,
So after going from the classic to the new app (been using the new app for a while now) last week when I got the notice to migrate so my chiming still worked somehow but would chime not once like normal after opening doors or windows etc but 3-5 more times. Is that because I deleted the classic app after going through the conversion process to migrate over?

Lastly, I was able to get the chime to work after going from classic to the new app via the Speaker Companion SmartApps like mentioned above but its still chiming 3-5 times instead of once and still chiming with the old way somehow too. I know this because I selected chime 1 for the speaker companion way and chime2 with the old way.

Can someone help? lol Looks like I have both ways being triggered and for some reason chiming more than once like before. I also updated the device handlers with the new one from above.

If you’re using the latest version of the handler, you should see a setting for “Switch On Action” and you should set it to do nothing.

You should also see a dimmer slider on the device details page which should allow you to play the 10 chimes by setting the level to 1-10.

If you don’t see that slider then the UI is cached and the only reliable way to force it to update is to change the name of the handler in the code and create a new handler with it. Once the new handler is created and published you can edit the device in the IDE and change its type to the new handler you created.

Once you can see the slider on the device details screen in the mobile app, see if changing the level makes it play once or if it still plays multiple times.

If it still plays multiple times then open Live Logging in the IDE, set the level again in the new mobile app, and post the logging results when it stops playing.

1 Like

Can’t you create separate capabilities for siren, chime, and bell and get all the buttons available that way? Frustrating to have such limited testing capability in the new app.
thanks,
Guy

PS: BTW, Thanks for all you do. Really appreciate the hard work to keep these DTH’s working.

Now that they’ve released the documentation for the new mobile app there are a lot of ways I could fix it, but they’re all time consuming and I’ve already built a workaround into this handler.

Read my last 2 posts above…

1 Like

I just setup a new device handler with your latest code (1.3.1) and I’m using the new ST app. I then added my Dome Siren to the ST App. I can only see alarm type Off and Siren and strobe, and Battery. When I go to settings I only see Alarm length, Alarm LED flash, Comfort LED (x10 sec) , and Tamper alert. I don’t see any options for chime, etc. Any ideas why? I’ve deleted the device, readded the DH, and got the same results.