[RELEASE] Low Battery Notification with Customizable Alert/Warning/Monitor, Configurable Thresholds and Device Monitoring Alerts

Looks like the recent platform outage may have crossed your account wires with someone else’s. Report it to ST support so they can investigate why the wires got crossed and like you’ve probably already done, it’s probably best to reset your SmartApp and select your devices again.

Just started happening again. What is odd is that the app is giving me notifications, but there is nothing showing up in the notification section of the app.

I got this today as well… a ton of notifications for low battery on items that are not mine.

Which makes me wonder, if you can get this shorted out, what else can show up from someone else’s account – or vice versa.

Yea, not getting any notifications from any other app… And like I said, I go into the notifications/messages in the app and I see none of those notifications…

I think it’s a mix-up on the Google cloud messaging side actually… or whatever they’re calling it now :slight_smile:

I just went through the IDE and I don’t actually have RBoy’s app installed – although I do have a few others from rboyapps.

So you think it is a coincidence that we are both seeing the same thing and no other app?

Might be however ST is routing notification events themselves…

I got a reply from ST support. They said they were aware of the issue and believe it has been fixed (yay)

1 Like

Starting a battery poll here, what battery brand works best for you and your devices:

AA/AAA (Alkaline)

• Duracell
  • Energizer
  • Ikea
  • Rayovac
  • Panasonic
  • ACDelco
  • Sony
  • AmazonBasics

0 voters

CR123 (Lithium)

• Duracell
  • Energizer
  • Tenergy
  • Streamlight
  • Panasonic
  • AmazonBasics

0 voters

Any time that I try to create or edit new Batty Monitor Rule, it doesn’t save the first time I click Save, and I have to do it again. It happens when select the devices to be monitored as part of any rule, and when I change the name of a rule.

You need to click the “Done key” (iOS) or the “Check Mark key” on your mobile keyboard every time you change any input field before you click the “Done”/“Save” button on the page other the ST app throw a page save error because the inputs are still being edited. i.e. the mobile keyboard should be hidden/gone before you click on the page “Done” or “Save” button on the page.

That’s a known bug with the ST Mobile App and no connection with the SmartApp.

2 Likes

Thoughts on adding to this a monitor for a device/s that hasn’t communicated in X number of days/hours (basically DEAD battery alert)?

Thought being that if the battery does die…then your sensor isn’t working. Had this happen to me on a very rarely used door.

2 Likes

Redacting my last post, apologies, I was just made aware that this feature was already implemented quite some time ago but has been disabled by default due to inherent issues with how the SmartThings platform works.

You can see @RBoy’s post here for more details as to why the feature has been disabled by default.

Having pointed that out, if you would like to enable the Battery Event Monitoring feature of the SmartApp, follow these 2 steps, in the code:

1. Look for the line UNCOMMENT THE NEXT 4 LINES TO ENABLE BATTERY REPORT MONITORING
  2. As it says, uncomment the next 4 lines (i.e. remove the leading // from lines 176-179), click Save and click Publish. Now you should be able to see the option to enable Battery Event Reporting in the SmartApp.

You can set the Number of days input and if the device does not send a battery status update for those many days the SmartApp will notify you.

However do read RBoy’s post above as to why enabling the Battery Event Reporting may not work reliably for devices which consume very little battery. It would be advisable to use this feature only for devices which consume atleast 1% battery every 10 days (and you’ll have to set your number of days to atleast 10 days in that case for it to work).

Hope this helps.

I’m running into an odd issue with this application. I have to enter the information twice for it to sticke.
Is anyone else seeing that?
Thanks.

Is there a way to see the current status of all the batteries that are being monitored?

I use a WebCore piston that sends me ans SMS report every morning

If you’re referring to a dashboard then I’d recommend ActionTiles (@tgauchat)

1 Like

Hi,

Just installed monitor. All went well with setup but I don’t have the screens you have pictured here. I’m sure I’m missing something. What do I need to do. Thanks ahead of time.

Those sample custom rules, you can create your own battery rules by clicking on + Define a new battery monitor rule. BTW those threshold are recommended “safe” thresholds based on our experience.

@maddie I’ve had the app installed for a while but wasn’t getting any alerts so I went in and the app indicated that there weren’t any saved rules. I then tried to create a few rules but couldn’t get it to save any rules.

I get two behaviors:

1. I set a threshold (15) and then select some devices but it never prompts me for a name for the rule. I’m not sure which devices cause this behavior but for sure I have noticed it with devices managed by LUM (using the DTH) from Schlage.
  2. I set a threshold (15) and select some devices (different ones) and I get the prompt for the name of the rule but when I save I get the standard “An unexpected error occurred” but I don’t see any error in the IDE but it does seem to save, at least for the short term.

I’m wondering if there has been a change in ST or something and if the app is no longer functional. Or if there are some devices that show up to monitor but you really can’t monitor them.

PM me if you want more details. Can you investigate? Thanks!

Sounds like your ST shard may be having an issue or has corrupted the app data.
I did a quick test here and I’m able to create/save/update rules and even get the low battery notification.
Try to uninstall the app wait for a day for ST to settle down and then reinstall it. ST has had some outages over the past few days on some NA shards.