[RELEASE] cast-web v1.2.1 - Chromecast Integration (EDGE Driver discussion begins in post 1668)

That works?? Sure, will add that :joy:

Have some logs? Set the log level to 4 in the service manager, go to the smarthings ide > live logging. Keep the window open and try adding your devices again.

If I remember correctly this one was fineā€¦ this is what happens if a device that is not a chromecast response to the mdns query. The script then obviously cannot get the chromecast info from whatever that device is and logs this message.

Yeah thats the callback not working. Basically messages are going from ST to cast-web-api but not back. Theres a faq on that: My devices are only called 'cast-web-device' - cast-web

1 Like

Thereā€™s a beta version of cast-web v1.1 out in the wild that has support for the google assistant :shushing_face:

1 Like

That means that the ST hub is trying to access 10.0.0.21:3000/device and receives no answer. Check your network configā€¦

Yup, thats the terrible old mdns library I used. I completely rewrote the mdns stuff and built my own library for that. Would have released it long time a go but the new google assistant integration is still giving me a headacheā€¦

Currently Iā€™m thinking about removing the google assistant stuff from v.1.1 and readding it with a later version when itā€™s perfect.

Hi vervallsweg, do you think is possible run your code using a cldou service?

Cloudno.de offer for free a box to run a node.js app.

Iā€™m not an expert at all , but i would like to have TTS without using a third device like Raspberry.

Can you please check it?

Thanks
L

Sadly it isnā€™t. Chromecast communication is only in lan. Unless you basically expose every chromecast outside your lan, you can only communicate with them in your home network. Sure somehow you can hack that together but it would be really insecure and not good solution.
Your only hope is 1: ST allows more code execution on the hub (I donā€™t see that happening, who know if the hub apis will be around a year from now) 2: Google might allow cloud control of chromecast devices.

Personally I believe google is hard at work on that. They added the ability to launch receivers and media playback from the cloud already, sadly not public, internal google only. Having full playback control from the cloud would be the next logical step. Check out the new Google Home app, it is basically like ST. And in all honesty as soon as the Googleā€™s Home app is a decent smart home platform, Iā€™ll be leaving ST.
The complete lack of any communication about new hub apis is just unacceptable. Googles Smarthome stuff is better documented then ST right nowā€¦ or what feels like over a year now.

2 Likes

ThAnk you for your answer Tobias you are a very kind person

2 Likes

The best would be to allow DLNA capabilities

Thanks, I tried everything mentioned in the FAQ. Iā€™ve also disabled the firewall on my API host, router firewall and tried different ports. Do you know how others have resolved this?

Hallelujah I got it to work!! Turns out my second NIC must have been causing issues, I disabled it even though it wasnt being used by anything and sure enough everything fell into place.

1 Like

Thank you! Simple thing. My SmartThings hub was in front of my mesh network on different network. Fixed it.

1 Like

You mean that Google adds DLNA to the chromecasts/ google homes?

Yes it is, thatā€™s the best solution. In this way you can use a DH already working for generic wifi speakers

2 Likes

Just looking at this for the first time.
I have multiple Google Home devices that I think could be coerced into ā€˜speakingā€™ or making a preset sound from Smartthings. Can anyone confirm this is possible?
If this is, does anyone have a link for an instal package of node.js that I can install on Windows 8. I have a ?NUC that runs Blue Iris video software and Iā€™m thinking that this device could also run Node.JS and act as the necessary fixed ip relay device?

All help appreciated.

Yes thats possible with cast-web. Install instructions (including windows) are available on the project website: Installation - overview - cast-web

Thatā€™s great.
This looks really straightforward.
Look forward to playing with this.
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hi I am getting the following on windowsā€¦

cast-web-api v1.0.2
Discovering devices, please wait...
... done!
events.js:167
      throw er; // Unhandled 'error' event
      ^

Error: listen EADDRINUSE 192.168.0.106:3000
    at Server.setupListenHandle [as _listen2] (net.js:1286:14)
    at listenInCluster (net.js:1334:12)
    at doListen (net.js:1460:7)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:63:19)
Emitted 'error' event at:
    at emitErrorNT (net.js:1313:8)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:63:19)