[RELEASE] Door Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors

Introducing Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors, get notified!

If you’ve ever wanted know when a door/window is opened, someone tampers with your things, when someone leaves/arrives, when things are turned on/off, this app can ring a Chime, alert you by sending SMS’s, push notifications, playing audio files and even speak custom messages over your Alexa, Sonos, Bose and compatible devices.

See below for a detailed list of features

Key Features (independently for each rule):

• Create upto 500 rules to monitor sensors and send notifications
  • Supports monitoring the following types of sensors
    • Buttons (with button selection when available)
    • Presence (arrive/leave)
    • Switches (on/off)
    • Locks (locked, unlocked, jammed)
    • Contact (open/closed)
    • Garage doors (open/closed)
    • Motion
    • Water
    • Carbon Monoxide
    • Smoke
    • Momentary
    • Tamper
    • Acceleration/vibration
  • Supports the following types of notifications
    • Chimes/Tone
    • SMS (multiple)
    • Push notifications
    • Play custom/preset audio files (Sonos, Bose etc)
    • Speaking (Sonos, Bose etc)
    • Set volume for spoken messages
    • Create a custom messages for each rule
    • Use variables in custom messages to identify devices names, rule names, status etc (see app for details)
    • Set repeat notifications reminder (minutes)
    • Send notifications after X minutes
    • Option to check triggered sensors and notify on mode change
    • Force trigger a recheck for all rules (tap arrow icon next to SmartApp name in the Classic app)
  • Support operating restrictions for each rule
    • Define operating modes
    • Define up to 3 daily/weekly schedules with start/end times

and lots more. See our website for details.

Installation Instructions

You can find step by step installation instructions here

FAQ’s

How to setup a notification after X minutes

• Open the Chimes & Notifications page
  • At the bottom of the page enter X minutes in the Notify every (minutes) option and then enable the Skip initial notification option as show here

Chime Devices

Here are some devices which can work as chime with Tone capabilities

Spoken/Audio Devices

NOTES:

• Most ZigBee keypads and the Ring Alarm Keypad support reporting Button triggers
  • For speaking, the device must support playing Audio Files or Text to Speech. E.g. Sonos, Bose etc

If you have any requests or suggestions feel free to send them to us.

Check Out These Other SmartApps

This app is available on the RBoy Apps Server

Visit our website for more details and to get access to all our apps.

Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps: http://www.facebook.com/RBoySTApps

(c) RBoy Apps

9 Likes

Thank you. I had been going crazy trying to figure out a webcore script that I accidentally deleted the announcement part for doors and windows and couldn’t get it to work again.

This made it so simple.

1 Like

Thanks for another great app. I did however find an issue with using a multi-button device such as a walmote. The app doesn’t allow a particular button to be pressed. Keep up the great apps.

1 Like

Would be great to see notifications for Door Locks - Lock/Unlock brought into this SmartApp like in User Unlock/Lock Door Notifications and Actions

1 Like

Morning RBoy,

Got really excited when i saw this. Was hoping there might be a Doorbell sound option to play through Alexa’s. I have a Push Button hacked to the terminals of a Nest Hello via a 12v mechanical relay. Would love to have the Echos around the house set off a Door Bell Chime.

I do have Echo Speaks installed and working so I can get a voice notification.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks

Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors - version 01.01.00

• Added support for monitoring locks (locked, unlocked and jammed notifications)
  • Added support for selecting button numbers on multi-button devices (when supported by device handler)
1 Like

Is there a way to choose which type of chime that plays? I have the Dome siren and it has multiple sounds that it could play.

SmartThings doesn’t allow for different chime tones in a single device, just has one command per device. If your chime support different sounds, you will need to configure it in the DTH.

If you’re using kevin’s DTH for your Dome siren, it has a custom workaround which allows to select which chime to play via the speech synthesis API’s of the DTH. You can use the same strategy in this app, in the Speak notifications, select your Dome Chime device and enter a Custom notification message which corresponds to the name of the chime as documented in the DTH. Examples: bell2, chime3, siren1

If you’re doing this then obviously you can’t use the same rule for your Dome Siren and Alexa (Echo Speaks). If you want both at the same time, then setup 2 rules with the same settings, one which speaks through the Dome Siren while the other speaks through Alexa.

2 Likes

Great! Thank you for this work around.

1 Like

Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors - version 01.02.00

• Added support for motion sensors
2 Likes

I assume that “Operating Schedules and Modes” applies to individual rules and not to the entire system?

Also, any chance to get volume control in here for media devices. I’m using echo speaks and love that I can send a msg through echos, but there are a couple that I’d like to adjust the volume for in case one of the kids left it on max. Ideally, individual control (so I wouldn’t need 10 different rules), but I’d take global for now.

Thanks!

Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors - version 01.02.01

• Added support for custom volumes for Alexa/Sonos/Spoken devices (Audio Notification) (each rule)

Yes, please see the first post

Note that Echo Speaks has a minor bug in it’s custom volume API, I’ve submitted a patch for it to the author

2 Likes

That was fast!! Thank you team.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I’m probably not the only one that would love one more notification feature based on a trigger. I’ve had some webcore stuff for some time but I absolutely love the simplicity of this app. My suggestion is to add the ability to momentarily flash (if supported) or adjust the color of certain lights. I use this so that if I’m watching TV and I don’t hear my dot, a lamp turns red for a few seconds and then back to previous state. I realize the challenge as some lights have different color controls. I’ve struggled with capturing state of my hue b smart bulbs and getting them back to the right color.

I know this was not the overall intention for this smartapp, but I think it would be a very welcome enhancement for more than just myself. Thanks for the hard work on this!

Question, haven’t installed the app yep by when using echos for voice announcements.

1. Is it just chimes or can there be a custom message?

2. Are/can the echos be synchronized to all speak at one time? Nothing more frustrating than a house full of echos speaking a few milliseconds off from each other.

Hi there,

1. Both, chimes and a custom message which is announced over Alexa or Sonos and/or pushed via a SMS + push notifications. You can find a detailed list of features in the first post for details
  2. You can announce on multiple devices but there is now way to guarantee the latency since it’s in the cloud

Thanks, hit up Anthony @tonesto7 over at Echo Speaks . Maybe he be willing to share some code or features he uses to broadcast / announce synchronously across echo’s…

@itcsburnett
“unless i did something wrong, the @RBoy app didnt work how i intended… I need something that when a mode is set or a vSwitch is flipped, I want something to monitor specific sensors and alert me if something is open.”

Can you please elaborate on what didn’t work ? I was going to use the app to get around the issues of Echo Speaks and webCoRE not playing well together.

So what I wanted was if a door or window isn’t shut when I go into Night Mode, I wanted an alert telling me which sensor was open. This app seems to only alert if a sensor opens WHILE in night mode.

I did successfully get a webcore piston to monitor for any of my sensors being open at the time I switch to night mode so it works perfectly. It announces on all three of the Echos as I hoped for.

Two things, I’m sure that’s a feature easily added by @RBoy and secondly depending on which location @SmartThings has you on. you only get up to 4 or 5 echo’s on webCoRE before its fails to load the dashboard.

@RBoy, I haven’t installed the app yet due to time but I was also looking for a feature (you might already have it coded) that might can take care of my request and the one above.

So: could you add a repeated reminder at interval x (possibly a variable)? For example when the door is unlocked, I get a notification that “The front door is unlocked .” On my echos. Then at every interval of x minutes I get a repeated reminder “The front has been unlocked for x minutes”

In case we miss the first reminder watching GOT reruns…

2 Likes

Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors - version 01.03.00

• Added ability to set repeat notifications timer (minutes) for triggered sensors
  • Added ability to check for triggered sensors on a mode change
  • Added ability to manually initiate a check of all defined rules using the ST Classic app (tap the arrow button next to the name of the SmartApp)
4 Likes