[RELEASE] cast-web v1.2.1 - Chromecast Device Handler & SmartApp

I’m having issues discovering devices. I installed cast-web using the gui option on a Windows 10 machine. I’m able to do a successful test connection using the smartapp in smartthings. But I can’t discover my devices. I even tried disabling the firewall on the PC.

Smarthings IDE log shows that the device list comes back empty as well. Anybody have a successfull windows 10 installation.

Edit: Got android to work. But need it to work on Windows. Anyone available to offer some help?

Edit2: Nevermind got it working on Windows 10 as well.

Can I get Cast Web API to send a command “ok, google show me my front door” to one off my Google home hub when I bypass a motion sensor?

any update on android app?

No, it doesn’t work that way. You want to look at Google Assistant Relay

Zero luck with Google assistant on Raspbian. /assistant page gives {“assistant”:false,“ready”:false}

Edit: got it running in the end. It seems it keeps displaying “false” until you actually use it.

1 Like

Yes you can - if you are using webCoRE.

When creating a new piston, define a variable called ‘message’ (this must be exactly - message, and nothing else) and enter this as the value - ‘cast {cameraName} to {homeHubName}’.

Replace the {cameraName} with the name of your nest camera and replace {homeHubName} with the name of your Google Home Hub.

Then:-

When motion sensor changes to active
Make a web request to http://x.x.x.x:yyyy/assistant/command
Set Method to POST
Set Request body type to JSON
Set Send Variables to your ‘message’ variable you created earlier.

Your home hub should now cast the live stream to your home hub. The only problem with this, is you can’t stop the cast by doing the similar action (using the stop command). You will need to actually speak to the home hub to stop it.

Still trying to figure out why. Maybe @vervallsweg might know why :slight_smile:

Wow,

Thanks, I will try that! Many thanks for the input. When it comes to the stop command I can live with that, or can I!? :grin:

/Thekholm

I am having same trouble with iMac. How did you resolve yours? Never-mind I got it working. I didn’t have correct IP address.

1 Like

Glad you got it working!

I understand that I can’t initiate spotify. But, if Spotify is already playing, can I use the app to change the volume or skip tracks? Particularly in WebCore.

Just tried this and it was able to stop the cast.

1 Like

when you type this into a browser you get a 404?

Yes it does. It won’t find the devices even though if you go through the logs and shows them but days denied or something

Ian Smith

Realtor®, ABR, BBM

Managing Associate Broker / Sales Partner

Cowan-Smith Home Selling

Coldwell Banker Supercity Realty

902-430-5610

What version of Cast Web do you have installed and which DTH are you using in ST? There were changes to the directory structure between the older and newer versions. You might have a miss-matched set and that’s why it’s not able to find the page when you go to the ip:port. To be clear, when you do, the server will only return the currently running version.
You have to use the correct directory if you are going to issue commands to the server.

As far as I know the most current version. I had the older version but I deleted the handler and app and reinstalled both I thought it ST

Ian Smith

Realtor®, ABR, BBM

Cowan-Smith Home Selling

902-430-5610

What about on the server side? Did you install the latest version? Via which method do you do that? And the you are getting the 404 when you go to the root of the server/port combo?

I the gui installed via exe and tried the JSON install by command prompt.

When I type the address and port into browser it gives me {“castWebApi”:“v1.2.1”}

Weird part is of you go through the log I posted it sees them but doesn’t give me access to them and therefor don’t show up in the device list when I search for them via app

Ian Smith

Realtor®, ABR, BBM

Cowan-Smith Home Selling

902-430-5610

@vervallsweg i know we need the service manager (mine is running dorie on an old andrid phone) to find the deveices on the network, but once we have thier ip address why cant smartthings send commands to the directly? that way we only need the service manager to add devices

I can get this working and i have big talker 2 provide the voice notifications for various things. I can not however get the Talking alarm clock smartapp to provide any notifications or sounds to the chromecast speakers. I am unsure if this is an issue with the cast-web smart app or the talking alarm clock smartapp, but i noticed that others have been successful in gettin the two to work together. Any ideas on why this would not work?

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.