The consideration for hard coding the IP did cross my mind as I was falling asleep this am…(though not necessarily how and where to do it), but at the end of the day, that’s a hack that, even if I successfully did that, I might find that my newly-hard-addressed Shield was actively refusing port connections, or…who knows? --and the saga would continue.
So I found a guy on Craigslist who lives 3 miles away and has a brand new in box V2 he’ll let go for cheap. Picking it up this morning, and fingers crossed.
I’m actually adding a new Lutron controller into the mix this weekend and moving a bunch of my lamps and dimmers to other devices anyway, so I guess it’s as good a time as any to start over. I’m just sweating bullets about my pool controller! --But that was the very first thing I ever did with ST, and I didn’t know anything about this stuff then…so maybe it won’t be so bad this time around.
Thanks for all your help, @Matt_Behnken! I’ll definitely let you know if this solves it!
P.S. Just under that post you linked, people say it looks like the latest firmware solved the issue…but I think they’re talking about the port blocking issue–which maybe it has. That’s what the release notes say. They don’t mention anything about the 0.0.0.0 IP address issue, which I clearly still have after that listed update AND another…so perhaps that fix really never is coming. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter for the operation of most things–I have many DTHs and smartapps and things that are talking via WiFi and web, etc. But for things like this that are merely talking over the LAN, it seems like a fatal flaw.