[OBSOLETE] Device Monitor - Get Notified if Devices Stop Reporting

Same for me. I’ve had to turn off “Device Delayed” and “Device Not Reporting” notifications in the Device Monitor settings or else I’m being inundated with notifications. I now am relying exclusively on using ONLINE/OFFLINE status. I believe this issue has come up due to the change to the latest firmware release and how ST is now determining “Device Delayed” and “Device Not Reporting” states.

Maybe this?

Device offline monitoring service transition
Upon the launch of hub firmware 0.32.x (target fall 2020), the current cloud-based system for monitoring the status of Hub-connected devices will be replaced with a new service that runs locally on SmartThings hubs.

In my case, both the Device Monitor and the IDE are now reporting 'Devices Reporting (hours old) for the majority of my devices as many hours old. I’ve checked and most (not all) Z-Wave devices are not properly reporting (i.e., many hours old) but even some Zigbee devices are also not reporting correctly. It appears to me to be a brand-specific issue. For instance, all of my Jasco/GE Z-Wave devices and (Zigbee) Cree Bulbs are incorrectly reporting. This is not an inclusive analysis, but it’s a start.

1 Like

@erocm1231 Thank you very much for this smart app.

I’m trying it with a TP-link Kasa mini switch. I was able to get it to poll successfully and send me one notification that the device was online. However, I pulled the device from the wall (so it’s offline in Smartthings) and I haven’t received a notification that it’s offline or delayed (or anything else).

I’ve tried toggling a number of settings:

• inactivity timeout 1 hour
  • check at this interval: 1 hour–I’ve tried different intervals
  • send a push notification: yes
  • disable device delayed and not reporting notifications: no and also yes; doesn’t seem to do anything
  • notification if device comes back online: no and yes; no difference
  • use online/offline status if available: no and yes

I still don’t seem to get any notifications when the device is listed as offline in smart things.

Is it something with the settings that I’ve misconfigured?

there is a statement from Nuukem above that indicates a new local version of device status monitor was forth coming. The comment was posted Aug2020.

Are there any updates to this really situation after 6 months?

I recently installed this smartapp and I can’t get the offline notifications to work. However the back online notifications are working correctly. Does this smartapp still work? Does anyone currently use a smartapp similar that is working? Assuming this one maybe needs to be updated to restore full functionality.

@erocm1231 any comment? Thanks

I’m in the same boat as you are. Online reports with a notification. Offline, does not.

I don’t really maintain the app anymore. If you can post the logs of when the alert should be sent out then I might be able to figure it out.

I think I know what you’re requesting. When I get in front of a computer I’ll log into the IDE and see if I can find any kind of logs. Anything specific you need?

Just the logs for the Smart App. If you load up the logs in the IDE and disconnect the device, leave the screen up for the amount of time needed that a notification should be sent and see if there are any error messages.

This is what it looks like. At 6:04:52 it looks like it wants to send the notification for the device down, but it’s not happening. Then when I plug the device back in and it’s back online it registers at 6:24:52 and sends out the push notification and text message.

Can you post screenshots of all of your app settings? I just set up a new instance with a device and was able to get a notification when the device went offline.

I hope I’m not causing this problem by having something setup wrong. The only difference I see, is I’m sending a txt and push notification. Yours worked with just the push notification. Maybe with me doing both, it’s breaking something? Unless you see something wrong in my screenshots.

I tried omitting the SMS notification and just using the push notification and I’m still not getting an offline notification. Only getting the back online notification. I’m not sure why it works for you and doesn’t for me.

@erocm1231 I added a 2nd device and tested to see if I’d get a notification for device offline and I didn’t. So IDK why device offline alerts are working for you and not me.

I haven’t tested this, but from your screenshots it shows you are requesting only online / offline reports, but in the bottom section you don’t have online / offline reports selected. It is the very bottom option.

Under “other options”? I thought that pertained to the “hub” status only. I’ll turn it on and try it now.

@erocm1231 … Unfortunately I turned it on but it didn’t make a difference.

Ok, I think I found the problem and posted an update to github.

3 Likes

@erocm1231 Success! I now get a device delayed notification. Thanks for fixing it!

2 Likes

@erocm1231 Hi Eric - thanks for your great work and your support here!

I have very similar to issue to jpetrone above
I only set this up last week so it should be the latest edition of the code per your response above (of 21 days ago)

These are a pair of troublesome Shelly Door/Window Sensors that one or other is going Offline every few days or so; These do not constantly send info (to save battery power) but periodically awake to update status - in ST they show the last know state unless it changes (these also periodically report temp and some other options);
When the device loses communication however it goes ‘offline’ and that status is also reported as ‘Offline’ in ST (it does not normally show offline, even when it hasn’t reported any status update - only changes in ST when the Shelly App reports device as Offline)

When I first set up Device Monitor, I immediately got a couple of texts for device delayed (initially had the inactive timeout period set to one hour) - given the nature of how these devices work, I did not want constant texts for inactivity, only for a genuine ‘Offline’ condition; so I removed the 1hr under inactivity and left it blank.

All my other settings are the same as jpetrone posted above except
Inactivity Timeout (blank)
Check at this interval is 1 hr
Minimum time is 10 mins
Use Online/Offline Status is available is selected

This morning I had an offline event of one of the sensors - I did not get a notification
I re-enabled the sensor and that did bot report it was back online either.

Can you review and advise?
If you need further info please let me know how I can help you help me!

I don’t think the app works if you don’t fill in the delayed time. Even if it doesn’t use it. So just leave it set to 1 hour and make sure the other setting are correct to not get device delayed notifications.