[Release] [Closed] Google Assistant Relay V1 - Google Home Audio Notifications!

Same here, I had it all working with the older release for a few months now but all of a sudden yesterday it stopped working without anyone touching it.
I get the same screen where it all runs as expected but no announcements coming out from the Google home.
I did try to run the npm install but getting error there is no start command

I also tried to follow again from the beginning the installation but I see now that the SDK process is completely different and all the commands are for Linux based system only … :frowning:
Am I missing anything or Google changed the process completly and it cannot run on Windows host any longer?

I’m using Windows machines but so far no luck - tried to reinstall on 2 different machines all results with errors all over the place complaining about Python not exist (Although it is installed on both machines with variables set etc.). The old Google relay that was working before still run but I initiate it not sound comes from any of the GHs (The usual “Relay Assistant is running”) or any other set notifications.
Its really seems like someone changed something somewhere - maybe Google?

Hey all,

On holiday at the moment so can’t check, back next week.

My assumption here is that Google have done something, probably disabled the broadcast command from the SDK for some reason.

I did notice that the library I’m using has been updated, so could be that too.

Will investigate when I’m back.

1 Like

I can confirm that my Gassistpi project has also stopped working. I mean it’s broadcast ability is no longer working so it might be disabled by google.

I think it still works, but Google changed how it works with the SDK.

If anyone that knows Node wants to try,

Remove the google-assistant package from the config file, and then readd it using npm i google-assistant

Like with everything else in life, you start appreciate how good and useful it was once it’s gone… that apply to this lovely pice of software

I’m trying that now. I was able to uninstall the module but installing is giving me grief…

pi@raspberrypi:~/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay $ /opt/nodejs/bin/npm install -i google-as sistant

grpc@1.11.3 install /home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc
node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build --library=static_library

node-pre-gyp WARN Tried to download(403): https://storage.googleapis.com/grpc-precompiled-binaries /node/grpc/v1.11.3/node-v59-linux-arm-glibc.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp WARN Pre-built binaries not found for grpc@1.11.3 and node@9.11.1 (node-v59 ABI, glib c) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)

Compile from source eventually fails in the following manner:

In file included from …/ext/call.cc:26:0:
…/ext/call.h:106:8: error: ‘AsyncResource’ in namespace ‘Nan’ does not name a type
Nan::AsyncResource async_resource;
^
In file included from …/ext/call.cc:27:0:
…/ext/call_credentials.h:82:8: error: ‘AsyncResource’ in namespace ‘Nan’ does not name a type
Nan::AsyncResource async_resource;
^
…/ext/call_credentials.h: In constructor ‘grpc::node::plugin_callback_data::plugin_callback_data(const char
, grpc_credentials_plugin_metadata_cb, void
)’:
…/ext/call_credentials.h:71:9: error: class ‘grpc::node::plugin_callback_data’ does not have any field named ‘async_resource’
async_resource(NULL) {
^
…/ext/call_credentials.h:73:5: error: ‘async_resource’ was not declared in this scope
async_resource = new Nan::AsyncResource(“grpc:plugin_callback_data”);
^
…/ext/call_credentials.h:73:26: error: expected type-specifier
async_resource = new Nan::AsyncResource(“grpc:plugin_callback_data”);
^
…/ext/call_credentials.h: In destructor ‘grpc::node::plugin_callback_data::~plugin_callback_data()’:
…/ext/call_credentials.h:76:12: error: ‘async_resource’ was not declared in this scope
delete async_resource;
^
…/ext/call.cc: In constructor ‘grpc::node::tag::tag(Nan::Callback*, grpc::node::OpVec*, grpc::node::Call*, v8::Localv8::Value)’:
…/ext/call.cc:450:7: error: class ‘grpc::node::tag’ does not have any field named ‘async_resource’
async_resource(NULL),
^
…/ext/call.cc:454:3: error: ‘async_resource’ was not declared in this scope
async_resource = new Nan::AsyncResource(“grpc:tag”); // Needs handle scope.
^
…/ext/call.cc:454:24: error: expected type-specifier
async_resource = new Nan::AsyncResource(“grpc:tag”); // Needs handle scope.
^
…/ext/call.cc: In destructor ‘grpc::node::tag::~tag()’:
…/ext/call.cc:460:10: error: ‘async_resource’ was not declared in this scope
delete async_resource;
^
…/ext/call.cc: In function ‘void grpc::node::CompleteTag(void*, const char*)’:
…/ext/call.cc:476:41: error: ‘struct grpc::node::tag’ has no member named ‘async_resource’
callback->Call(2, argv, tag_struct->async_resource);
^
…/ext/call.cc:479:41: error: ‘struct grpc::node::tag’ has no member named ‘async_resource’
callback->Call(1, argv, tag_struct->async_resource);
^
grpc_node.target.mk:161: recipe for target ‘Release/obj.target/grpc_node/ext/call.o’ failed
make: *** [Release/obj.target/grpc_node/ext/call.o] Error 1
make: Leaving directory ‘/home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc/build’
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/opt/nodejs/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:258:23)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:180:13)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:209:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.9.35-v7+
gyp ERR! command “/opt/nodejs/bin/node” “/opt/nodejs/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js” “build” “–fallback-to-build” “–library=static_library” “–module=/home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v59-linux-arm-glibc/grpc_node.node” “–module_name=grpc_node” “–module_path=/home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v59-linux-arm-glibc” “–napi_version=3” “–node_abi_napi=napi”
gyp ERR! cwd /home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc
gyp ERR! node -v v9.11.1
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.6.2
gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute ‘/opt/nodejs/bin/node /opt/nodejs/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --library=static_library --module=/home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v59-linux-arm-glibc/grpc_node.node --module_name=grpc_node --module_path=/home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v59-linux-arm-glibc --napi_version=3 --node_abi_napi=napi’ (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess. (/home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:180:13)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:936:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:220:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Linux 4.9.35-v7+
node-pre-gyp ERR! command “/opt/nodejs/bin/node” “/home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp” “install” “–fallback-to-build” “–library=static_library”
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v9.11.1
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.10.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute ‘/opt/nodejs/bin/node /opt/nodejs/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --library=static_library --module=/home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v59-linux-arm-glibc/grpc_node.node --module_name=grpc_node --module_path=/home/pi/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v59-linux-arm-glibc --napi_version=3 --node_abi_napi=napi’ (1)
npm WARN assistant-relay@1.0.1 No repository field.

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! grpc@1.11.3 install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build --library=static_library
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the grpc@1.11.3 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2018-05-18T05_23_52_516Z-debug.log
pi@raspberrypi:~/assistant-relay-master/assistant-relay $

Try deleting node modules and doing npm i

I deleted the /assistant-relay/node_modules/google-assistant folder and reinstalled it using npm i google-assistant

I didn’t solved the issue.

Should I delete the whole /assistant-relay/node_modules/ folder and reinstall using npm i ?

Yes, try that although I’m not hopeful

Greg:

When you’re back and look into this, and if there is a fix, those of us still on the old version will be eternally grateful if there will be a way to patch that version as well (editing existing files or whatever).

<on knees, hands raised in supplication>

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree, my heart would rejoice if such fix would be provided for us meek ones.

I was able to get the google-assistant package updated successfully.

pi@raspberrypi:~/assistant-relay $ sudo npm install -i google-assistant
npm WARN assistant-relay@1.0.1 No repository field.

+ google-assistant@0.2.2
updated 1 package in 26.205s

╭─────────────────────────────────────╮
   │                                     │
   │   Update available 5.6.0 → 6.0.1    │
   │     Run npm i -g npm to update      │
   │                                     │
   ╰─────────────────────────────────────╯

But I was still unable to get the audio feedback when I started assistant-relay or when I issued a command from Postman. So, it looks like it definitely needs to be fixed on the google side.

If you know node, take a look at the assistant SDK lib I’m using. It’s at the bottom of my readme. It might be that he’s changed the way commands are called

There were a bunch of changes committed on May 9th. But I fail to see how that would break anything that we already had installed. The only thing that makes sense is that something changed on the Google Backend which I would have no way of knowing and no idea where to look for it. And no, I don’t know node at all. So anything I’m doing there is just updating versions and whatnot. But nothing seems to be working of what I’m trying. Oh well. I’ve gone back to cast-web for now. If you’re able to get it up and running with a new version, definitely re-post. Till then, I’ve wasted literally days of my time trying to get this working and even more countless days helping others get it working. I’m all done for now. Best of luck

1 Like

Something seems wrong on google side as broadcasting using assistant app (where you type) doesn’t work anymore either.

It’s been identified as a bug on Google’s side. I believe they’re working on a fix

8 Likes

Just so everyone is aware…

Google has fixed the text input for broadcasting from the Assistant directly, however it is still broken for the SDK implementation.
This isn’t just affecting my app, but every app that uses the Assistant SDK.

Still waiting on a fix

9 Likes