[OBSOLETE] BigTalker 2.x

BigTalker can speak for each door individually, but it doesn’t analyze other events such as checking to see if another door is open before speaking. To do what you are wanting you will need to use a rule engine like WebCoRE.

1 Like

Hi
Are there installation guidelines available for big talker 2 with LANnouncher? I have the set the toggle switch to off but still have the “talk with” box grayed out and it says “you can’t currently add this” I am probably doing something stupid wrong. LANnouncer is installed and running. I am not sure if I need a premium account though etc. can anyone point me in the right direction please? Also did I see that right that ask Alexa is not available anymore correct? Thanks!!!

Never mind, I found the documentation on the LANnouncer website and have been able to set it all up! This is great! Thank you!! I am curious though on what the possibilities are to have announcements done on multiple devices? Do I need to buy a second android device or is there a way of having a second instance of Big Talker 2 running where the first instance is using LANnouncer and the second instance is using ask Alexa, or VLCthing?

Im using vervallsweg : Cast web - service manager to interface with my homes, but for the first time had music playing while an anocment came through (it worked) but it did not resume as i had it set to. has any one had any issues with resuming?

So I am confused, can big talker send thing to Ask Alex? Or is there something else in the middle?

If you have AskAlexa setup, BigTalker can send to your AskAlexa queue. Amazon doesn’t allow the Echo/Alexa to speak without being prompted by the user though so AskAlexa queue’s the messages and then you can prompt it by saying “Alexa, Tell xxxxx to play my messages” (where xxxxx is your Ask Alexa invocation name. I have mine set to “My Home”. So “Alexa, Tell My Home to play messages”. Your’s may be “SmartThings” which I think is the default. To send a message from BigTalker to the AskAlexa queue, just include %askalexa% in the phrase.

1 Like

Hi, hoping someone may be able to help. Getting my system set up with a tablet near the front door, on a static IP, running big talker, used to speak announcements. Works fine for maybe a day then the announcements stop

I need to run lannouncer again and then everything is fine again. Any ideas how to avoid needing the rerun? Ta

Is your Wi-Fi disconnecting when the tablet goes to sleep?

no. I did forget to set the ‘don’t battery optimise’ setting for lannouncer though. So I’ve altered that, and we’ll see how it goes.

Still doing it. Bah.

Splashed out on an android box with a wired connection.

tada

No more issues. Wifi is wank. = )

2 Likes

when I use the update from repo option I get this error.

HI there,

Do you know how I can include a “pause” in the speech . Ideally would like bigtalker to pause while reading the sentence I give it for a certain period of time then continue with the rest of the sentence

Also any way we can loop the sentence x times ?

Thanks,

Sorry if I missed it in the thread. Does this work with google home?

Thanks
Bill P

1 Like

sorry, just found out im still on the 1.1.12 version.

since this is not an upgrade from version 1.1.12, do i have delete everything related to the old version and install the version 2 or i can just leave the older version and install/configure ver 2.

Sorry if I missed it in the thread. Does this work with google home?

I would also like to know an answer to this question.

yes but you will need something like, vervallsweg : Cast web - service manager, runing on a phone or Pi

Any chance we can get something like %beep% we use this to monitor the kids doors to know when they leave their bedrooms, but we slept through a voice announcement. A couple beers in front of it would be helpful.
I considered the mp3 option, but I want to know the status of the door.
Thanks for a great app though. This thing really is awesome.

1 Like

I got it all setup, and from the Smartthings Classic app, I can use the BigTalker2 SmartApp to Talk Now for instance and that works fine. But when i try to add Even Group, i just hang…UI shows the spinner. any ideas?

When I go into the BigTalker2 app and head over to Talk Now, I get a “Something’s wrong we cant load your screen right now.” Any suggestions to rectify this?