[RELEASE] cast-web v1.2.1 - Chromecast Device Handler & SmartApp

how did you fix this? having the same issue

If this was in reply to my post, I have yet to fix it. Hoping someone here can help…

Ok, here’s a question I’d like answered!

I’ll have music playing (Spotify, usually, over my Google homegroup). Then a webCoRE piston will fire and tell me, over a few (but occasionally not all) of my individual devices (I do not use groups for cast-web) that there’s someone in the driveway, or a door is open, etc. My question: How do I get music (or whatever the device and/or group was doing) to resume???

Ooof. I went through the video to do the Google Assistant Integration (https://vervallsweg.github.io/cast-web/google-assistant-integration/)
and I got through it all… But…

How does it… GO? How does it DO? Do I change my webCoRE? How do I take advantage of this newfound thing I’ve done? I see it ONLY works on cast-web-api, not my individual devices, does that mean that if I do a piston to “speak” that every device will speak, and then resume?

My understanding is that the only way is to setup the Google Assistant integration. The issue is that its only going to be a broadcast so that means ALL of your devices no way to direct the message. If that’s not a problem then that would work the best.

Derp just saw your follow up…

I haven’t set it up, but I believe like you said its only on the main device as its only for broadcasting. You could maybe setup separate “homes” but I think that’s going to be messy and would probably break other things.

This is a limitation of Google Home and what Google allows us to do unfortunately. You could get minis to put all over your house that are mic muted so they only play notifications… I’m mostly kidding lol

Ok, so it’s not the END of the world - I’ll just need to remove the Google device from my bedroom! I have a kitchen display/device, a living room device, a home office device, a hallway device, a basement mudroom device, and a studio (i’m an artist) device. And a bedroom device, but I guess not any more!

So I just use “cast-web-api:… speak THIS IS A TEST” and after every device speaks the text, it’ll resume whatever it’s doing?

No. Just make an audio group with the speakers you want to broadcast to. Then use that group for broadcasts from anything (sthm, webcore, bigtalker, any smartapp…)

Imo the Google assistant API broadcast is useless, the cast API provides more granular control.

I admit to being a bit confused now. I have 11 devices, I can used webcore and make any or some or all to speak text.

I can’t figure out how to make music that was playing and stopped for the spoken text, continue playing.

I thought doing the Google Assistant Integration thing would allow me to do that, but from a previous post I would have to use cast-web-api "thing"only, which would allow all devices to speak text and continue music.

So you’re saying I can do it with created Google home groups? What do I need to do differently?

Using cast API will interrupt your music. You could use webcore to start playing again but it can only play local media streams I think.

For me it’s worth having everything broadcast in uniform to the speakers I select and at the appropriate volume. If it interrupts my Spotify music I just tell Google to play music after the broadcast is done.

If your biggest concern is automatically resuming media after a broadcast, asistant API is the way to go. I just hate how it “broadcasts” because it plays on each speaker at different times, so it sounds like an echo if you have a house full of speakers…

Haha yes, yes it does. I don’t yet have groups for cast-web, just individual devices, so when I select a bunch for webCoRE… LOL yep, echoes. I honestly don’t mind it, though.

So you’ve created different groups containing different speakers, and let cast-web-api’s app “discover” them. If you have a few different groups - how do you identify which one’s are which in the SmartThings part - renaming them?

I don’t even know how to do this part.

I want this - I don’t know how to make this happen.

Ha sorry to derail you, it sounds like assistant API is what fits your need. You should be able to broadcast messages to the " cast-web-api" device, that should use the assistant API.

Honestly I never got that part to work. I was able to use the assistant API using a different smartapp that only uses the assistant API

So I do exactly as I do now with individual devices, except instead I use the cast-web-api (in webcore) and like magic the music will resume after it speaks? I can live with all speakers… speaking. I’ll give it a shot. I wonder if I use speak, speak and resume, or other…

Just use speak and it works.
However, if you use it often, you will come across a hard limit on broadcasts that Google set some time ago discovered by other users.
So if you start testing and it suddenly stops working, it means you reached the limit.

Oh great, thank you! That limit - is it daily, weekly, monthly, lifetime? Any way to see where I’m at in it?

Hi! im trying to use this feature for a simple doorbell (Button press plays mp3) but im having trouble using my Google Nest hub to play the sound. It works with both my google nest minis but not with the nest hub. Does this require any extra work to play sounds? The log doesnt show any errors, all three events (two minis vs hub) have the same lines without any errors.

im also curious as to the hard limit mentioned by @MrPancake . would a seldomly used doorbell hit that cap?

That cap is only for broadcasts, so if you are playing an mp3 I believe it wouldn’t be affected.

And regarding the limit, I don’t know what it is, I only know it exists.

Is there anyway to run this on Synology DSM and or Docker ? Would be perfect for my 24/7, NAS

I couldn’t figure it out.

Manged to install on my Synology NAS which saved me running any VMS. Had to double check the check list as it was working. I missed a device handler. Now it works great

Hello,

I tried installing the web api on an old Raspberry Pi B - that failed, I think the cpu is too outdated for that purpose.

So I tried to install it on an (not outdated) Android device following the instructions, but that also failed with an error message. (Searching Github I found out that I’m not the only one facing this issue…) Did anyone make the same experience and can tell me how to get it running?

Furthermore I consider buying a Raspberry Pi Zero W.
So my question is: Did anyone get this running on a Pi Zero W without any issues?

Thanks in advance and best regards!