[RELEASE] cast-web v1.2.1 - Chromecast Integration (EDGE Driver discussion begins in post 1668)

Ok, question on setup. I’ve followed the instructions and have the graphical interface on a windows 10 device. On that device if I go to my IP with my port number I see {“castWebApi”:“v1.2.1”} which I think is probably a good sign :slight_smile:

I’ve added the DTH handlers and added the smart app, when I follow the steps on section 4 “Done - First Steps” I get stuck on step 3. Here’s the page of the instructions I’m following.

The am trying to add the smart app from the new connect smart things app on my phone, when I add the smart app I’m sent to the config screen but there is no where I can see that I can add the IP address for the server.

this is what I see on the screen. If I click Test API connection it just tells me to wait for a response that never comes. I’m assuming because it doesn’t know where to look.

What am I doing wrong? I would imagine I should be adding the IP address somewhere and the directions lead me to think that too, but I cannot see where to set it.

Thanks in advance.

Please try setting up using the classic app instead of the new one. It usually solves most problems people have with setup.

That did the trick, thanks.

Hi not sure if one has something similar or any idea but I currently have the following.
ST sensor at the entrance of my house
Reolink cast enabled IP camera
Nest home ( I can cast my reolink by saying cast front door),

I already have webcore and cast web setup and working to announce front door is open ECT.

I would like to automatically cast my entrance camera when my ST sensor detects motion. If that possible

1 Like

Check out this Cast ALl Things project. Sounds like itt should be able to cast your camera. I haven’t tried this myself, let me know how it goes if you set it up.

1 Like

I am doing this using webcore and Assistant Relay which has catt (as @David_Van suggested) built into it, it’s pretty slick.

1 Like

Looks perfect for what I need

Hello all,
I am trying to install this on my Fire Tablet, but it never “Starts”; I am new to working with node.js, so I am not even sure what to search for to find help!
I get the following errors on install:

Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Tried to do this but still stalls at Starting cast-web-api. I’m using a mac if it makes any difference.

Just to be clear, I’m getting a 127.0.0.1:3000 so I followed your advise in that quoted statement.

@caked Were you able to figure out the fix for the device timeout issue? I’m getting the same error on a Mac, searched for the error and your post came up :slight_smile:

I understand that it’s not possible to remove the tone generated prior to playback of a TTS,
but is it possible to delay the speech for perhaps 1 or 2 seconds? The tone overlaps the start of a speech which sometimes makes it a little difficult to hear the first word. Thanks.

Is there a way to use cast-web-api to send a command to the google homes? I can do so with google assistant relay, but it seems like you can only do 1 command per piston ( I could be wrong on this). I’d like to send commands to the google home as if I were speaking to it, as I have a couple devices that are not recognized in smart things but are in google home. Then I could take advantage of some of those devices.

For instance when I turn on my TV which is connected to smart things, with GAR I’ve been able to send “turn on the xbox” to google home and have the xbox turn on when the tv turns on. However, I’ve never been able to get webcore to change the TV Input, but a command through google home can. If I can pass 2 commands, I can get both things to happen. I’ve tried combining them into one command for google assistant to process but didn’t have any luck.

The way GAR works from what I can tell, you have to use variables and one of the variables has to be command. I tried calling a second command variable called command2, but nothing ever started with that command on the google home. So long story short I’m hoping cast-web-api can send commands. I’m running both in my setup right now, and am broadcasting either by GAR or cast-web depending on what my needs are.

1 Like

I had this working for a year or so and it was great. Today I was having issues with smartthings so I factory reset it and re added all of my devices. I resetup cast-web-api and I can only see 1 device (I have 4 devices (2 chromecasts and 2 home minis). The device i see is just the cast manager itself. I do not see any of the actual devices. If I create an automation to announce something when a door is opened and select the one visible device nothing happens.

Previously when I installed cast-web-api it added 5 devices (1 manager and 4 devices). Any idea how I can get this working ? Thanks!

Figured out where I went wrong for anyone that might have done what I did!

I only added 1 device handler instead of 2. I must have skipped that step in the instructions. After removing everything again and reinstalling from scratch it works great.

Did you ever solve it? I’m having the same issue… I can see the server is running in chrome… But I when I go in the smartapp and test API connection nothing happens…

I think my network stack on my windows machine got hosed. I had to go to settings and reset my network. Try to ping your computer hosting the API from another device in the network. I think the network reset fixed it for me but at the end if the day the windows based solution kept failing every few weeks.

I switched to a raspberry pi last year and it’s been rock solid since.

Also, smartthings and Google home are going through major changes in the background so don’t rule that out.

I will try… I’m running on a pi at the moment … but just switched to Google nest wifi… The problem might be there somewhere… I will just make a new install if all other fails… have been running for 2 month without any drop outs…

Hi, Hope some one can advise, my stupidity.
So I believe it is all installed, i have cast web api running on a pc that stays on 24/7; I have cast web and service manager installed on ST and devices found. all good so far…
How do i know get annoucements or my own mp3 files to play through the device, so door unlock play device great, but no sound, what am I missing or not actioned. any help appreciated.

Hey @vervallsweg, recently had to set this up again and noticed that ST is REALLY making an effort right now to decommission the Classic app. In the new ST app, the Cast Web Service Manager smart app is missing the field where you can set the IP address of the server. It will eventually be an issue if we need to reconfigure/reinstall and they take the classic app away from us.

Any thoughts on why the IP address doesn’t show in the new app?