[RELEASE] cast-web v1.2.1 - Chromecast Integration (EDGE Driver discussion begins in post 1668)

All 11 devices found, happy camper again :slight_smile:
Many thanks!

2 Likes

While playing with webCoRe trying to create simple piston that would announce when door is opened , is there way to resume playback of content that was casted to GH? I tried Speak and resume, but the cast from tune in just getā€™s cut off and will not resume after the announcement.

Thanks

No. I think that was discussed on this thread somewhere already.

Short: Due to DRM and the way the cast protocol is designed it is not possible. It is technically possible to play or resume the last played preset after an announcement. Iā€™m still working on resuming presets, that will work in the next release.

If you really need that, there is a different project on the forum that just supports announcements. This uses the broadcast feature, which resumes playback. Afaik that means that all Google Home (maybe also cast devices?) on your entire network play that message.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, and great support you provide!

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to see the use case for this via SmartThings. Will this allow Chromecast like Nvidia Shield, Chromecast audio to be speaker devices?

Currently I have my shield tablet, s8+ and Fire Tablet as speakers for Lannouncer and WebCore. Just trying to see how this SmartApp would work or if it is needed.

Going through these threads to find answers as well.

I have several WC pistons that do this. Message me and Iā€™ll send you the piston screenshot

That would be great, I tried several but none restored playback

Yes. Just like a Bose, Sonos or VLC integration into ST.

I scanned through this post and couldnā€™t find this issue so I hope I am not having anyone repeat themselves.

I have the node up with the cast-web-api. I can go to the IP:3000 and see the cast api text. But if I do a IP:3000/getDevices I get a HTTP 500 error.

I also get the same issue when trying to access from the smart app. On the node window it will say Request to: /getDevices and it will repeat every minute with no actual listing.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Sounds right, in the terminal it shows the devices responding but in some node.js apps it doesnā€™t show full logging. On my Dory app it just says request to get devices and is blank, however in the cast-web smart app in the ST app under discover devices, it shows my devices after a minute or so from /get devices.

casted music to group speaks via spotify and it played on the google home minis but not the two shields I have.

Hi all, Thanks dev for the amazing app. I am having an issue with webcore integration while sending long messages (over 4 letters) to google device. short messages such as ā€œoffā€, ā€œtestā€ or ā€œonā€ work fine, but anything longer doesnā€™t trigger the cast.

the logging message on the IDE is the following:

com.amazonaws.services.s3.model.AmazonS3Exception: The specified key does not exist. (Service: Amazon S3; Status Code: 404; Error Code: NoSuchKey; Request ID: edited), S3 Extended Request ID: edited/edited= @line 445 (speak)

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

Run the API with DEBUG=cast-web-api cast-web-api . Just put DEBUG=cast-web-api in front of the command you normally use. Then it will output debugging info to the terminal.

Yup, thatā€™s the expected behavior unless you enable debugging.

This is probably a ST error. They use AWS for TTS. Seems to be a problem with STā€™s implementation of it. Should probably resolve itself after a couple of hours.

Not sure if I got your problem right but no you cannot put any cast device that has a screen into an audio group.

1 Like

Hi @vervallsweg,

using cast-web quite a lot and love that I can get notifications from ST on cast devices. However, I donā€™t like the direction Samsung seems to be going with the new ST app (not supporting custom DTHs etc.), so I decided - like many other ST users - to look somewhere else. I just ordered a Hubitat are currently doing) hub which looks really promising. Apps and DTHs written for ST can apparently be ported to Hubitat with only a few changes. As of now, they donā€™t have a native TTS functionality, but itā€™s planned. Would you consider taking a look if the ST cast-web could be ported?

Thanks
Jan

1 Like

Iā€™m also thinking about jumping ship :joy:

Currently really busy with v1 of the API and DTH. Once Iā€™m done with that Iā€™ll look into other platforms. Also the new API will make developing for any platform much simpler since the API does all the heavy lifting.

If your alternative really needs Google Cast, Home Assistant supports it and openHab. OpenHap also supports Google Assistant, thatā€™s why itā€™s my favorite should the ST stuff go south.

Yep, just tried it, can confirm itā€™s still broken. The official speaker companion app wonā€™t even install. Same error. BigTalker works though.

This is so ridiculesā€¦ the under the hood implementation of TTS has been utter sh** for months now, thats one thing. But now not even the most basic things work anymore, that is just shocking. And that nobody at ST gives a crap is even worse.

2 Likes

This code works for TTS:

input "speakers", "capability.speechSynthesis", title: "On these speakers", multiple:true, required: false

speakers?.speak(msg)
1 Like

I know, just ST isnā€™t using it. They use the audio player capability.

Update: Yes, they fixed it :+1:

1 Like

By any chance do you know what methods are available for this capability, eg with regards to languages, voices, resume playback, etc?

I found that speakers.setLevel(volume) can change the sound level for this capability, just wondering what else there is

Well theres the new capability reference for it. Though STs own smartapps donā€™t always implement it properly.

What exactly are you trying to do though? cast-web supports not just audio-player and all that but also standard switch and dimmer for compatibility.

1 Like