[OBSOLETE] Device Monitor - Get Notified if Devices Stop Reporting

It’s kinda sorta working. I got it in the system with only 1 device and no additional settings, but when I try to add other stuff, it gives me an error but at least the setting gets saved.

That is strange. I wonder if there are platform issues causing issues. Or maybe something with the new Android App release. I know there are some platform bugs causing Rule Machine to act strange. Could you look at the logs in the IDE when the error happens just so I can make sure there isn’t a bug that I missed?

Stupid question, but how do i check the logs?

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs

hmm, ok so no matter what errors I get on the app, nothing is actually showing up on the event logs. Am I doing something wrong?

Then most likely it is a platform timing out issue. Are you on wifi or cellular?

on cellular, i guess i can try when i get home. thanks!

I did a little digging. No source for the “Battery” app, but it’s listed in the IDE as installed on everyone’s hub. It alerts you whenever any device with a battery gets a low battery condition.

It seems only SmartThings can write code that can access all of a user’s devices, community code isn’t allowed to do that. It makes sense from a security standpoint.

Thanks again for your contribution!

1 Like

@erocm1231 - two changes you made that I’m curious we can easily resolve.

1. When devices come back online we don’t notify that, that occur
  2. (more important) When a 2nd (or more device) goes does the notification only says the new device not ALL currently down devices.

@justintime where do you see this battery app? Where in the ide?

Thanks!

There’s the BatteryMonitor SmartApp listed here: Battery issues
(in an ideal world, I’ve to see that one merged with this one, so I have one display of the status of all devices)

2 Likes

This looks like it should have the potential to be used to notify if mains power fails … e.g. by monitoring a ST outlet.

Great work!

Thank you for the app…

There might be a typo… runEvery3Hour() should be runEvery3Hours()

from the logs:

12:27:51 PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script14577167694831716278425.runEvery3Hour() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [eventCheck]
Possible solutions: runEvery1Hour(java.lang.Object), runEvery3Hours(java.lang.Object), runEvery1Hour(java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object), runEvery3Hours(java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object) @ line 432

1 Like

Thanks, app has been updated.

Thanks, that solved my error issue with the app too… lol

outstanding, I’m going to install this :slight_smile: is it possible to change your repo fork name to something other than SmartThingsPublic? I have 4 of these now - to find the correct repo I need to go to settings, find it, see which position it is in, cancel out, and then select that one.

understand this might break the link to folks who have already pulled from you - not sure.

I just renamed my repo in gitHub -
go to github

• pull down the icon in the top right → select Your Profile
  • select the repositories tab
  • select your fork
  • click settings
  • change name
  • click rename
    go to smart things IDE
    smart apps
  • select settings
  • update the name of your repo

@pascal If I change the repo fork name, will it break every link posted that links back to my device handlers & smartapps (as well as those who have linked to my repo through the ide)? I have the same problem as you so I understand. I have a list of the repo names on my computer that I reference. It isn’t elegant, but I think the really, really, simple solution is for SmartThings to list the authors name next to the repo name in the drop down list. So, erocm123: SmartThingsPublic (master). I know others would like that as well:

@craig 1) I could probably implement this pretty easily. I’ll look into it. 2) I have actually designed it to work that way. I didn’t like getting notifications with a bunch of devices listed that I already new about. I figured I could always open up the app and hit refresh if I needed to go back and remember what wasn’t reporting. Maybe I’ll add full notifications as an option down the road.

1 Like

The thread you referenced adding authors is a better solution as it would help globally.

It shouldn’t break anything if you rename it.

Check out my two posts here:

FAQ: Github Integration How to Add and Update from Repositories

1 Like

Nice App, I actually started working on something similar last night. I agree with GitHub integration, I have 4 projects that use SmartThingsPublic, so updating is like a guessing game.